Thread: Whittier Advice

Default Whittier Advice

Ok so Im going out of Whittier next week for my first shrimping/fishing adventure. I know a little about it thanks to you guys around here but would like to get some last minute opinions and tips on shrimping and fishing out there. Ive been fairly successful out of homer, deep creek, anchor point etc for halibut at least catching fish when I go out but Whittier is an entirely different beast.

So what have ya got for me? Places to avoid dropping my shrimp pots? Fish here and not there? Any thing is appreciated.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

The closer to town you drop your pots, the closer you better be to them or they may be empty or gone... Use Pot builders trick with the pot doors and colored zip ties. You will always know if the area sucked or you got cleaned out...
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

don't set by esther if the gillnetters are fishing, you stand a good chance of losing you pots. When you set your pots hang out a bit till they get to the bottom and watch your buoy/s to see if you haven't drifted off into water that is over your(the pots) head. Be safe and have fun !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Are you going for a day trip, or a multi day trip? For day trips I'll just let the pots soak all day somewhere in passage canal so I can pull them on the way back. For multi-day trips I like to keep the pots closer to me so I can pull them a few times a day and hopefully have a nice shrimp supper. My preferred shrimp local is steep terrain with a fresh water source near by, hopefully a glacier near by for good silty water and I usually try and drop at 450', which means the pots can drift anywhere from 400-500' deep depending on the current and tide. The further you get away from the fjords the worse the shrimping gets, but generally the fishing is better.

I've found the further I run from Whittier the better I do for fishing, and halibut always seem to be hit or miss, and I usually miss. Montague is just too far for my boat, so fish a bit closer in. Just expect the halibut fishing to be slow and if you limit out you're having an exceptional day. On the flip side, there is good rock fishing. Just look for steep rocky structure with good current flow i.e. the tips of the moths of bays and the tips of islands.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

What Paul said.....I did pick up a few halibut on both sides of Knight Isl. on Fri., but thats a 40-50 mile run. I would imagine the fishing to get better closer as the season progresses. Cod fishing was good at 300 ft. too.....
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Ok so Im going out of Whittier next week for my first shrimping/fishing adventure. I know a little about it thanks to you guys around here but would like to get some last minute opinions and tips on shrimping and fishing out there. Ive been fairly successful out of homer, deep creek, anchor point etc for halibut at least catching fish when I go out but Whittier is an entirely different beast.

So what have ya got for me? Places to avoid dropping my shrimp pots? Fish here and not there? Any thing is appreciated.
    im looking to get out and shrimp for the first time also. I picked up two kufas folding style shrimp pots for 32 bucks each when i was down in washington state 2 weeks ago. been itching to test them out. I also built a portable pot hauler out of a wheel chair motor and aluminum pipes from NRS heheh

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    im looking to get out and shrimp for the first time also. I picked up two kufas folding style shrimp pots for 32 bucks each when i was down in washington state 2 weeks ago. been itching to test them out. I also built a portable pot hauler out of a wheel chair motor and aluminum pipes from NRS heheh
    I'd like to see your puller...hope it works well for you! I'm going tonight and will be fooling around between Bettles and Pigot depending on what the com. guys are doing. Will be driving this...stop by and say hi if you or C6 are in the neighborhood.

Im still hoping to get out but the military is trying to ruin my plans again. Stinking combat arms training stuff. Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully I get out tomorrow. We shall see.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Did well for shrimp in Cochrane, and found a 65# halibut in about 270 ft at the south end of Culross Passage. About a four hour soak and lines in the water about an hour for the halibut.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I'd like to see your puller...hope it works well for you! I'm going tonight and will be fooling around between Bettles and Pigot depending on what the com. guys are doing. Will be driving this...stop by and say hi if you or C6 are in the neighborhood.
    Finally tested my puller for the first time yesterday across from the harbor. dropped 1 of my pot in about 385ft and soaked it for 2 hrs. it must of not been heavy enough because i ended up chasing the buoy at high tide LOL. next time i'll run both pots and 5lbs of extra weight on each one to see what i come up with. heres a few pics of the puller. as for the ft per min, i pulled 385ft of line in about 4-5mins. not too bad for a homemade puller.
    20130728_215311_resized.jpg20130728_215255_resized.jpg