Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Rigging

Default Shrimp Rigging

I went shrimping for the 1st time by myself and was sure to pick the last two crud days before it got nice. I was using new line...didn't have any issues with my weighted line but my floating lines got sooo twisted up. For one thing, I think my lines to the pot bridles were way too long so I just finished shortening them a good bit. Do these floating lines limber up with use or is this just part of the deal? I was thinking about getting into some deep water, putting a swivel and a good amount of weight on and just suspending it for a while in hopes of the kinks unwinding. Also, I have Steve's folding pots with my bridles are attached in the middle of the end panels...tunnels are on the side. Is there a particular way to attach them that would help avoid spinning? Going to try to leave tonight for a couple days. Thanks for any help.

If you flaked the line into whatever tub you store it in with a twist, the twist is going to stay there. The pots don't spin around as they are dropping, you have a twist in the line and need to get it out one way or another.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yep, that makes sense. I imagine if I don't get them straightened out they'll probably get even worse. Thanks, Paul.

Drag the line behind the boat, at speed for a ways and it will straighten it and limber it up a bit as well. Pick your area for this, id want to be out of Passage or at least on the off side in case i needed to stop for some reason and didnt want anyone running thru the line.

Early on, I had a heck of a time getting the right lay when buying line, this too makes a difference, a big difference.Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Drag the line behind the boat, at speed for a ways and it will straighten it and limber it up a bit as well. Pick your area for this, id want to be out of Passage or at least on the off side in case i needed to stop for some reason and didnt want anyone running thru the line.

Early on, I had a heck of a time getting the right lay when buying line, this too makes a difference, a big difference.Mike
    Thanks, Mike. Think I should attach some weight to the end or will just towing the line take care of it?

Attach a weight, tie off the bitter end (end opposite the weight) , let it dangle in water deeper than the line, and just drift for a bit. it will twist as it needs to get straight.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have had this problem ever since i got a full three string made for me by the pot builder. Do not take this the wrong way Steve's gear is awesome. I think i did something wrong when attaching it all together. It is all fine and dandy with his amazing white sinking rope, but once i get to the floating line the rope does all kinds of twists and figure eights. I have to bring it to an ISO pad at work and stretch it all out and undo all the twists. I wondered if it was because i was not twisting the white rope and letting it just fall into the bucket. that made the floating line twist all up. it is quite annoying but it is not that bad i guess. the more i use it the more it gets better, so maybe stretching it like they say will help....

If you get line on a spool and flake it off vs. rolling it off the spool you can impart a nasty twist. My anchor line suffers this fate and I need to drop it down to get the twists out.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Just tie a buoy to the end and pay all the line out and tow it for awhile. I keep a swivel between the buoy and the line to let the twists out.

Just towing the loose line with nothing on the end is fine. Ive never tried the buoy but see no reason that it wouldnt work too, im just to lazy i guess. Most of us use floating line between the pots and sinking to the surface, dont get too hung up about this, with any speed at all, its not going to deep. Haven't any of you used this trick on a reel of fish line that was spooled improperly or become twisted? Works real well!

For anchor line, I'd never consider anything but double braid, no hockles and very user friendly.
    Mike

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Outa here in about a half hour....sure hope there really is a 11 pm tunnel opening....

Good thing I rechecked the tunnel schedule...barely made it. Got the line straightened out pretty good but it has memory and wants to retwist. I think my capstan puller is the real culprit...line thats wrapped 3-4 times around that small circumference with the weight of pots overboard, etc. seems to make for tight coils. Thats fine until I get to the next dropper and that is where things want to get balled up. Still, Its much better than it was. Struck out big time prospecting for shrimp but finally found some on my last 2 sets..oh the joys of being a novice! Ended up with a 5 gallon bucket full...beats getting skunked!

When putting my pots in the water, I either drive in a big circle letting the line play out or I play it out by hand. Even doing it that way, I still get tangles on occasion. I can't work up the stones to just throw the whole coil overboard like I see them do on the crab show. Do any of you throw the whole coil over at once?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    When putting my pots in the water, I either drive in a big circle letting the line play out or I play it out by hand. Even doing it that way, I still get tangles on occasion. I can't work up the stones to just throw the whole coil overboard like I see them do on the crab show. Do any of you throw the whole coil over at once?
    We do the same then make sure the float stays there and GPS it.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Boater View Post
    If you want to throw coils of rope overboard then buy that hard cable lay rope that the crabbers use, you won't like trying to haul it, store it, tieing knots in it or even worse trying to splice it. One of those expensive Marco King coilers they have behind the hauler also helps a lot.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Good thing I rechecked the tunnel schedule...barely made it. Got the line straightened out pretty good but it has memory and wants to retwist. I think my capstan puller is the real culprit...line thats wrapped 3-4 times around that small circumference with the weight of pots overboard, etc. seems to make for tight coils. Thats fine until I get to the next dropper and that is where things want to get balled up. Still, Its much better than it was. Struck out big time prospecting for shrimp but finally found some on my last 2 sets..oh the joys of being a novice! Ended up with a 5 gallon bucket full...beats getting skunked!
    That little captsan head spinning fast will definitely put arse holes in the rope, when you get to the dropper knot try taking most of the turns off before running it around the capstan. The rope should get better with more use as it gets stretched and the lay settles in.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    That little captsan head spinning fast will definitely put arse holes in the rope, when you get to the dropper knot try taking most of the turns off before running it around the capstan. The rope should get better with more use as it gets stretched and the lay settles in.
    Excellent description! I have enough rope arse holes for everyone. I had been taking all the wraps off the capstan when I got to the droppers and hand pulling past the capstan...instant birds nests... but if I left a wrap on there as you suggest, the line would probably stay more consistent. I'll try it! And to think, I actually have a Electra-dyne sitting on the garage floor...bought new wheels from you about 3 yrs back. When I was redoing my boat, I just couldn't figure out how or where to put it. Sure sorry now as my back and arms are buggered and the E.D. would make life a bunch easier, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Excellent description! I have enough rope arse holes for everyone. I had been taking all the wraps off the capstan when I got to the droppers and hand pulling past the capstan...instant birds nests... but if I left a wrap on there as you suggest, the line would probably stay more consistent. I'll try it! And to think, I actually have a Electra-dyne sitting on the garage floor...bought new wheels from you about 3 yrs back. When I was redoing my boat, I just couldn't figure out how or where to put it. Sure sorry now as my back and arms are buggered and the E.D. would make life a bunch easier, for sure!
    doh!!(palm slapping forehead) !!!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

[QUOTE=potbuilder;1296596]doh!!(palm slapping forehead) !!!![/QUOT

Thanks, Steve....really needed that. ( not that I disagree, though) Whens the best time to call you? Outboard is down so I might as well bite the bullet and get puller end of the deal taken care of.

Get the Electradyne. It's the only way to go if you have room for it.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast