Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Reports

Default Homer Reports

How about some Homer reports?

foggy. 50 yd vis in the bay west of spit.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

But sunny and flat today!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    But sunny and flat today!
    My guess he meant fish.

Fished this weekend, but didn't go very far out due to the fog. We fished 12-14 miles out of Homer. Didn't find any monster fish, but we caught healthy chickens until our arms fell off.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Most private boats seemed to have a little better average size last weekend than a week before. Pretty typical for this time of year, should only get better for the next few weeks.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Homer reports can mean the weather, the water, and the fishing. I keep checking the marine forcasts the night before I want to go and decide to make the trip if the forecast is for decent water. I keep getting tricked. It will predict 4 foot seas, so I don't go. The next morning it will change to 2' seas. Tuesday I drove down expecting decent water and was disappointed to see quite a bit of wind and lots of white caps. Tomorrow, one site says 20kt winds another says 10kts.

Look at the graphical and not just the text on the NOAA marine forecast. The text can be deceiving.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Just go and try to plan for a long day. The day often finishes up really nice at the later times; past 7 pm or so, and conditions change with tides.

Hows the fishing been lately?
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I anchored and caught limits of chickens the past four days. Yesterday I drifted and only caught one, but it was a bigger fish around 45 pounds. I seem to be getting bigger fish with big jigs and bigger chunks of herring.

This am I met three guys at the access that were out trolling for kings this am and got three. They looked to be 10-25 pounds. I didn't pump them for info - but it didn't sound like they went out too far.

Thanks for the report...hoping the weather holds thru the 4th...leaving on wed morning ane staying thru the 8th.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I'll let you know how it is after this weekend... provided we can get out. Sunday don't look too good at this point.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Looks like the hole is doing better

Had a rather unusual weekend out of Homer. Saturday, tried a couple new spots and some tried-and-true producers with little or no luck. Lots of skates and flounder (never caught many flounder out of Homer before). Finally got into a bit of a bite at the end of the day. Dismal results. Banged our way out again on Sunday, stayed in closer in K-Bay. Started a slow bite with a 70-80 lb fish. Slow bite, but decent fish. Later the same guy caught a tagged fish - first one ever on my boat for a current derby, and we all had tickets. All in all a good day with decent fish and one whopper. Now a long wait til 16 Sep to find out what he won!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Had a rather unusual weekend out of Homer. Saturday, tried a couple new spots and some tried-and-true producers with little or no luck. Lots of skates and flounder (never caught many flounder out of Homer before). Finally got into a bit of a bite at the end of the day. Dismal results. Banged our way out again on Sunday, stayed in closer in K-Bay. Started a slow bite with a 70-80 lb fish. Slow bite, but decent fish. Later the same guy caught a tagged fish - first one ever on my boat for a current derby, and we all had tickets. All in all a good day with decent fish and one whopper. Now a long wait til 16 Sep to find out what he won!

Unless the Derby Committee has drastically changed the way things work, that tag has a serial number on it, the Derby Committee has to maintain a list of sponsors who sponsored each tag by serial number.. and how much... All the happy fisherman should have to do is take the fish with tag still in it, and his derby ticket to the derby shack and check in, they should be able to look at their list and tell right away what the prize is... UNLESS, they have developed some sort of "mystery game" now...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Unless the Derby Committee has drastically changed the way things work, that tag has a serial number on it, the Derby Committee has to maintain a list of sponsors who sponsored each tag by serial number.. and how much... All the happy fisherman should have to do is take the fish with tag still in it, and his derby ticket to the derby shack and check in, they should be able to look at their list and tell right away what the prize is... UNLESS, they have developed some sort of "mystery game" now...
    I believe it is now a "mystery game" setup.
    That way even if the good prizes get claimed you wouldn't know so you would continue to buy Derby tickets.
    Who would buy tickets If they knew all the top $$$ prizes were already won?
    Especially now with the way they are doing the big fish money.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Interesting.... also was out Saturday, out about 25miles in a drift area that has always done very well for me. All we got were 15 pounders and one major skate. Sunday was bumped out to 15 miles out, and within minutes had a 60 pounder. Got one more smallish butt then had to leave due to a couple of friends' nieces chumming over the side. But my nephew and I turned around and bounced back out to try trolling the bluffs, and was rewarded with 2 missed kings and 2 limits of halibut.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Hey Swissy,

Care to share where the bluffs start and where they end? I see them on a map, but how far up towards Anchor Point would one go?

Plan on trolling this area and drifting or anchoring a few miles offshore this week. Would be happy with pulling chickens all day with my 5 kids.

Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast