Thread: Which dealer to purchase a saltwater boat?

Default Which dealer to purchase a saltwater boat?

I am hoping to relocate to Alaska next year or soon thereafter for the fantastic fishing . I am aware that the state has some incredible saltwater salmon/halibut/lingcod fisheries. Where is my best option for locating a dealership for purchasing a saltwater vessel. I would like to purchase a Cuddy king or Duckworth offshore or indeed anything that anyone can advise, that they may deem suitable. Where is the best place for me to look , I.E in Alaska or even Seattle....Thanks kindly for everyone's help.

There are tons of nice boats for sale used in the fall, that's the route Id go unless you have the resources. You might consider waiting till then and saving yourself a ton of cash by buying a low hour used boat. The only thing Id mention about buying used is to keep it local to the west coast that way there's less chance you end up with one of the hurricane boats from back east. That said, it you are really wanting new, I'm partial to Wooldridge out of Washington.

Thanks unplugged. Where as these boats for sale? Living in Ireland at the minute it is hard to get the reliable names of reputable sources. Where would you recommend ? Thanks from Ireland

I would check the local Craigslist for Anchorage, or maybe Alaska or Washington States. You could call Glen down here. http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/catal...ore-pilothouse

You can probably get a better deal in Seattle or that area if your buying new. If you want to buy used look at Alaska Boat Brokers, that is where i found my boat. I also searched craigslist daily for months. I personally would wait until I was here and then look for a boat.. You could always do some salt water charters or bum a ride from one of the many offered on here just to make sure an ocean boat is what you want.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks JR and unplugged. **** this forum is fantastic. Thanks so much.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    I am hoping to relocate to Alaska next year or soon thereafter for the fantastic fishing . I am aware that the state has some incredible saltwater salmon/halibut/lingcod fisheries. Where is my best option for locating a dealership for purchasing a saltwater vessel. I would like to purchase a Cuddy king or Duckworth offshore or indeed anything that anyone can advise, that they may deem suitable. Where is the best place for me to look , I.E in Alaska or even Seattle....Thanks kindly for everyone's help.
    How much money do you want to spend? Looking for new or used? Where do you want to fish? Answers to all of these questions will influence the answer to your question. If you have boating experience and experience fishing Alaska, then you should have a pretty good idea what you want/need. If you don't have the experience, then I suggest you get it before you buy. If the boat is going to be the boat you want to fish in for the rest of your life, then have it custom built, and spend as much as you can afford. If you are on a budget, then search craigslist. Buying from an owner will save you money, but have the boat checked out very closely, before you buy.

Get up here, get settled, then go for rides on some of the boats that catch your eye, don't be in a hurry to buy a boat, once you get a feel for what you want(or don't want) look on craigslist, check out the brokers and builders if you thinking new. If it were me i'd find a style i like in used and then put a new power package in it. I've been around boats, built boats, repaired boats and commercial fished for 43 years pm me once you get it narrowed down and whatever you do don't fall in love with a woodie(wooden boat). Remember i've got Coyles and O'keefes in my family i'll give ya the straight story !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks neverland. I am a vastly experienced fisherman . I want to fish the coastal waters around POW and maybe further up/or down the coast for kings/silvers/halibut/rockfish etc etc . I think your response to my question is fantastic as I was thinking of spending quite a considerable amount of money on salt water boat. I would expect that I will probably want to explore the whole of the South east coastal waters of Alaska at some point as there is so many areas I want to fish. I was thinking exactly what you were saying. I was going to purchase a custom boat ( maybe a Duckworth or cuddy king 28-30ft offshore ). Ive heard from other people on this forum that there are other reputable manufacturers out there. Its heartening to hear you say that they could last a life time ( off course I would have to replace the power plant every few years or so) . thanks for all your help