Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ETEC Issues, a long hike , and non helpful anglers.

Default ETEC Issues, a long hike , and non helpful anglers.

So I just bought a new 50hp Evenrude Etec with a jet. I have a 16ft lowe tunnel hull and 3 weekends ago I did 200 miles and the Etec preformed amazingly. Last weekend I took off down the Little Sue heading towards the mouth. My boat started great and ran like a top for about an hour. I came around a bend and my motor just died. All my gas was fresh and I ran it through a filter while filling the tanks. My oil tank was full and the motor was peeing water good. When the motor died no alarms went off and no lights came on my gauges. So my question is does anyone have an idea what it could be? Its in the shop now but its gonna be a few days till they can look at it. So this is the good part of the story. Im down by the mouth with no cell service. I have a spot button but I wasn't in an emergency. I tried to get the motor started for a while but had no luck. Another boat stopped by noticing I had problems but said he had no room and took off. I started my hike at 10 am. It wasn't until noon that I saw another boat coming up river but even with me waving him down he wouldn't stop. So I kept hiking. For those of you who haven't been on the little sue lately, its high water. So I had to walk in the swamps. To cut to the chase after hours of practically swimming across swamps I found another boat. He didn't want to take me up river the last 6 miles because he was fishing. So instead of begging for a ride I kept hiking. A few bends later I heard a boat coming up river. Thankfully the man had some compassion and said he didn't think I would make it the last 6 miles in the sun. So he gave me a ride to the boat launch. At the boat launch there was a gentleman with a Sea ark with a 200hp yamaha jet. He was just going out for a boat ride so I offered him 200 bucks to tow my boat up river. He simply said no and took off. At the launch I had cell service where I could call my dad that came with his boat and towed it up river. It was a long trip back up averaging 3mph with his old johnson 35 jet. But My boat was back on the trailer at 2:00am . My question is has anyone had issues with their etec ? Or what would you guys have done differently ? Im not the type to rely on other people so I didn't mind hiking out, it happens . A few nicer boaters would have been nice because I know for a fact I would help and have before.

I woulda towed your butt outta there thats rediculous musta been a bunch of guys from anchorage . Do you know for a fact you were getting gas to the motor ?

I can't help much with your Etec other than, when they work, they work great. But when they break down, it's a pain. Pretty much the same with all new motors.

With regards to the other boaters, wow - that just stinks. I've pulled several boats from the big Sue that broke down. (And I've pulled several boats back to the harbor in Seward). If my boat wasn't able to pull the boat, I'd tie it off and bring them back to the landing/dock for assistance.

I can tell you this, about 30 years ago I was on the little sue fishing solo and dropping bait off at a bait station when I sucked up sand and blew a hole in my block. Cell phones weren't out then... About 14 hrs later a boater came by that would help me with a ride back to the ramp. (2 other boaters never stopped.). That was the last time I was on the little sue. If that helps you out any.

I'm a believer of "what goes around, comes around". Those other boaters will need a hand at some point in life, I just hope its not a life or death situation. Sorry you had this experience.
    Tony

Would it turn over?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have never left a stranded boater that needed assistance, and when I have needed help, it has always been available. Now I have a airboat and go into some pretty remote areas where I don't expect to find help if I should have problems. I do carry a portable VHF radio and would suggest you pick up one also. They will often work when out of cell phone areas. Too many people place too much trust in cell phones getting them help these days. Lucky you were in a area where you were able to walk out. Bud
    Wasilla

Wow alaska is changing in the olds everyone that you saw would have stopped if I see someone needs help I always stop even if it means I have to Change my plans the way I see it one day I may be the person who needs help I hope they get your motor fixed soon
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by bboy View Post
    It wasn't until noon that I saw another boat coming up river but even with me waving him down he wouldn't stop.
    I don't want to make excuses for why someone would not stop. Not knowing if you were on a sandbar or in the brush where he could not see you because he was paying attention to where he was going or he though you were just saying “HI” . I carry road flares to let people know if I need help.

