Thread: Trolling for saltwater kings

Default Trolling for saltwater kings

Which areas are best around the state for saltwater kings? Can they be fished for in cook inlet reliably or is the south east a much better fishery for them. I have heard that the SE in general has phenomenal salt water fisheries that serve as a highway both for British columbia fish and or the Alaskan fish as they spend most of their time feeding down there prior to their migrations. Can anyone advise

For consistant king fishing from May-Aug, it'd be tough to beat the outer coast communites of Sitka and Craig. They happen to fall smack dab in a big migration route for kings, and consistantly have good king fishing. Other places also have good king fishing too, but those two places come to mind.

Good choice. Further north we have excellent trolling now and then, but with long spotty stretches between. A month ago we were catching lots, but now it's a hunt to catch one.

A lot of places rely on 1 or 2 runs for their king fishing.. So when those runs are spotty or in low abundance, things can get tough. Migration route on the outer coast consists of a big mixed stock of fish, with less of a chance of poor fishing. Not to mention all those upper river columbia fish that cruise right by Baranof and POW.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    For consistant king fishing from May-Aug, it'd be tough to beat the outer coast communites of Sitka and Craig. They happen to fall smack dab in a big migration route for kings, and consistantly have good king fishing. Other places also have good king fishing too, but those two places come to mind.
    Agreed, I'd put Sitka/Craig as #1, too. Kodiak, especially Old Harbor, in the #2 spot, then Homer as #3 and Seward as #4.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

It's about as good as it gets right now out of Craig. Kings are pretty much everywhere on the outside of Baker/Noyes on the W side of POW, out of Craig. Not sure how Sitka is doing right now, but I'm starting to question ADFG abundance index this year. Sure seems to be a lot of kings in the ocean compared to previous years. Those upper river columbia fish they thought wouldn't make harvestible 28" inches seem to be making 28-30", and are harvestable. Lots of small kings, with some nice ones mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Agreed, I'd put Sitka/Craig as #1, too. Kodiak, especially Old Harbor, in the #2 spot, then Homer as #3 and Seward as #4.
    The West side of Yakobi Island (accessible by boats from Elfin Cove, Pelican, and Gustavus), probably deserves to be on the short list too.

Big_E

Thanks 270ti. What is the preferred method , around baker/noyes , trolling or mooching ? Im very interested in fishing around POW island. Is the migration route just to the east of the island. Sounds fantastic........Thanks for all your help

If kings are your target, fish Craig chartered. Dynamite fishing, I saw a few folks troll most mooched last week. Hell even I caught them! We troll here on the east coast. Kings finally showed with a vengeance.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Awesome! Will be in the neighborhood in a couple days fishing out of Waterfall. This one king a day limit for residents is insane. Gotta make that one count. I'll be at the Pineapple feeding the resident sealion!

It's about as good as it gets right now out of Craig. Kings are pretty much everywhere on the outside of Baker/Noyes on the W side of POW, out of Craig. Not sure how Sitka is doing right now, but I'm starting to question ADFG abundance index this year. Sure seems to be a lot of kings in the ocean compared to previous years. Those upper river columbia fish they thought wouldn't make harvestible 28" inches seem to be making 28-30", and are harvestable. Lots of small kings, with some nice ones mixed in.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Mooch. Much more effective to cover a wider band of the water column.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Thanks 270ti. What is the preferred method , around baker/noyes , trolling or mooching ? Im very interested in fishing around POW island. Is the migration route just to the east of the island. Sounds fantastic........Thanks for all your help

Just got back from 4 days at waterfall. I stopped counting my king hook ups somewhere around 45. Epic fishing. Three different times we had four fish on. Feed the sealion a bunch. Veeta bay was red hot today.

Wow thanks TLINGITWARRIOR , sounds amazing at the minute!. The whole area seems to be buzzing at the minute with the kings.. Thanks for the update

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Just got back from 4 days at waterfall. I stopped counting my king hook ups somewhere around 45. Epic fishing. Three different times we had four fish on. Feed the sealion a bunch. Veeta bay was red hot today.
    I was hitting veta in the afternoon for cohos this last week. Get a few cohos out deep and then a school of kings would roll under the boat. And I hate shaking kings. Congrats on the epic fishing. It doesn't get better. So many kings tho. No reason to be fishing around sea lions. Waste.