Thread: 8 year old German Short Hair

Default 8 year old German Short Hair

My short hair turned 8 today and I cant help but think of all the great hunts we have had these last 8 years. I got Sako when I was 14 and didn't know a thing about dogs. I wanted a bird dog so bad as a kid my parents finally agreed to let me have one. I read all the Wolters books and did my best as a kid to train him up. We had some pretty sloppy hunts the first few years but we at least got out there. It wasn't until he was four and I moved to Missouri for college that his true colors started to show. I couldn't leave my boy behind so I worked two jobs to afford an apartment so I could have him down at school. We hunted every morning for ducks and every evening for dove during season down there. On one trip Sako retrieved 572 dove in three days. I have been fortunate to travel with him while down at school all over the country hunting all game birds and water fowl. Sako is now a bird hunting machine. Its definitely not from my training but from his drive to please and all the experience he was able to get. Ive been back from college for two years and Sako has changed my eyes on bird hunting up here. Before 1 grouse a day is good but now I put the gun back in the truck after 3 or 4 and let him keep hunting them. When it comes to water fowl for having such short hair he doesn't care. He was break through the fresh ice in Eureka to get a duck. After some blood work last year it was determined Sako has cancer and they gave him 3-6 weeks. The vet said it made it to his bones. They wanted him to go to treatment in Seattle every 3 months but I couldn't bring myself to have him be with out me down there. So we are just playing it day by day. He hasn't skipped a beat since and continues to hunt hard. My motto for him has been "training never stops". So even in the off season we train. To Sako bird season never ends , to me I only get to shoot a few months. I just had to share our journey so far and how my sloppy pup turned into a fine dog. DSCN0016.jpg

Hard to replace a good hunting buddy like Sako. My black lab Drake is 10 this year and hunts just as hard as when he was 3. But the next day you can tell I let him over do it.[ATTACH]71561[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shorthairs are so smart and driven to hunt and please that its scary. i got one when I was statined in Germany and he came bqck with me. Had him for 13 years and since I haven't been able to bring myself to get another. I'm sorry to hear about Sako but heck, it was last year the vet said 3-6 weeks and it sounds like the two of you are still going strong. Good luck and I really hope things go well for Sako and you.

I remember when we brought him home the first few days as a puppy and you were soo upset because he was sick and wouldn't do anything. Both of you have put on thousands of miles. Probably one of the best dog/man relationships I've ever seen, lot of love between the two of you. I also remember when the girl had to sit in the back so Sako could sit up front LOL.

Sounds like you and Sako were blessed with each other. Thanks for sharing...it is hard to say goodbye. I am sure you will cherish every day until he tells you he has had enough. Listen to him and what he tells you no matter how difficult.

Sako is a good looking dog! I'll bet you two have had some fine times together. It's tough letting them go, and he will tell you when it's time, but dogs never really leave us, they are buried in our hearts. Give Sako some ear rubs for all of us. Thanks for taking such good care of a fine dog.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bboy View Post
    Sako is now a bird hunting machine. Its definitely not from my training but from his drive to please and all the experience he was able to get.
    Don't cut yourself short..... Most all dogs can hunt, some better than others, it's instinct. But weather they actually become a real bird dog or not depends on how we "handle" them. Believe me, no matter how good, or bad a dog hunts, is all related to how well he is handled by his owner.....

Sounds like you did a fantastic job. Enjoy your time as it will be etched inside you forever.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!