I can't believe no one would tow you!!! Sorry man

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'm not too sure you can fault the dude with the Sea Ark at the launch for not wanting to run an hour downstream to retrieve your boat. It's not like you were in danger, and he very well could have been on his way to meet/pick up someone....or working on a motor issue...or any number of things. If you were out on the river/in trouble and he flat refused to help...then you can call foul.

I really like how this forum blames EVERYTHING on people that live in Anchorage.
    from low king returns trash on beaches.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Lesson Learned. if you are ever on the water and see someone who needs help I hope you do not get bitter and refuse to help. I have seen people say screw them because no one helped them. Even if a person has to stop fishing it is the right thing to do........ Besides it being hot..... there be animals and other dangers.........

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    I'm a believer of "what goes around, comes around". Those other boaters will need a hand at some point in life, I just hope its not a life or death situation. Sorry you had this experience.
    This is what all of us that step outside our doors should practice. That and 'Don't be a dick'.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

stucktruck.jpg
    OK, I admit it, Saturday going past these guys I did not stop and offer assistance, just took the pic. they were trying to follow the flooded atv trail near Jim Creek. Had a chainsaw (very small) and were holding it underwater trying to cut something, can only assume they were stopped by a sunk log they could not get past. Think they most likely ran out of beer. Bud
    Wasilla

Sorry to hear almost nobody was willing to lend a hand.

As far as what could be wrong, generally it's either a fuel problem or a power problem. My guess since it just went dead with no alarms is somehow the engine isn't getting enough power or has a ground problem or the kill switch circuit got messed up. As far as fuel, the gremlin that's gotten me is the fuel system loosing prime. It doesn't take much of an air leak to loose prime to the engine and a cut in power. If you're nut running a raycor type filter water sperator, you definately want to add one to your boat. It's amazing how just a little bit of water can ruin your day.

A small 8-10 horse kicker can work wonders in these situations, better to have a kicker on the transom and not need it, than not have one and need it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I drained the fuel out off the pump, and re primed the motor just before I hiked out. The motor would turn over but wouldn't catch. I had all my required safety gear, including flares. I picked up a hand held vhf radio today. Do many river boaters use a radio? I have one in my ocean boat and use it all the time but never saw a need for one on the rivers. Im not holding a grudge against the boaters I saw just telling my story. I would still help any one I saw. Also I have a kicker on my ocean boat , tried to fit it on my river boat and theres just not enough room to allow my motors to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    stucktruck.jpg
    OK, I admit it, Saturday going past these guys I did not stop and offer assistance, just took the pic. they were trying to follow the flooded atv trail near Jim Creek. Had a chainsaw (very small) and were holding it underwater trying to cut something, can only assume they were stopped by a sunk log they could not get past. Think they most likely ran out of beer. Bud
    Were they from Anchorage? Sorry couldnt resist
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by bboy View Post
    I picked up a hand held vhf radio today. Do many river boaters use a radio?

You would have been better off to have bought a vhf marine radio and a external antenna. The hand held is only good for a couple of miles, vhf marine with an external antenna 10-20 miles. I also have a CB radio in my boat because a lot of cabins on the rivers only have CB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Were they from Anchorage? Sorry couldnt resist
    Sigh. That truck SCREAMS valley.....

We suffer. No seriously, we suffer.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

We stuck ourselves on the Yetna last year and every single boat stopped to check on us. Some lent a hand, others offered rides and others went and got stuff to help. They were from all over anchorage and the valley. I stop for everyone that needs assistance.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by kylejohnson View Post
    I woulda towed your butt outta there thats rediculous musta been a bunch of guys from anchorage .
    W. T. F. does that have to do with anything! I live in Anchorage and have no issues helping out someone on the side of the road or the river. Like the valley or penninsula folks are that much more willing to help or something? I get sick of hearing that same crap (must be from Anchorage!). Some of the most ignorant *****s I have ever run into in the field were from small towns or the valley. Not everyone that ignores your troubles is from "Los Anchorage".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast