Thread: Seward Halibut?

Default Seward Halibut?

My son and I spent the last two days in Seward and caught some halibut, but also caught another small flatfish with scales rather than skin, not sure what they are.
    Paul

Halibut actually have scales, like most fish, they are just very tiny. Nobody is going to be able to help you id a fish without a description or photo.

Probably arrowtooth flounder.
    BK

Arrow tooth is my guess for sure.
    Tony

Arrow tooth. I was down there this week and we caught several.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Arrow tooth flounder have sharp skinny teeth. I saw a guy at the cleaning tables with some hung up for a picture and was talking about his halibut. I didn't have the heart to pop his bubble. I hope they ate good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    Arrow tooth flounder have sharp skinny teeth. I saw a guy at the cleaning tables with some hung up for a picture and was talking about his halibut. I didn't have the heart to pop his bubble. I hope they ate good for him.
    hahaha oh boy..

You know you are fishing in seward on a small tide set when the arrow tooth are bigger than the halibut.....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Limits of halibut for all of us today, not a single arrow tooth or cod, just halibut and two rockfish.

Ran out of Seward on Friday for a overnighter and went stright to Montague, our favorite spot a little to east and north of Cape Clear produced lots of 10 to 30 lb fish, held out on the last one and caught a 5'2" Halibut. First big fish that I caught on my new Shimano Travala rod, after about 20 minutes of "fun" handed the big butt off to my son. Most of the time the rod was in a 180 degree bend, with the folcrum of the lever (the rod)closer to your body it is eaiser to fight a big fish. .... freezer now full of bottom fish, time to look for salmon .... Great weather by the way.

Anyone got advice on halibut in the chiswell area? I was out there this weekend and nothing but huge yellow eye. With the limit change this year we were a bit more careful fishing, still released several. I picked up 3 butts around pilot rock on the way out atleast. I know to fish around some structure but pretty rocky out there. Is there sand /mud to fish in the chiswell area? Should I just go east instead to get on some fish?

I have never had much luck in that area, East works better for me. Look at your chart there is a mound south of pilot rock that holds a few Halibut when salmon are in at Pony Cove. Where ever you go expect Spiny Dog fish and Arrow Tooth, way more than I have seen this early.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Yup, gonna head east as long as the weather allows. I was headed to fish that hump south of pilot rock on the was back from the chiswells. Then I noticed another boat and I didnt want to invade his space.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Anyone got advice on halibut in the chiswell area? I was out there this weekend and nothing but huge yellow eye. With the limit change this year we were a bit more careful fishing, still released several. I picked up 3 butts around pilot rock on the way out atleast. I know to fish around some structure but pretty rocky out there. Is there sand /mud to fish in the chiswell area? Should I just go east instead to get on some fish?
    yelloweye? darn it, thats what I was after this last week out of Seward. Did you catch them on halibut rigs or jigs?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

half and half I would say. Halibut rig with just herring and as for the jig, bone yard baits glow and a white grub on 16oz head. The ones around pilot rock were smaller than the ones around the chiswells.

I've found if you want to catch larger yellow eye, fish in 250-350' of water.

They don't seem to be that picky on what you catch them with. We've taken them on leadheads with grubs and shad's and most varieties of metal bodied jigs. I even took one with one of Chris' torpedo jigs yesterday.

Here's one taken with an 8oz leadhead and a 9" white/red boneyard shad.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    What changed for the rules? I thought seward has been 1 yelloweye for several years??

Chiswell-- Have not caught many halibut there, but all of them have been good size.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.