Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question

Default Quick question

With all the bear maulings and moose stompings I was thinking...how come when someone is mauled by a bear the authorities look to either dispatch the bear or move it...or do SOMETHING about it. But when someone gets stomped by a cow..it seems that not the same actions are taken..? Is there a difference? Is it because its a 'bear' and they are these viscious animals that cruise the streets lookin for ppl to maul..? And a cow moose is a pretty animal with her cute lil calf? I'm just curious. I'm mainly referring to closer to town events.

Moose aren't predators and their aggressive behavior is usually pinpointed to protecting their offspring. When bears maul it is on a different level (assuming we aren't simply referring to a sow with cubs scenario), they may figure out that humans are easy meals and start developing a taste for hunting us whereas moose lose their aggressive tendencies as their calf matures.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I understand moose aren't predators, and I also understand that once a bear kills a human it realizes it can and looses its fear for us, such as a biting dog. But in the cub, calf scenario..they are most def not handled the same, and when someone gets booted by momma moose the blame instantly goes to the person...

I think its kinda like if a Chihuahua nips you they are high strung but if a pit bull bites you folks question why they all have not already been killed. Moose will try to kill close (feel threat) predators most every time and people are predators.Bears will try to prove they are the top predator if they feel challenged by other predators and we are.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Cause moose don't eat people...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Cause moose don't eat people...
    Good call...but I'll let you tell me the difference a swift hoof to the nagan or some teeth being sunk in your head. I'm not wanting to get into the bears eating people..cuz if they did a lot more people would be getting killed and consumed...

When's the last time you've heard of a bear actually eating a human hodge man? I can only think of one, and he was a dumb ass who got him and his girlfriend killed

You don't think that after a cow stomps someone that she will remember that the next spring. A moose can register they can hurt a human just as easy as a bear can..any animal that loses its fear to humans, especially in a populated area, I think should be either killed or removed

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    When's the last time you've heard of a bear actually eating a human hodge man?
    It happened last week.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ns-cause-death

Granted, it is rare, but it happens to more than just Treadwell.

But in the cub, calf scenario..they are most def not handled the same, and when someone gets booted by momma moose the blame instantly goes to the person...
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with that..... From my experience, what I've heard, a person really has to prove why he had a real good reason to kill the bear or it becomes his fault for the attack. Some of the situations I recall got to be pretty ridiculous usually trying to place the blame on the guy more than the bear....

But like was said, just the fact that a bear is a predator and a moose is not, is more than enough reason to treat them differently. If moose went around stomping and THEN eating people, I'm sure they would end up getting the same treatment.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Killing someone is killing someone...no matter if its a hoof or a jaw/claw. The point of 'eating' the person is mute..I think. It's the simple fact that an animal killed a human...whether or not its the person fault or not, the animal now realizes that 'we' aren't as scary as they thougt and that they can 'stand' up to us. And it doesn't even have to be a death involved..

What usually happens when a 'pet' bites or attacks someone...it usually gets one between the eyes. But yet a wild animal, in some circumstances..nothing happens

Killing someone is killing someone...no matter if its a hoof or a jaw/claw. The point of 'eating' the person is mute..

No...it's not mute. The fact is that when/if a predator kills and eats a human, it is a known fact that they can realize that it was easy and develop a taste for human flesh and decide to try to do it again......going rogue so to speak. This is why usually every predator that kills a person is hunted down and killed. A moose is not out to kill a human being......it is not in their nature. Yes they can become aggressive and incidentally kill a person while protecting a calf or just having a bad day. But unlike a predator, they don't have the killing nature instilled in them.....only the self preservation nature. They don't hunt nor stalk.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

No...it's not mute. The fact is that when/if a predator kills and eats a human, it is a known fact that they can realize that it was easy and develop a taste for human flesh and decide to try to do it again......going rogue so to speak. This is why usually every predator that kills a person is hunted down and killed. A moose is not out to kill a human being......it is not in their nature. Yes they can become aggressive and incidentally kill a person while protecting a calf or just having a bad day. But unlike a predator, they don't have the killing nature instilled in them.....only the self preservation nature. They don't hunt nor stalk.....
    i guess no one is getting my point...I'm no idiot. I realize that moose don't eat humans, stalk their food, etc. but what a moose can do is realize once it stomps someone, and nothing happens that, they understand 'what they can get away with'. An the next spring when they have a newborn calf, or they are ' unhappy'/ ' having a bad day' , and someone is close to them/ bothering them...they will not be afraid to do what they did in years past. Just like when bears get in trash for example, and nothing is done, they realize what they can get away with..animals can't reason but they do have grey matter

Being a 'predator' I believe has nothing to do with it...but I'm not the one making the rules. Ok and yea the recent black bear mauling, I'm sure he had a lil remains in his stomach...but did he actually eat the guy..I doubt it. If some one can prove to me that of all the maulings/ deaths caused by bears ended up being consumed as well, or were mauled/ killed TO BE consumed..other than maybe two-three in an long period of time..than I will stand corrected..until then I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they maul/kill for the same reason a moose charges

Your comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different animals.And no you would be wrong a bear will attack for more reasons then a moose. Ever heard of a moose eating someone, see theres one more reason right there, how about to protect a food source. Try this little test. put your self inside a 100x100 foot fenced in area, if the moose comes at you climb over the fence. When the bear comes for you he will climb over the fence after you. Trust me they climb fences real good, and faster then you can if the fence has barb wire on it. LOL

In the Americas, moose injure more people than any other wild mammal and, worldwide, only hippopotamuses injure more.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

First off, time and again I see folks use the word "mute" when the word they are actually intending is "moot." As in "moot point." So that is the spelling/vocabulary lesson for today <grin>.

I get the point you are trying to make hunt/trapak88. Will any animal become habituated to hurting humans after doing it once? It could be that a moose, after stomping someone and suffering no repercussions, does in fact "learn" such behavior and could/would do it again under similar circumstances. Certainly moose do become habituated to urban areas and close proximity with humans. So why then don't we put such a moose down like we would a bear or a dog who bites/attacks humans?

Most respondents are correct; you can't really compare predators to ungulates. Just a whole different makeup and mind. Your assertion that being a predator has nothing to do with how we respond to these kind of things is, thus, off base. It has everything to do with how we respond. And how they respond. A moose, for example, does not have a "chase" response wired into their brains like a dog or a bear. Neither will they ever "hunt" humans as a dog or bear may do.

Having said all that though, there are probably some moose that become habituated to aggressive behavior toward humans that should be put down. It's just not at all as common though as a bear or dog becoming habituated to aggressive behavior toward humans and their likely potential to repeat such actions or actually prey on humans.

Moose do get put down. When an attack is documented and the animal continues to be aggressive, the troopers put it down. Same as bears if the animal is there and continues to be a threat it is put down. The attack this weekend was the fault of a stupid person, the bear does not seem to be a continued threat so not pursued. Even an aggressive bear that has not attacked gets a chance. Look at the areas that closed last year on the Russian to protect ones that were headed in a bad direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    A moose, for example, does not have a "chase" response wired into their brains like a dog or a bear.
    I don't know....a cow once chased me a couple hundred yards, leaving her calf in the woods in the process....she only broke off the attack when I ran inside, then she went for the dog....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast