Thread: Bear on the HWY

Default Bear on the HWY

Everyone remembers the bear that was harvested on the Hwy while the tourists where watching. Heard while fishing this weekend that there is legislation, if someone is taking a picture of a bear/animal it will be illegal to harvest. Has anyone heard this? If true and it passes are we not arming every ANTI to run around with a camera and claim the animal?

if they take precident they should have to help fund fish and game like the hunting license holders do.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I wouldn't interfere with a non consumptive user already viewing an animal. I would simply enjoy watching it and when it looked like they were going to move on I would ask if they are done using the animal. Once they affirmed I would go about harvesting it. Conversely if I am actively using the animal through pursuit with intention to harvest then they need to make sure that they do not interfere with my hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Heard while fishing this weekend that there is legislation, if someone is taking a picture of a bear/animal it will be illegal to harvest.
    The Alaska legislature has adjourned for 2013. If what you "heard" is true, the bill won't be discussed till next year. Doubt it would get much attention if it is introduced.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Everyone remembers the bear that was harvested on the Hwy while the tourists where watching. Heard while fishing this weekend that there is legislation, if someone is taking a picture of a bear/animal it will be illegal to harvest. Has anyone heard this? If true and it passes are we not arming every ANTI to run around with a camera and claim the animal?
    Not possible, as there is no way to determine if someone happens to be looking at an animal/taking it's picture at any given time. Someone could be using a 60X spotting scope to look at a bear a mile away and that makes it illegal for someone else to take it? I don't buy that for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I wouldn't interfere with a non consumptive user already viewing an animal. I would simply enjoy watching it and when it looked like they were going to move on I would ask if they are done using the animal. Once they affirmed I would go about harvesting it..........
    I know a native man who did exactly that on the Denali Highway back in the early 1990's. When the tourist/photographers were finished with their viewing/photography and were piling back into their vehicle, he asked them if they were finished. They responded in the affirmative. He then walked back to his pickup, retrieved his rifle, stepped off the highway, and shot the caribou. The tourists exited their vehicle and protested angrily, then left. As my friend was finishing the bagging/packing to his vehicle, the tourists pulled back up with a trooper behind them that they had flagged down. After questioning all on the spot, the trooper said no foul, and all left.

I thought it was the funniest thing I'd heard about in years..............

Sure seems like there are a lot of off-the-wall things being "heard" this spring, from mass caribou calf die offs to new legislation. We need to remember that once you get past the primary source, the stories can change quickly and dramatically. Also, there are always wacky things being proposed to or asked of the board of game, legislature, or local governments by pro and anti groups alike that have as much likelyhood of succeeding as water does of running uphill.

I just heard the other day while standing around the water cooler that Congress is passing a bill to ensure that proof of sex must remain naturally attached to a harvested Yetis in Unit 13, and if taken in unit 20 entire animal has to be salvaged.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Its already in the regs, has been for ever guys! Don't a have set of regs infront of me, but its there, called the "hunter harassment law" it goes both ways, if they see before you do or are already there, gotta wait it out. It's highlighted in a green box near the front of regs. I once pressed charges, but didn't take it court as I took troopers advice, he said she said bs in court. The offenders lawyered, good enough for me, proved they were in the wrong. Hold your ground when needed! We, I, was clearly in the right in my insident, but in court it woulda been a battle maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Its already in the regs, has been for ever guys! Don't a have set of regs infront of me, but its there, called the "hunter harassment law" it goes both ways, if they see before you do or are already there, gotta wait it out. It's highlighted in a green box near the front of regs. I once pressed charges, but didn't take it court as I took troopers advice, he said she said bs in court. The offenders lawyered, good enough for me, proved they were in the wrong. Hold your ground when needed! We, I, was clearly in the right in my insident, but in court it woulda been a battle maybe.
    From the Regs Page 7

"Hunter Harassment Law It is against state law (AS 16.05.790)to intentionally obstruct or hinder an-other personís lawful hunting, fishing,trapping or viewing of fish and game.Illegal activities include positioningoneís self in a location where humanpresence may alter the behavior of fishor game another person is pursuing. Itis also illegal to create a sight, sound,smell, or physical stimulus to alter thebehavior of fish and game another per-son is attempting to take.
    The law does not prohibit lawful com-petitive practices among hunters, fish-ermen, or trappers. Violators of thisstatute are subject to a fine of up to$500 and/or up to 30 days in jail.

I agree with it, if they were there first enjoying the animal and wildlife, then you cant harvest it. Think if you were about catch a big fish, you can see it, and your trying to tend your line to take him..... Here comes another fisherman barreling up the river and scares that big fish away. It sucks but who ever is there first wins the prize...even if that guy sells that picture for $500 at the next alaskan show....haha

this one has always been sticky with me especially up on the haul road at times.. I will NOT pull off a stalk(if I am there first) simply to please picture takers however if they are admiring wildlife I will NOT shoot it out in front of them.. Why? its all about respect and it works both ways... Think about it... what kind of picture does it paint for hunters as a whole if we dont have respect for the non hunting public...maybe pulling up and shooting would turn a hunter friendly non hunter into an anti hunter.. Just because something is legal doesnt always mean its the right thing to do..however I am in no way never ever for any legislation at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    I know a native man who did exactly that on the Denali Highway back in the early 1990's. When the tourist/photographers were finished with their viewing/photography and were piling back into their vehicle, he asked them if they were finished. They responded in the affirmative. He then walked back to his pickup, retrieved his rifle, stepped off the highway, and shot the caribou. The tourists exited their vehicle and protested angrily, then left. As my friend was finishing the bagging/packing to his vehicle, the tourists pulled back up with a trooper behind them that they had flagged down. After questioning all on the spot, the trooper said no foul, and all left.

I thought it was the funniest thing I'd heard about in years..............
    That is my single greatest hunting fantasy. To nail a legal animal while a busload of tourists looks on. If it was a group of Japanese tourists I would offer some raw meat.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    this one has always been sticky with me especially up on the haul road at times.. I will NOT pull off a stalk(if I am there first) simply to please picture takers however if they are admiring wildlife I will NOT shoot it out in front of them.. Why? its all about respect and it works both ways... Think about it... what kind of picture does it paint for hunters as a whole if we dont have respect for the non hunting public...maybe pulling up and shooting would turn a hunter friendly non hunter into an anti hunter.. Just because something is legal doesnt always mean its the right thing to do..however I am in no way never ever for any legislation at all...
    A friend of mine killed a young bull moose once while people were stopped along side the road taking pics. As he got out of his vehicle a few of them started to get down on him, but his reply was I have to fill my freezer for the winter. One lady told her husband to honk the horn to try and scare it away. Seeing that the bull was in a pond, my friend replied.........yes please do...!!! Eventually the bull moved out of the water and when he did my buddy shot it. A few of the people were pissed off at him, but one guy that had stopped to take pics and video, thought the whole thing was great, and even helped him with the animal. Not all of the people taking pics think it's bad to hunt for food.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I don't see a bill like that passing in AK, at all. I shot a bull moose after a van load of tourists were taking pics of it a many years back(off of a side road not highway). I waited until they were done and drove off and than went in for the kill. I certainly wasn't going to turn down the opportunity at a legal bull only a few hundred yards off the road when I was just about to throw in the towel on moose season nor was I going to drop it in front of them either.