Thread: Trolling speed /mooching speed.

Default Trolling speed /mooching speed.

What is the preferred speed for trolling in the SE ?. Ive heard somewhere around 3 miles per hour. Is this credible? Also , is this the same as "power mooching " or just similar. Also has the tide inflow/outflow got any bearing on the way you troll or mooch? i.e. can you troll into the tide or vice versa with the tide? thanks from ireland

I usually try to keep the speed around 2.2-3 and do well..Obviously it speeds up going with the tide or waves sometimes pushing 5..and have hooked up anywhere in between..but when I mark the fish..I just continue to do passes when hooked up. I mark every hit and eventually I can see where the schools are. I will bounce back and forth on the schools. Don't mooch to much..but normally we just stop on the marked fish and drop it down..slow retrieve until we hook up. Good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Duckhunter 01 is dead on for trolling speeds. For me I like as close to 2 mph as I can get. Power mooching is my favorite though and for me about 1 to 1.5 mph is my speed but I stop frequently until I find a school, then I stop.
    Tony

Troll speed is your speed relative to water, not relative to ground. Speed depends on what you are doing.

A lot of SE mooching may occur in a stiff breeze, and in a typical cabin boat, that has you backing into the wind to control the speed of your drift. You want line angle between 60 and 45 off horizontal while mooching. If the water is calm, you may have to idle forward in and out of gear to get the right mooch speed. You'll have a tough time doing this unless you have a kicker with enough shaft length to direct thrust under your hull vs. having it stack up at the stern. A typical main outboard or I/O leg will have too much reverse thrust to work well backing into the wind, unless it's really whipping.

Dodgers in my experience fish slow, along with cut-plug herring. Slow to me is sub-2mph. 11" plastic flashers with hoochie, spoon or bait in a helmet trolls at medium speed, 2-3mph. Tomic plugs are meant to go fast, 3+ mph. Last season in SC alaska I had a good day pulling 7" tomics as fast as a 15hp kicker could push a 28' boat against a stiff 15+ mph breeze. That's gotta be close to 4 knots water speed, and we limited on kings (6) in a couple hours.

Troll with the current in order to cover water and present your stuff as a surprise to fish hanging out with their nose facing the current.

I'm not in SE, but over the last 40 years in lots of different waters, I've formed some preferences. They're what I try first, then adjust if not producing: Cutplug herring- 1.8-2.2mph; Whole herring- 2.2-2.5mph; Spoons- 2.5-3.0mph; Hoochies- 3.0-3.5mph; Plugs- 3.5-5.0mph. Size factors in too, however, and the larger the herring/spoon/hoochie/plug, the more I edge toward the top of those ranges. The exception appears to be really large hoochies- 7" and up. I treat those like plugs and really hammer the throttle.

fantastic information. thanks. There is one thing I did pick up on and am curious to know more about. Vek said that some times the fish face into the current. Is this correct. What is behind this as it appears to be very important. Thanks

Yes..but you can find them in any type of formation. The tides tend to shift and one hour they might be facing one way and the next the other way..keep in mind they are eating and whatever the bait is doing they will be below or behind..so just depends. Also take in account structure etc. They might be behind a rock formation hanging out for baitfish to drift by or over with a stronger current...Best advice is just get out there and give it a shot, find out what works for you and your lures. When they are in the bay or wherever you are fishing, you will hook up..stay with what works, make adjustments and then dial it in. Take notes. I have a log book I use and have documented Res Bay with water temps, where I caught fish, time of day, tide info etc. After 8 years..it adds up to a pattern if you will depending on fish migrations times..and then again, sometimes it don't mean $$$$.. I just get lucky!..
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Good explanation!

I find that some days it doesn't matter which direction you troll, but more often it does. After hooking a fish I'll usually turn around and troll back through in the opposite direction, but if that doesn't work I'll reverse again and troll back in the original direction. I'm prone when I find the "right" direction to picking up and running back to my starting point for another pass, rather than trolling back through the area in the opposite direction. If I'm unsure, I'll zigzag back and forth across the current. When doing so, surprisingly often I'll pick up my fish as I make my turns. Depending on whether the hookup was on the inside our outside of the turn, that tells me whether to speed up or slow down my overall trolling speed.

Fantastic work!!. That makes a lot of sense. Do the salmon school up in shoals around the likely areas or are they travelling on their own through these grounds. What about bait balls? Is it fair to assume that the salmon will be near or close too large schools of bait. Is it prudent to seek out and target these masses of bait giving rise to their attraction to the fish. thanks from a very rainy Ireland

Yes and Yes

Luck of the Irish...if your ever up around Seward in August of next year...look me up. I'll school ya and take ya out

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Fantastic work!!. That makes a lot of sense. Do the salmon school up in shoals around the likely areas or are they travelling on their own through these grounds. What about bait balls? Is it fair to assume that the salmon will be near or close too large schools of bait. Is it prudent to seek out and target these masses of bait giving rise to their attraction to the fish. thanks from a very rainy Ireland

troll speed is pretty subjective. Some days you want to troll as slow as you possibly can, with threaded herring/11" flasher. Just fast enough to turn that flasher. Other days you can troll as fast as you can.

Mooching is what I do when I guide 98% of the time. Controlling line angle, doing drifts to hit the "sweet" spots, and know the correct drifts is an art form, IMO. The catch rates between the rookies and the vets is astounding. I like a little angle on my anglers lines, as straight up and down causes tangles. Too much angle is problematic, as you are fishing via your sounder. You see just about everything you catch, and being at the right depth is key to stacking them. Unless you are a math wiz, and you can do calculations/angle determinations rather quickly, too much angle can keep you off fish when you mark that school of kings down 80ft, and you have a 60 degree angle. Then, you have to hope they are still there by the time your baits get there and you hope that 100ft on your line counter is the right depth.. I like a 10 degree angle, so I can call out those schools, guys drop to em, and we get multiple hook ups. It's all about getting in a drift with lots of kings/cohos, and staying in that sweet spot. Often times the drift is only 50-100yds. Sometimes the spot is no bigger than 10yds. If it's in a kelp pothole, just park on it, don't move, and slay fish. Soft casts to the side of the boat will eliminate many tangles. If I'm in a spot where the tide rips, I do drift with the tide and use my engine to create a bit of an angle. Get the to bottom of the drift, motor to the top and do it again. A lot of guys mooch with the 8hp or 9.9 hp kickers. Basically backbouncing in the current. An extreemely effective way to fish.

I'll put it to you this way.. Once you become savvy on how fish school, where they like to be, and how they relate to the current/structure, you'll be getting 3-4-5-6 kings on at once when you drift over the correct spots, while other boats just watch, thinking you are lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    ...while other boats just watch, thinking you are lucky.
    There's a lifetime of wisdom in that.

Kinda funny when guys come and park right on top of you and STILL can't catch a fish. Had a guy shadow us while we were mooching last fall, never more than 100' away. I'd have been really pizzed if it wasn't so funny.

The five of us put 10 silvers and 4 kings on the boat in an hour, while the other boat blanked. Best of all, we were laughing and living it up, while the folks on the other boat were giving evil looks to the poor smuck driver. I'm willing to bet he never comes within sight of my boat again when he has clients on board. At least until he learns how to mooch before trying to have clients do it. After all, he's a pro and I'm a sport.

I've had days where it was like I was under some sort of evil curse, from the fish gods.. haha Why is everybody catching fish but me?! And, when you are mooching, you are totally at the mercy of the guys setting the hook. The guys decided to drive me nuts and miss 7 straight bites yesterday. We got them, but it took a bit longer than usual.

I got swarmed out of nowhere by a bunch of fake guides yesterday. It was rough.. really rough. Nothing like trying to fish with a bunch of fake guides, with no real clue as to what they are doing, all trying to park on some spot that really didn't exist except one of them hooked a king out of it and must of told all the other illegal guides a few kings must be there. I just left after I almost got ran over a few times. They guys trolling downriggers 15ft next to me was the frosting on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    They guys trolling downriggers 15ft next to me was the frosting on the cake.
    Ugh. BTDT!

Kinda fun to look for places with ball grabbers nearby. Nothing like watching guys snap wires to make your day!

I need to track down our trooper today, as I'm seeing things that don't quite look right out there. Those guys pull up, and start gaffing (no kidding) 6-7lb halibut. I was trying to count, but I didn't see them release any, and the bottom is carpeted with them. Waterfall boat pulled up and did the same thing, but I'm pretty sure he kept his limit! Good Lord guys.. What do you get, 2.5lbs of meat of those fish?

Really !!!!! oh my god. I cant believe other boats are like that...Crazy and very dis-respectful. The whole process of mooching looks very simple enough ,however I am experienced enough to know that , in reality , to be very successful I will need to learn the whole process on the saltwater. There is sure a lot of water out there!!!! Is the main bait used herring????