Thread: Chitna Advice

Default Chitna Advice

Hi everyone!

Anybody have any tips for a first time Chitna dipnetter? I have done the Kenai things but wanted to change things up a bit. My wife and I are planning to head down Saturday afternoon sometime. Thank you so much for any tips or info!!

Aaron

My suggestion would be ....first thing go to obrien creek ask what success the charter operator is having. Now u should have an idea if the fish are around.u could try it on your own but remember I don't think he works on sunday it

U could ask around town or other dippers on where to go. If all else fails the charter may be the easiest way to go home with fish. Good luck be safe u might want to bring a tie off rope waders and a life jacket just in case.

Call the hotline. Make the dive, stack your cooler in line the night before and be ready for first light. Midweek suicide trips will see less people.

All about timing.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

DO NOT take your heavy 5 foot kenai fishery net, i repeat, do not take your giant kenai net.....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    DO NOT take your heavy 5 foot kenai fishery net, i repeat, do not take your giant kenai net.....
    Yep Smaller hoops = less drag. It's a class II^ push.

here's the FAQ...
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    +100....Absolutely do not take a giant hoop. The bulk of broken hoops I've seen are those large ones. Small hoop with a deep bag will work better. It's all about where you put the net for the Copper, not at all like dipping the Kenai.

I also prefer a fiberglass pole because they take the flex and force of the water better than aluminum.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I also prefer a fiberglass pole because they take the flex and force of the water better than aluminum.
    Antenna mast steel my preference for boat dipping. Will not tweak or split.

Super strut connector for hoop.

Keep in mind everything is pushing flood stage. The weekend is calling for rain in conjunction with temps in the 70's.

The charters(chitina dipnet) have stopped operating due to flood stages.

Wouldn't be surprised is someone takes a swim and requires a rescue.

Think smart.

If you're in an area where you can sweep, I've found a large salmon landing net works great, but it's not for deep water or anything you have to reach very far for. That gets exhausting quickly. We were dropped in one spot a few years back that had a good eddy but there was only room for one net. The other person swept where the current wrapped around a point/rock as close to the rock as possible with the net barely under water and that net probably got more fish.

If you haven't already, watch these http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rChitina.video