Thread: How many hours can I expect

Default How many hours can I expect

My marine mechanic tells me it is time to repower the 24' SeaSport. It has the 5.7 Volvo gas engine with 1500 hours on it. That doesn't seem like all that many hours. He doesn't tell me an exact reason, just that the time is nigh. . . . . . . (trying to make a paragraph here) . . I do respect my mechanic, he is very good. Would like to hear other opinions, thanks. The new engine package he recommends is $20,000 not installed!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

$20K not installed! wow that is too much money. I can repower my Kodiak marine fuel injected motor for half of that. That includes everything, not just a long block. Check this site out http://www.michiganmotorz.com/ $9899 for a brand new MPFI 350 with 3 year warranty.

Is he recommending switching to diesel?

As for engine hours I can agree with it maybe time to replace or rebuild. Thats a lot of hours on a gas motor IMO
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

20K for a small block chevy... he is smoking crack! Does it use oil in excess? How is the compression? Does it start reliably? Does it seem to have good power, or feel weak? Is it making unusual noise?

I repowered a 26' Bayliner Ciera (installed a long block) a few years ago for just under 8K, including all new plumbing and a new heat exchanger.

If you have been maintaining your engine properly and cannot name any faults with it, then why repower? In all my years as a mechanic, I never once told anyone it was time to repower anything "just because".

1500 hrs on a gas engine can be a lot, but it really depends on how these hours accumulated. In other words, is it from running the boat hard at higher RPM's, or idling a lot? 2 very different spectrums. As asked, did you do compression checks etc? Really kind of need a little more info. Gas engines are good for 2000 to 3000 hours for normal operations before rebuild or replacement is required.

I have a very good friend of mine that got close to 5k hours on his 302 jet, decided to sell the boat to upgrade. A potential buyer did a donut spin on the water, cavitated the boat, RPM's revved, he didn't throttle down and the engine threw a rod. Same thing can happen with a new engine too, but older engines don't like this either.

Lastely, 20k for an gas engine and transmission seems a bit high by about 40 to 50%. A Volvo gas engine should be in the 10k range, plus install costs. Diesel engine is going to cost you about 25k without install. (This I know for sure because I was investigating the need to might replace one of my ocean boat engines.)

Hope this helps some.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    20K for a small block chevy... he is smoking crack! Does it use oil in excess? How is the compression? Does it start reliably? Does it seem to have good power, or feel weak? Is it making unusual noise?

I repowered a 26' Bayliner Ciera (installed a long block) a few years ago for just under 8K, including all new plumbing and a new heat exchanger.

If you have been maintaining your engine properly and cannot name any faults with it, then why repower? In all my years as a mechanic, I never once told anyone it was time to repower anything "just because".

Plus 1 for sure to. 338 is dead on...
    Tony

How does the boat run are you having problem? Is the only reason he is saying that is because it has 1500 hr? The Volvo is a heavy duty Chevy 350 it can it be rebuilt if needed?

If it was my boat I would do a bleed down test to start with, and a full tune up. Does it use oil?
    Do you know anyone that has a new boat that you can check out to see how much better it run?

buddies of mine used to get 4-6000 hours out of their gassers in their bowpickers, your engine is just getting broken in !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Folks used to say 1100 hours was equal to 60,000 miles on the road with an automotive style engine.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

for 20k it sounds like you are getting a motor and outdrive package. I just had my motor replaced (just the motor) for half that. My motor is a 5.7 mercruiser so unless there is a significant price increase between the two, theres no way your motor should be costing that much. either way I hope you get it figured out, not being on the water sucks.

New exhaust risers and elbows, hoses, plugs, plug wires, and you should be good for another 1,500 hrs provided it isn't a rusty crusty engine. Our inboards are pushing 1,000 hrs and are shiny and new at 12 years. They live inside as inboards and we keep her in the water year round without winterizing. They key is to keep the engine room dry and warm. Manifolds are usually the first thing to go. Your 5.7 should go much longer. Sometimes a new carb is in order but also think about an efi conversion as they can pay off with the increase in economy.

Sobie2

Default Can't make paragraphs, wth?

Thanks for all the replys! Thanks akbliss, good link. Turnkey for under 10k w/ a 3 year warranty for the gas moter. The outdrive REBUILD starts at 1200, says to expect 5-6k as he sees grey matter in the oil. (That one makes sense as to need, but seems spendy) ...........,...................................... .................................................. .................................................. ................................... My current motor starts first crank, almost, every time. Once in awhile out fishing the restart takes a couple of cranks. I have blamed that on throttle lever positioning on my part. I do have to add oil every 8-10 hours of running. I almost never go above 3200 rpms. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................... The only real issue ever was last year when I lost an o ring in the oil filter circuit. He also says it is time to pull the fuel tanks and check for corrosion. . .................................................. ..................,............................... .................................................. ....................................... I have no doubt that he is a great mechanic. I have been going to him for years. He looks at boats like they are airplanes. All systems are critical for a safe return to the harbor. Not sure what a bleed down test is. I do think a compression test is a good idea.............................................. .................................,................ .................................................. ................................................ Anyway, I now have more to discuss with him. Like me supplying the parts and he doing his usual first class work. Thanks all!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

A bleed down or leak down test is when compressed aair is applied to a cylinder with both valves closed, then an ear put to the intake and exhaust mainfolds and oil filler/valve cover for sounds of air leaking past the valves and or piston rings. It is an indication of the condition of the combustion chamber generaly performed after a compression test to determine or pinpoint the component where the loss of compression is.

If a compression test shows good ..... and no big variation between cylinders ... you should have lots of hours left on your motor. Sometimes replacing a carburetor and ignition parts including spark plug wires ... can make a motor run like new again. In Alaska where boats are laid up for long winter months ...... it's hard to prevent evaporating carburetor fuel from leaving trouble causing residue behind. Good atomized fuel, good spark, and proper timing is what is needed for 'instant starts'.

Problems with exhaust risers and elbows (typical in inboard outboards)... that leak over time ..... ruin more motors than just about anything. Leaky risers let water find it's way to valves and seats .... and rust soon follows. No easy fix for that one (valve job)..... but, a compression test will determine that pretty quickly.

I have a 24ft Skipjack. I repowered in 2000 with a new Volvo 5.7GSI and duo-prop.
    In the crate the motor and outdrive cost just over $10,000.
    It cost just over $18,000 to install both. My transom had to be rebuilt from a larger hole for the 280 outdrive to a smaller hole for the duo-prop.
    I have 13 years and 2980 hours on my motor.
    Every spring I either rebuild or replace my raw water pump.
    I have replaced my circulating pump once.
    Every spring I remove and inspect my manifolds and risers. I clean them out and make a decision to replace or reuse them.
    I tune up the motor at least once a year. Plugs, rotor and distributor cap.
    I removed the oil filter and I installed an Amsoil dual oil filter system.
    Every other year I replace all he belts.
    I am a firm believer in flushing the motor after every saltwater use. I use Salt Away rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    . Not sure what a bleed down test is. I do think a compression test is a good idea.............................................. .................................,................ .................................................. ................................................
    A leak down test is simmer to a compression test but more accurate. It would tell you if the rings are bad and bad ring burn oil. Google it to find out more information.

Depending on your boat you could check the fuel tank yourself for corrosion. I would start with a presser test, it fairly easy to do and you don't need to remove the tank. If there is a problem you may not be able to have a new tank built until the winter.

At least once a year I take a infared thermometer gun out and check the temps at different areas of the block, manifolds and risers.
    http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-In.../dp/B002YE3FS4
    One year I found a manifold plugging before it caused a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderunner View Post
    At least once a year I take a infared thermometer gun out and check the temps at different areas of the block, manifolds and risers.
    http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-In.../dp/B002YE3FS4
    One year I found a manifold plugging before it caused a problem.
    thanks for the link i just ordered one !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692