Thread: Lets talk smokers!

Default Lets talk smokers!

I'm officially tired of using my home built 55 gallon drum charcoal and wood smoker. I'm looking at getting an electric or propane smoker. These are my areas of concern in order

1. CONSISTANT tempatures
    1b. Relibity/ longevity
    2. Ease of use
    3.cost of operation (not burning alot of propane or using a ton of electric.)
    4. Digital operation / hgauges
    5. Initial investment costs

So is there a smoker that fits my criteria? Seeing as initial investment price is low on my list I.E. I am willing to pay for quality constant temps and longevity/ reliability have to be pretty high.

So what is everyone e using and how do you like it?

Camp Chef propane Smoke Vault. Noooo complaints.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Default smoker

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Camp Chef propane Smoke Vault. Noooo complaints.
    Me too on the Smoke Vault. Wouldn't trade it for any other. But you wanted digital. Bradley likely has what you want; more of a setNforget operation, which almost entirely eliminates the Smokemasters job to watch it diligently from the closest chair, armed with 12 ounces of flame control liquid - yes, during the entire smoke. And pork shoulders take 8 hours.

Digital is low on my list of priorities. It would be nice to be able to throw some stuff in before work and come home to some nice smoked meat after work and not have to worry about it during the day but thats not a deal breaker. Anywhere locally that sells the smoke vault? I would like to check them out in person if possible before I drop some $$ on one. Sportsmans seems to have a good selection but I never noticed what brands they carry since I havent been looking to get one and frontier outfitters but thats about it in Fairbanks besides maybe Lowes but last I looked there they only had charcoal models.

I got my smoke vault at sportsmans. I love it. It has a bit of a learning curve, and a few tricks, but it works great. In all fairness, it's the only smoker I've ever used, but I did a lot of online research before choosing it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Have you thought about getting an electronic controller for your drum smoker?

Haven't thought about it mostly because I didn't know such things exist . Have any links or info? Is this something that comes already put together for smoking or is it a home built thing?

I like my Treager for smoking and cooking, the new digital temp control really makes it easy. I also have an add on cold smoke area that attaches to the right side of the smoker, smoke goes in thru the smoke stack and no real heat gets there. Just warm smoke. Lots of different smoker flavors, it cranks up in heat and can even cook bread, and cookies. I have extra racks inside, so it smokes about 10 sockeye at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Haven't thought about it mostly because I didn't know such things exist . Have any links or info? Is this something that comes already put together for smoking or is it a home built thing?
    Well, it kind of depends on now your smokers are setup now. Here is a review I did of one controller. This unit is fairly inexpensive compared to others that are out there. You may have to join the forum to view the pics. If this is an issue then let me know and I can post some here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126627

Aside from this one, there are other options too.

Here is a very simple setup: http://store.pitmasteriq.com/iq110.html

Here is another options: http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborder...rols%20Systems

I've been using a Bradley Digital since last summer with no complaints. Bit of an investment out of the gate but it offers a few trick features that benefit my busy life.

I'm able to brine out a lot of fish or marinate meats over the weekend and set it Monday morning for a finished product.

I'm a big fan of cheese, and an smoke blocks without the cold smoke option kit, the lowest temp setting eye the job done well without melting.

For deep winter months I threw together a quick exhaust hood that runs out the garage window so I can smoke year round.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I'm a big fan of cheese
    Have you ever tried smoked cream cheese? Very light apple or cherry smoke at very low temps. It is to die for. Fantastic with some lox or nova lox.

Easiest cold smoker setup ever...soldering iron in a tin can with wood chips...

5184250056_0e79900570.jpg

With the smoke box oven not running, just the smoker element..the box itself still heats to about 90* +/- ambient.

So, cream cheese might get messy bit I'm always down to try something new!

As it it a big block of Tillamook extra sharp will sweat a bit on a 2 hour smoke ,but not melt. I also add a bowl of ice cubes to help the humidity and cool the smoker box.

My pride and joy...

2 hour smoke, vacuum pack for 7 days.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Nice looking fatty. Yeah, at 90* it might be a little warm. You could try to put a large bowl of ice water between the smoker element and the cheese to cool the air a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Me too on the Smoke Vault. Wouldn't trade it for any other. But you wanted digital. Bradley likely has what you want; more of a setNforget operation, which almost entirely eliminates the Smokemasters job to watch it diligently from the closest chair, armed with 12 ounces of flame control liquid - yes, during the entire smoke. And pork shoulders take 8 hours.
    Well said.

I made up my mind about getting a propane smoker after having a electric one for 7 years. Went with a Masterbuilt from Sears. Really solid construction not like a lot of the ones at Sportsmans Warehouse that the doors were flimsy. This one was the best choice for the money to quality ratio I was looking for. Great on propane too still on same tank from last year after smoking about 40 reds through it and some landlocks this past winter.

I ended up picking up the bradley digital unit in all stainless from sportsmans yesterday. like TWB my schedule is pretty busy this time of year and it doesnt allow me hours to tend to a smoker between the reviews and features hopefully it works out well for me, for a tip on the bradleys that i read on their forum for making a cold smoke "chamber" is to take a thick solid cookie sheet that is big enough to fill one of the tray areas and drill 3-5 1/4'' holes to let smoke go through and put it in one of the racks it will block off enough heat but still let smoke through. if that makes sense. I.E. where your empty rack spot is put the cookie sheet in there and whatever you want cold smoked make it on the top rack the cookie sheet will block off the heat from the bottom. You may have to cut it to size depending on the dimensions.