Thread: Copper river motor

Default Copper river motor

After watching the AFD&G "Chitina dipnetting from a boat" video, I'm curious if my 35 horse evinrude with a prop will be adequate horsepower. Any thoughts?

What kind and how big of a boat? I reckon a 35 with a prop would be fine above the bridge and have seen many similar motors used up there before. Kinda shallow from "launch" into main channel but doable. Down river through canon if you were light enough with the right boat it would be fine just slow and steady and stay out of the really strong current pushing into the rock walls, if you have never been down river I would recommend following Someone your first time having a smaller motor as yours, there are a couple spots that can really take control of your boat.

Thanks for the reply, it's an 18' klamath.

im also debating on taking my 50 hp prop on the copper in a couple weeks. took it down from the bridge last year and did fine except i had trouble in one shallow place about 500 yards below the bridge. ended up hitting the bottom on my first 2 attempts back up through there, but third time i hit the channel right. annybody know if the river changed much this year? or is it possible to launch at obriens creek?

I have ran a lot of boats in the copper in the last 16 years. I think most boats will be fine if equipped with the proper operator. Keep in mind that river kills someone most years. I just got back from another great trip. If you go for your first time stay safe, run with another boat if possible, stay within your skill level, WEAR YOUR LIFEVEST!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

If I had a prop and was not familiar with the river, I would pay to launch at obrien and go down stream.

If I thought that I might be under powered, I would not go down the canyon right now. I hear the Copper is RAGING high water now.

You might consider dipping above the bridge. Not sure of the logistics on all that though. Be worth checking into.