Thread: Underwater GoPro

Default Underwater GoPro

What is the best underwater resolution setting for a GoPro? I have tried the following settings at 80' - 1080p = (not real good sunlight) black screen, 960 = very dark until very sunny outside. I have a GoPro 2

I think you just start losing light. I shoot at 1080. But more important is a flat lens housing to avoid the darkening and distortions in the corners though I haven't used one at those depths....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Any time you go below about 10' you should run a red lense cover. You can purchase these online. They keep the colors the way they should be instead of dull green. Do some research on them.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Lotta plankton in the water this time of year to diffuse sunlight, so there's dang near no light down at 80' in a lot of places. I'd be real impressed if there was any setting that would show you much.

My test footage at about 70ft. I didn't have the flat or red lens. It was sunny out so I think you are starting to reach the limits of the camera at around 90ft. This was out by Knight Island.

I just finished editing our Kodiak footage from last summer, and we shot a lot of it with GoPros. I have done a lot of spearfishing at 70-80' and though you can see just fine at that depth, there is a lot of color loss, as was mentioned. I wrote a piece on Selective Light Absorption on our Halibut Fishing Page, if you want to check it out. It goes into which colors are the first to go, and which remain at depth. If I were shooting GoPro footage at that depth, I would plan on using lights.

I think the really great GoPro footage for saltwater fishing happens closer to the surface, where you get the interaction of the angler and the fish, views of the boat, exhaust bubbles and just generally more action. Plus you keep your colors, and you have MUCH better control of the camera angle. I'll post it here.

One more thing I have noticed. Lots of guys are shooting in HD, which looks fantastic. The main drawback is the upload time. Took me hours to upload this video (but it plays just fine)-

Best regards,

-Mike

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Charterboat Operator

I have two hero 3 pro's that we use all the time on the boat, and ice fishing , snow machining, and snow boarding! Im afraid im not much help on the resolution question as i just took them out of the box and started using them, However I agree that unless your fishing in a pass or an area with some current, it fairly green at 70ft and then black after about 90. I have some amazing footage of sharks and halibut take dwns from chugach pass at around 65ft, but can barely see the salmon strike with the go-pro in the troll-pro housing at the 35ft, do to clarity, im going to mess with the camera's today, as im seining in the sound in afk and the water here is crystal. all keep ya posted. fish on!

How did you attach your camera to the fishing line?

Charterboat Operator

akviking! I have one Halibut rod that has 200lb on the spool, and we took the troll pro case that the go-pro fits in and tied directly to the back of the housing, and then we have hole in the front of the bell housing of the troll pro, that we crimp are leaders to. you make your leader about a fathom long, then the salmon head or what ever you have on just spins in the current rite in front of the camera! its scetchy a lill bit because you have the possibility of breaking off the whole works, that's why the 200lb, but when a 250lb halibut takes it or a 500lb shark!!! you can sit in your living room and go along for the ride from the strike all the way to the boat!!! the footage will be a little shaky, if your leader is not long enough tho but to long and you cant see the strike!! you can find your troll pro at troll pro .com or just make one out of PVC!! its cutting edge footage and its alot of fun!!!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    akviking! I have one Halibut rod that has 200lb on the spool, and we took the troll pro case that the go-pro fits in and tied directly to the back of the housing, and then we have hole in the front of the bell housing of the troll pro, that we crimp are leaders to. you make your leader about a fathom long, then the salmon head or what ever you have on just spins in the current rite in front of the camera! its scetchy a lill bit because you have the possibility of breaking off the whole works, that's why the 200lb, but when a 250lb halibut takes it or a 500lb shark!!! you can sit in your living room and go along for the ride from the strike all the way to the boat!!! the footage will be a little shaky, if your leader is not long enough tho but to long and you cant see the strike!! you can find your troll pro at troll pro .com or just make one out of PVC!! its cutting edge footage and its alot of fun!!!
    Im in AFK PWS now and this service will not let me up load any footy..All load some of what i have when I get back to Homer