Thread: What is the migration route for kings around POW

Default What is the migration route for kings around POW

What is the migration route for kings ( and all salmon ) around the POW. Ive heard here within this forum ( very much appreciated , I might add too ) that the east side hosts migrations for both the Alaskan king salmon and the British Columbia king salmon . Where is the likely routes around the island for these fish and are these fish "feeder's" or are they just migrating ?......That's kindly , from Ireland...

Right on the outside of Noyes and Baker Island. Sometimes they are big, sometimes they are feeders. The Skeena run is a big one that comes by. We had more than I'd like to admit by 10am today... Released a ton of 15lb kings to get to some bigger ones. Kings are everywhere.

Is the term "feeders " referring to ocean feeding fish that are not quite ready to spawn. ( or in the middle of the ocean cycle ). Also , where are the big boys i.e. the 40-50-60 lb fish that every one craves. Are they sprinkled in between this fish ? Is the SE primarily the feeding grounds for all these fish ?

come on boYS, i'm sure that there is a lot more info out there to help his man out and I would appreciate it as wel being as I'm heading out there late next week, thanks
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Sorry, working 90hrs a week.

Feeders are the fish off the beach. Typically found in 30-60fa of water. Smaller, younger fish. Spawners hug the beaches/kelp as they return to rivers. Much bigger fish. That's why you'll find savvy guides fishing kelp lines in 30-90ft of water, to find those big spawners.

Priceless , absolutely priceless. Thanks guys. Thanks 270ti. I've heard ( via this forum ) that some of the bigger fish i.e. the Skeena fish etc. travel around the coast of the POW during june/july on the way to their home rivers. Just the thought that the possibility exists is enough for me. Do they prefer the kelp beds or other structure or is this were most of the bait occurs...thanks

I was also wondering how late the runs usually go to? August or September? If not kings, are there plenty of Silvers still biting? Thanks for any info!

Prime time for kings on the outside of POW is June and July but I've seen decent king fishing into mid August. I had a day (8/17) a few years ago with 4 residents on board, 3 king limit for them, and we went 10 for 12 on kings. The rest of that season, fishing the same area we only caught a couple more kings.
    Another year our biggest king of the year, 64 pounds, was caught on 9/3, so you never know. That being said, most people fish this area in June and July for kings and August/Sept is primarily a silver show.

Still pretty dang good for kings at Lil Roller and Veta right now. A few nice ones, but lots of peanuts showed up. Is it Aug?? haha