Thread: Father's Day Wishes

Default Father's Day Wishes

I could post this in lots of places but as I think about the things that my Dad did for my brothers, sister and me I thought this was the place to pay tribute to my dad on Father's Day. My dad, Dennis Linnell, and my mom moved to Alaska just after statehood. As we grew up I remember the days when dad got us up at 4 AM to take the canoe out on Jewel Lake to try to catch breakfast. The times he took my older brother and me for a week on the Swanson River to moose hunt. Our trip on Skilak Lake moose hunting. I can't believe he ever thought that we'd get a moose with the two of us having blue berry wars and not being quiet. But with patience he took us along. Snow machining in Hatcher's Pass we took a moose during a winter hunt one year. It was cold but we loved the time with dad. There was the time he shot a moose just before someone else shot, (we hadn't seen the other people), and much to our surprise dad let them have the moose we had worked so hard to get and he had shot. He taught us a lot of life lessons out in the wilderness, whether fishing or hunting. Both Dad and Mom want to keep hunting in the area we have now hunted for the last 30 years and I will be by their sides with my brothers each and every one of those years no matter the cost. Thank you Dad for all the time you shared with us!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L View Post
    I could post this in lots of places but as I think about the things that my Dad did for my brothers, sister and me I thought this was the place to pay tribute to my dad on Father's Day. My dad, Dennis Linnell, and my mom moved to Alaska just after statehood. As we grew up I remember the days when dad got us up at 4 AM to take the canoe out on Jewel Lake to try to catch breakfast. The times he took my older brother and me for a week on the Swanson River to moose hunt. Our trip on Skilak Lake moose hunting. I can't believe he ever thought that we'd get a moose with the two of us having blue berry wars and not being quiet. But with patience he took us along. Snow machining in Hatcher's Pass we took a moose during a winter hunt one year. It was cold but we loved the time with dad. There was the time he shot a moose just before someone else shot, (we hadn't seen the other people), and much to our surprise dad let them have the moose we had worked so hard to get and he had shot. He taught us a lot of life lessons out in the wilderness, whether fishing or hunting. Both Dad and Mom want to keep hunting in the area we have now hunted for the last 30 years and I will be by their sides with my brothers each and every one of those years no matter the cost. Thank you Dad for all the time you shared with us!
    Thanks for your story. Very honorable for him to relinquish his game to the other hunter. My father would have done the same thing.

Very touching to read this. I lost my dad about a year and a half ago. We had a lot of good times hunting and fishing together. Enjoy them while you can. My dad has been missed a lot!