Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Whittier retrieving.

  1. #1

    Default Whittier retrieving.

    When they open two launch lanes to retrieving why not open the two that the wind blows IN TO? I had an inexperenced boater bang into my boat on sunday mid day. Not really blaming him as we all need to gain experence. And he apologized many times but it would be so much easier if they opened the correct launches according to wind direction. And how about helping the guy who comes in right behind you. I did this sunday and the guy couldnt thank me enough. Makes it a little less stressful for all.

  2. #2
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Seems like common sense....
    BK

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Seems like common sense....
    BK
    Something Whittier lacks! Treat us like we are not wanted, but leave our money and don't expect a thank you.

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm just curious as I haven't used whittiers facilities in the 28 years I've been a resident but what exactly is the issue there? I hear more people complaining about the harbor and launch than anywhere else by far. I've never had a single issue out of Seward or Homer where I normally launch.

  5. #5
    Member Grizzly Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    356

    Default

    I thought the Harbor Masters did it on purpose for some cheap entertainment.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?” --Jack Handy

  6. #6
    Member FishKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    260

    Default

    They need a Harbor Master who knows boating and not KNOWS THE RIGHT PERSON....... Go visit them and you will see why the place is a mess.

  7. #7
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Sounds like a normal small town dislike of tourist.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  8. #8
    Sponsor Hoytguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    1,272

    Default

    The toothless gal huffing and puffing and running in circles back and forth wearing a orange road guard vest at the launch is their for pure entertainment.. I have sat in my truck waiting to launch for a hour or more.. Pure entertainment I tell ya.. if you look at it any other way, your blood pressure will rise and you could stroke out, when I am waiting at the tunnel, I prepare myself mentally for the dumbness I am about to encounter.. I don't know where they find these folks or who does the hiring process, but man they sure know how to pick em..
    Last edited by Hoytguy; 06-18-2013 at 16:09. Reason: spelling
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

  9. #9
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    Something Whittier lacks! Treat us like we are not wanted, but leave our money and don't expect a thank you.
    Seward was that way back in the 70's

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    489

    Default

    The gal working this weekend, had no idea what was going on. My wife and her got to talking and it was her first day. She was letting people do whatever they pleased.
    Something needs to change over there

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Sounds like a normal small town dislike of tourist.
    Now it all make sense, you think everyone in Anchorage are tourist.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    The gal working this weekend, had no idea what was going on. My wife and her got to talking and it was her first day. She was letting people do whatever they pleased.
    Something needs to change over there
    If it's the same gal that I saw there this weekend (Sunday mid morning), then she's been there for several years. Yet she seems to still have not learned anything about what she is supposed to be doing. So Sunday morning the wind is howling and I motor up to the ramp to retrieve. No signs at the end of the ramp stating which lanes are for retrieving and which are for launching. So everywhere there are boats tied up wanting to head out and wanting to head in. What a cluster. Someone finally made room for me at the end as I'm trying to not get blown into the breakwater or other boats while waiting for a space. I asked the gal at the top of the ramp why there are not signs at the end of the ramp telling me which lane I need to be in and she says that every time they put the signs down there when it is windy the signs blow into the water. I suggested to here that the City of Whittier figure out a way to weigh them down (gee, maybe a sand bag????). Then at top of the ramp there are two signs. As you're looking down from the ramp, there's a sign between the two left lands that say retrieve. At the far right ramp is a sign that says launch. The left retrieve sign is mid way between the two left lanes so I ask her how anyone would know which lanes the retrieve sign is referring to. She said the left lane. If it's between the two lanes, then how would someone know??? I suggested that they place an arrow on the signs pointing to which lane the signs are referring to. Oh, and I should mention that sitting next to the retrieve sign as a cone that said IN, which was sort of referring to the middle lane but obviously not since she said the middle lane was for launching. And on a Sunday when there are lots more boats being retrieved than launched, shouldn't they have 2 of the 3 lanes designated for retrieving and not launching? Then I get back with my trailer and there's a guy in addition to the gal at the ramp. Great, I think. Now she has some help. But all the guy is doing is collecting their ramp money from the box. And she's crawled into a pickup and is just sitting there with a blank look on her face. After he gets the money he gets into the pickup with the gal and they both drive off. So why in the world wasn't someone physically down at the end of the ramp directing people coming in to retrieve to the correct lane? Oh, and when I was backing down the ramp to launch Friday, trying to hurry up and get out of people's way and dodging tourists, she stops me. I'm thinking it had better be for a good reason. She stopped me to ask if I had considered getting an annual launch pass. Is there any oversight at all of the people who are at the ramp who are supposed to be helping? They are no help whatsoever. And after having worked at the ramp for several years wouldn't you think that they'd learn something? Anything? Has anybody ever talked to the Harbormaster about this problem or offered solutions?

  13. #13
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Now it all make sense, you think everyone in Anchorage are tourist.
    Everyone from Anchorage ARE tourists..... Alaska is just an hour away from Anchorage

  14. #14
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    If it's the same gal that I saw there this weekend (Sunday mid morning), then she's been there for several years. Yet she seems to still have not learned anything about what she is supposed to be doing. So Sunday morning the wind is howling and I motor up to the ramp to retrieve. No signs at the end of the ramp stating which lanes are for retrieving and which are for launching. So everywhere there are boats tied up wanting to head out and wanting to head in. What a cluster. Someone finally made room for me at the end as I'm trying to not get blown into the breakwater or other boats while waiting for a space. I asked the gal at the top of the ramp why there are not signs at the end of the ramp telling me which lane I need to be in and she says that every time they put the signs down there when it is windy the signs blow into the water. I suggested to here that the City of Whittier figure out a way to weigh them down (gee, maybe a sand bag????). Then at top of the ramp there are two signs. As you're looking down from the ramp, there's a sign between the two left lands that say retrieve. At the far right ramp is a sign that says launch. The left retrieve sign is mid way between the two left lanes so I ask her how anyone would know which lanes the retrieve sign is referring to. She said the left lane. If it's between the two lanes, then how would someone know??? I suggested that they place an arrow on the signs pointing to which lane the signs are referring to. Oh, and I should mention that sitting next to the retrieve sign as a cone that said IN, which was sort of referring to the middle lane but obviously not since she said the middle lane was for launching. And on a Sunday when there are lots more boats being retrieved than launched, shouldn't they have 2 of the 3 lanes designated for retrieving and not launching? Then I get back with my trailer and there's a guy in addition to the gal at the ramp. Great, I think. Now she has some help. But all the guy is doing is collecting their ramp money from the box. And she's crawled into a pickup and is just sitting there with a blank look on her face. After he gets the money he gets into the pickup with the gal and they both drive off. So why in the world wasn't someone physically down at the end of the ramp directing people coming in to retrieve to the correct lane? Oh, and when I was backing down the ramp to launch Friday, trying to hurry up and get out of people's way and dodging tourists, she stops me. I'm thinking it had better be for a good reason. She stopped me to ask if I had considered getting an annual launch pass. Is there any oversight at all of the people who are at the ramp who are supposed to be helping? They are no help whatsoever. And after having worked at the ramp for several years wouldn't you think that they'd learn something? Anything? Has anybody ever talked to the Harbormaster about this problem or offered solutions?
    whittier is on channel pluto we are on channel earth a connection will never be made Couple of years ago girl in vest comes out on the dock when i'm putting my boat on the trailer and with a nice smile says "need some help getting the boat on your trailer" i say thanks but i'm ok, i get all loaded up and start up the ramp she comes back and says "you can't pull out here this lane is for launching" ???? I was the only boat on the whole ramp !!

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  15. #15
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    I'm just curious as I haven't used whittiers facilities in the 28 years I've been a resident but what exactly is the issue there? I hear more people complaining about the harbor and launch than anywhere else by far. I've never had a single issue out of Seward or Homer where I normally launch.

    A combination of facilties that aren't sized for the amount of traffic that goes through the harbor, just enough clueless/dawdling boaters to throw a wrench in the works and the stress from trying to make the tunnel opening vs. sitting in your truck for 55 minutes because the people ahead of you seem to be oblivious to the fact that there are 1/2 dozen boats tied up behind you and a couple more trying not to get blown into something or somebody as they wait for the boats to move forward in line.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  16. #16
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Everyone from Anchorage ARE tourists..... Alaska is just an hour away from Anchorage
    Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!


    As to Whittier, the State put the road in through the tunnel, into a town that previously had no road....And folks lived there for that very reason.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  17. #17
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,838

    Default

    Maybe they should blow up the tunnel to keep us out.........OR - hey, I know, deal with it professionally and correctly...ya right. I really don't mind the facilities, it is just people that can't back up or put their boat on a trailer quickly. This process should be a 3 minute deal - not 10, or 15, or more.

  18. #18
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    I've been a fan of blowing up the Stariski Creek bridge for years, but alas...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  19. #19
    Member cormit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tustumena Lake Road
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Maybe they should blow up the tunnel to keep us out.........OR - hey, I know, deal with it professionally and correctly...ya right. I really don't mind the facilities, it is just people that can't back up or put their boat on a trailer quickly. This process should be a 3 minute deal - not 10, or 15, or more.

    I would support a launch fee ..... by the minute ..... however long it takes to launch. I'm pretty sure I can back in ..... push the boat off the trailer .... and pull off the ramp in three minutes. How about $5 bucks a minute to launch?

    Some folks go into a trance once they back onto the ramp ..... then turn into 'dock potatoes' ..... eyes glaze over ... and all thought processes shut down. Unexplainable.

  20. #20
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,838

    Default

    The guy in front of me today decided to clean up the inside of his boat after he put it on the trailer, but before he moved his truck up the ramp.....then he washed it down so he definitely could have done it then instead........ CS ain't so common any more - and this was a newer kingfisher - more money than sense I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •