Thread: VERY NEW to taxidermy

Default VERY NEW to taxidermy

I am very new to taxidermy, I have looked up MANY videos on the Internet for different ways to skin/tan animals.Unfortunately ALL of those videos show how to skin the body, but they chop the head off of the animal (very small game ie squirrels). I am trying to get some help on how to skin and tan the WHOLE animal, not everything but the head. Any help would be appreciated!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    I am very new to taxidermy, I have looked up MANY videos on the Internet for different ways to skin/tan animals.Unfortunately ALL of those videos show how to skin the body, but they chop the head off of the animal (very small game ie squirrels). I am trying to get some help on how to skin and tan the WHOLE animal, not everything but the head. Any help would be appreciated!
    Taxidermy.net is your friend!!!

Propper Skinning & the understanding of the tanning proccess is the VERY FIRST part of taxidermy.

Whether your going to learn how to do taxidermy from Videos or go to someone that offers Classes.

If you do not understand atleast how the proccess works I can Guarantee you are going to have problems from the start.

There are Several Different methods for tanning a skin & ALL have there places . Some work well for a flat skin but not a cape that will be mounted. Some will NOT work for mounting skins .

Paste tans & Dry perserve just plain SUCK.

Dont get suckered into using it here in Alaska or you will not like the outcome.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936
    ww.protaxidermy.com