Thread: Water Purification System

Default Water Purification System

Wondering if anyone has any experience purifying lake water to be stored in a tank. Lake is clean and tank is 200gal. looking to get away from hauling in water in the summer months. Has anyone used an RO system? Any type of gravity system that can be filtered from another tank? Or can Chlorine be used to make it potable? Thanks for any help.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by nasty View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any experience purifying lake water to be stored in a tank. Lake is clean and tank is 200gal. looking to get away from hauling in water in the summer months. Has anyone used an RO system? Any type of gravity system that can be filtered from another tank? Or can Chlorine be used to make it potable? Thanks for any help.
    you need to filter as well as disinfect/chlorinate. Giardia can be filtered out, but you need a disinfection step to deal with cryptosporidium. Using an RO unit would be best as it will eliminate both pathogens. Pre filtering (for sediment) will greatly extend the life of your RO unit.

Prior to having a good well we used a Katadyne base camp drip filter for drinking water and used unfltered but chlorine-treated water for everything else, like dishes and showers. It was simple to produce adequate volume of potable water. I have an RO system on a home faucet but it requires typical home water pressures to operate. If your system is pressurized it may work for you. Filtration and UV light may be an easier solution. Alaska Pure Water has sold cabin water purification systems for many years. They'd be a good place to get ideas of what works. One other point to consider, if you let the place freeze in winter make sure you can drain the system adequately. If you use the place in winter and want an occasional use system with freeze-up in between your choices will be different than a guy with a warm house and pressurized water system.

Assuming you have adequate power (and somewhat deep pockets), the other option is a steam distillation unit. We used on for years when we lived in West Africa.

I haven't done that volume all at once, but we filter creek/lake water and/or rain barrel collection water and store in 5 gallon jugs. I use a Sawyer Point One in-line drip filter http://www.sawyer.com/water.html#water1 . It'll do maybe 4 gallons an hour but if you had more head I think the flow would increase. Sawyer says 540 gallons in a day, which seems overly hopeful. Either way, at $70 or so, it's a cheap and simple solution for us. Once it's flowing, it runs itself other than an occasional backwash of the filter (which speeds the flow once the crud is gone). So, it might take a day or two to get yourself 200 gallons. Our creek/lake water is sorta tea colored with tannins; the filtered water still has some color to it, which doesn't bother us so long as the bugs are gone. We're on year 3 of running it and have had not problems either with the unit or our guts!

You can use a chlorine bleach and kill all microbs in your water. The info is available on the net, I 'm not home and don't have my chart but I believe it's 8 drops of bleach per gallon; takes about 30 mins exposure time. If you don't like the taste just let the top stay off overnite and the odor and chlorine will evaporate somewhat. Also course once water boils for 3-5 minutes all microbs are destroyed as well.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !