Thread: Question about Salmon fishing in Seward

Default Question about Salmon fishing in Seward

Ok, just so every one knows I have only fished in Seward a hand full of times and it was always for Silvers never reds and the last time I went was at least 5 or 6 years ago. I am reading the regs and I believe its saying if your in fresh water 3 Salmon per day only 2 may be coho, but in salt water your allowed 6 salmon per day. Am I reading this correctly, if you fish in the creeks only 3 but if you fish or snag out in salt water you can get 6? My wife and I are planning a possible trip down to Seward this Saturday and I want to make sure I understand this properly.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

I figured some one on here who is more familiar with the area and its regulations could help me clarify that I am reading it correctly. Also I wasn't sure if I should post in Fresh or Salt water forums as it pertains to both lol.

To further confuse the matter, the limit of 6 per day in the saltwater is only good in Resserection Bay itself. Once you leave the bay, the limit is 3 salmon per day.

I'd have to look at the freshwater regs, don't know them off the top of my head.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Well the Fresh water regs were just a little further down in the link I posted. I am pretty sure its just 3 in the rivers/creeks but wanted to make sure it was in fact still 6 in salt. The way they set up the regs I swear some times you need a lawyer just to go through the fine print lol.

Last few times I was in Seward I was snagging for silvers and may go snagging for reds this time around if I can keep 6 fish. It all depends on how well my wife takes to it too lol, if she has a hard time snagging may just pack up and hit the creeks with some flies. Shes never snagged before so not sure if she will like it.

The plan is if we limit out on Reds then we may turn around and try fishing off the docks for flounder as well, but the goal is the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Well the Fresh water regs were just a little further down in the link I posted. I am pretty sure its just 3 in the rivers/creeks but wanted to make sure it was in fact still 6 in salt. The way they set up the regs I swear some times you need a lawyer just to go through the fine print lol.

Last few times I was in Seward I was snagging for silvers and may go snagging for reds this time around if I can keep 6 fish. It all depends on how well my wife takes to it too lol, if she has a hard time snagging may just pack up and hit the creeks with some flies. Shes never snagged before so not sure if she will like it.

The plan is if we limit out on Reds then we may turn around and try fishing off the docks for flounder as well, but the goal is the Reds.
    It is 6 salmon in the bay only. You have a marker up river that marks fresh water, then no snagging at all. To double check and make sure, you can call the troupers or you can PM them here and ask. I've used it and it works out well.
    Tony

Thanks for the info