Thread: Sink tips...

Default Sink tips...

Curious as to how many of you use a sink tip line as opposed to floating line with splits. I have a nice Rio multi-tip but have not used the heavy tip. Advantages vs. disadvantages?

i have only used my sink tip a couple of times because it is so heavy, and there is not much water fast enough right now to call for it it is pretty good however when trolling lakes with a leech i find just a split shot (and i usually use a trolling motor when there is wind) and the leach floats to much the faster i go

totally depends on what I'm fishing. If a dead drift is important I use a floater, if I'm fishing streamers, trolling in lakes, swinging wets to salmon etc. I'll be using a super fast sinker
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default sink tips...

I like floating line, mini sink tip, and 24 ft sink tips. I like the 24 ft sink tip to be 5-6 ips. Those three cover alot of bases. Teeny T 300 is a popular choice and I will be using it in SW Alaska this August. I use the SA lines mostly. I wouldnt take a trip in Alaska without those three lines. The mini sink tip is 5 ft and is made by Orvis or Jim Teeny. For floating lines, take a look at the SA gpx line if you have a fast action rod. Also consider taking an extra line or two in case you get spooled, snagged, or broke off. It could happen!

95% floating line/splits
    5% sinking tip personally never more than 300gr here in Alaska but I do know folks who use as heavy as 500gr for really big water.

Default Options

FF.

You could go with a standard WFF line install a braided loop connector at the end of your fly line "some lines have them already".

Go and purchase a less expensive sinking level line for about 12 bucks and loops connectors to it and make what ever type of sink tips you wish i.e. 2ft, 4ft, 6ft etc......

That gives you the best of both worlds and cheaper in the long run.

Moose-O

I prefer the split. I've found with little effort I can customize the weight to where I want to get.
    Live life now, or forever wish you did!

Default Maybe water depth?

Awhile back, Aktroutbum said to me that it's hard to know if you fish something a lot because it works, or it works because you fish it a lot.

And so it is for me with the Rio multi-tip. Everywhere else, I've fished a floating line with weighted flies, or split shot, but year by year on the Anchor, where the water is typically deeper for me than other locations, I seem to catch more fish on the multi-tip - and the heavier sink tip the better.

Mechanically, I figured that with deeper water, the floating line might develop more of a hinge-point when slack develops...and so make it tougher to feel the bite. Then again, my buddy, Steve, who I fished with for years before he moved back to tarpon country, never fished a sink tip and always caught more fish. So, I guess fishing isn't all science either. But, I tend to try the multi-tip in deeper water.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post

Awhile back, Aktroutbum said to me that it's hard to know if you fish something a lot because it works, or it works because you fish it a lot.
    Nothing could be more true

I am guilty of this for sure. Love my sink tips and esl #2. For big dollies in NW, it is the deal. But as I learn more about fishing other areas of the state, I am widening my thoughts drastically. Different areas require different approaches. This is one of the reasons flyfishing is so much fun. Always learning something new.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I tie all flys except flesh on a painted 1/32nd Gamagatsu jig head and use a Strike Indicator to adjust depth. Just back from a float trip and out-fished everyone 4 to 1 for Kings and trout. Always know when you get a strike, always know what depth your at, fly is horizontal to water, can dead drift or swing it. So much better than weighted lines.

98% split shot at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by floridafisherman View Post
    Curious as to how many of you use a sink tip line as opposed to floating line with splits. I have a nice Rio multi-tip but have not used the heavy tip. Advantages vs. disadvantages?
    I use floating line 100% of the time for dry flies, and fishing natural drifted wet flies under an indicator

I use sink tip 100% of the time for wet flies (most salmon flies), swung or stripped.

I don't swing or strip wet flies with a floating line and split shot to sink it, if that's what you had in mind. It has been done, as some responses attest. The problems are in making a cast with it, controlling the line position and depth, etc. Other than saving the cost to buy a sinktip line and extra spool, I can think of no advantage of this technique.

If fishing creeks or rivers, I am just fine using split shot, because long casts usually arent required. If fishing lakes or the ocean I use a sink tip, because I find it is much easier to cast a sink tip than a bunch of split shot

I concur with Stevesch.

When fishing the kenai or smaller streams for trout, 100% floating with weight and an indicator.

when stripping streamers for salmon sink tip 100% (also sometimes with a splitshot about 18 in. above the fly).

Default Kenai for salmon

For reds and silver in the Kenai or other swift deep water I've found that 40# mono with a very small barrel swivel tied to a 8 ft 20 to 30# mon leader with split shot works much better than any fly line. The mon sinks much faster to the bottom so you get more sweep out of each cast. With split shot you can adjust the weight quickly so you don't drag or miss the bottom. Weights to fly length is also easily adjustable.

Proved this to a dedicated fly fishing buddy of mine yet again last Friday on the Kenai River just below the mouth of the Russian. I had my three big reds on the bank long before he caught and landed one. I finally loaned him my rod and tackle and he finally caught several. Next time we go down he will be fishing mono also.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I use a sink tip for stream fishing,New York feeder streams.Works great with a sinking leader.No split shot to hang up I feel it's a smoother connection to the fly than floatind and shot.

Stevesch said,
    Other than saving the cost to buy a sinktip line and extra spool, I can think of no advantage of this technique.
    The advantage...? How about catching a lot more fish? (I'm talking silvers here in most conditions that I fish. Think river fishing.)

I don't care how fast a sink tip gets down when cast directly acrossed from you or even slightly up stream. It will take more time to get down than some big old ugly spit shot, on a long leader. Thus it fishes a lot more water because it is on the bottomn where most of the fish hold.

Once on the bottom I start a steady strip keeping my rod tip pointed directly at the fly with said rod tip in the water. This keeps a direct contact between the fisherman and the fly. Any stop or "funny feeling" gets a hook set. Sometimes it's bottom, but often enough it turns into a cartwheeling silver. Usually the hit is anything but mellow.

Cost of sink tips doesn't come into play. I own a bunch and can easily afford a bunch more. If they were even remotely as good at fish catching in the streams that I fish I would often use them I'm sure. They are easier to cast. Your casts looks "purty" too. I'd never get wacked by split shot. All kidding aside... getting a decent length cast, avoiding hitting yourself in the head, and keeping in contact with your fly can be more difficult and frustrating at first than using a sink tip. Don't forget to always wear eye protection!

Using a sink tip would also help because I'd loose less flies on bottom snags. Why? Because I'd be in the strike zone less. I usually bring a lot of flies which are easy to tie and I don't care if I loose them.

I've been mostly fishing this way for 15+ years here in Alaska. It works.

BTW, Stevesch. Do you sell sink tips? And no, I don't sell split shot.

To each his/her own. Any way you choose to fish, have fun.

AkGunner