Thread: What kind of wax do you use on traps?

Default What kind of wax do you use on traps?

Hello, new to trapping here, I bought some 110's and looking to dip them in wax. My problem is trying to figure out what type of wax to use. I figured I would try to get unscented, but I am having a hard time finding it in the store. Any help would be appreciated!

Locally purchased Paraffin wax.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Supporting Member

If you wax your body-grippers, be sure to scrape the wax from the area where the dog and trigger come in contact or they will fire by themselves. Be careful! Waxed body-grippers can snatch your finger in a hurry.

As spike said i really would not recommend waxing body grippers. I tried it and it hurts especially on those cold days you are setting them. If you feel you want to do something with them then dye the traps.

See I worry about them rusting and sticking.. Again I am VERY new to trapping as these are my first traps.

Don't wax your traps for Alaska trapping. Waxing is for rust prevention when using flake type salts or freeze preventers so to speak,,, in the soil to prevent traps from freezing down and slow fireing. Alaska trappers are usualy covering with snow of other non corosive material. Also in cold temps wax can slow a trap down. Traps in snow for 2 or 3 months do not rust. Simmer in logwood for an hour to dye and they will be good for a few years. If they show signs of a little rust re-boil them in dye. The logwood is also a rust preventer. I all so do this with my water traps.

Will do! Thanks for the heads up!

Another option is any of the speed dip type coatings- the ones that combine with gasoline. Several companies have variations of this type coating, and several color options are available. I've been using this stuff for as long as I can remember. With the bodygrippers I take a bit of sandpaper to the notch on the dog and test set them to make sure everything is working the way it's supposed to. In my opinion there's just no reason to wax traps (messy and dangerous) with other options available. Whatever you decide to go with, best of wishes to you.

I don't think even speed dipping is worth it on conni's in the interior.

The one thing wax does do on conni's is help with keeping critters from freezing to the metal to some degree. You're still likely going to need to take them home so its moot imho.

Another pitfall of them for marten/mink lines, You need to bring extra traps when you make a catch. I cant vouch for wax, I also don't use it. I do use 110s and carry a handful to replace the few I run. They do however when used with a coffee or similar style set, are the only traps we have working after a good snow. The way the last few years have gone with the freeze thaw Chinooks, we've had misses or flat out misfires, where the coni's kept firing. Its the selling point for me and conibears for a marten line. Smaller poles for the number 1's would work also.

You don't need to be scent free for marten. Heck you don't even need to hide the trap! Mink I had a short line that had a few spots I could set for them. The master of bait robbery. Stuck out some 1's and fixed that issue lol. If you run for mink, hammer the wire ends flat drill a hole and run some mono or fine wire between them and tune the triggers!!!

I don't use wax on my traps either but I do use speed dip on my conis. If you are trapping in areas with a lot of tundra the swampy water often has a high iron content and speed dip helps with the rusting problems when they are under the ice in water. I have had otter sets in place for a couple weeks before they made a catch and the end result was a rust stain on the otter from the trap being submerge for a bit of time. If your not going to be placing them in water it is not as much a concern but rust stains can be avoided by using speed dip. All conis rust eventually and rust stains will downgrade a piece of fur. It is kinda bs on the buyers part as I have never seen a rust stain show after tanning and I generally tan all my fur.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

mix rustoleum paint and paint thinner 50/50 and dip your coni's in there and hang to dry...........