Thread: Success

Default Success

Finally connected Saturday night. Had tenderloins on Father's day!

I've had trouble in my location getting bears to close the deal. There's a lot more pressure in my area the last few years, and the bears have certainly wised up. The previous sit seemed perfect; I was quiet, nearly motionless, and conditions were ideal. But no bears. I suspected it might be my Thermacell, but could also be me. So this time I brought in a fresh set of clothes in my pack. I washed down in the pond before my station (that was NICE after a 2 mile muskeg tromp in near 80* heat), and changed into the fresh clothes. No bug dope, just netting. I also left my pack; about a quarter mile from stand.

When I climbed the stand my intention was to go without the Thermacell, too, but that resolve lasted about half a minute. I wasn't exactly planning to turn the thing off again, but at ten pm I turned the Thermacell facedown in the moss... by dropping it off my lap, bouncing it off the tree, and to the ground. I figured the night might as well be over, but I wouldn't see any bears at home, so I stuck it out. About 11:20 a squirrel came in and began rustling around in the way that squirrels have. I love it because I think when bears hear it, it reassures them that all is clear. About 5 minutes later the bear came strolling in...then the dirt nap.20130615_233015.jpg20130616_000232.jpg

U in unit 14a right, if so we heard u around 11ish,1 single shot?? Nice bear

Nice bear, congrats WillPhish!
    Those spring bears are delicious.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Barbarian View Post
    U in unit 14a right, if so we heard u around 11ish,1 single shot?? Nice bear
    Ty. Could be.. zero lake vicinity. yours wasn't the shot I heard around 9, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Ty. Could be.. zero lake vicinity. yours wasn't the shot I heard around 9, was it?
    No that wasn't us, but yes we heard u around 11ish, I had a feeling that was u the way u described it, congrats on the kill. We parked at Jim's rock, u might of passed us by on your way out, been getting hits but not hard n bears seems skidish.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food;1294682 About 11:20 a squirrel came in and began rustling around in the way that squirrels have. I love it because I think when bears hear it, it reassures them that all is clear. About 5 minutes later the bear came strolling in...then the dirt nap.[ATTACH=CONFIG
    71559[/ATTACH]20130616_000232.jpg
    Congratulations nice bear.

I agree, in the last few years I have been very interested in how animals use sounds or lack of sound to warn of danger. Is it possible that you were making a noise and the squirrel cover it up? You could record the local sounds and play them back to make the bears think everything is OK. The problem is if you are making noise that you can not hear you could unknowingly record them and when you played it back it would keep the bears away.

Another possibility is that the squirrel had nothing to do the bear coming in. He was on his way in and the squirrel came in first making it look like the bear was waiting to hear if it was safe.

Mac, thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure of my observation, though... there's many years of woods time behind what I said. The squirrel coming on scene was the only thing that changed; I was excercising excellent noise and motion control. From the sounds I had hear earlier in the evening, and the sound of the bear coming in, he had spent a good amount of time just out of sight, sizing up the station. Yes, It may just have been the time for critters to start rolling; but I know the squirrel rustling around certainly didn't hurt!

Congrats its good seeing bear activity finally picking up for everyone!