Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Klutina Reports?

Default Klutina Reports?

Anyone have any reports from Klutina the last few days? I've seen the charts, and it's looking like it's gonna be awesome a little later on. Just curious as to whether or not it would be worth making a day trip early next week. Thanks!
    Ryan from Wasilla

I am chomping at the bit too. I called one of the campgrounds today and they said nothing yet but they expect the reds will be there any day now and that reservations are starting to fill up there spots for next week.

That's a great idea, I didn't even think to call a campground. I know what you mean, I'm stoked to get up there!
    Ryan from Wasilla

no rollers or signs of fish yet

The kid next door brought home 9 Reds from the Kultina this afternoon. They were fishing at the mouth.

Just a question about the set up to use there. I am taking my GF there this weekend and gonna hopefully get her hooked up on her first salmon. I was planning on using some size 3/0 Gamakatsu with some yarn and 3/4 oz rubber core? But I haven't been there in a while and not sure if this would be the best choice.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer Filler View Post
    Just a question about the set up to use there. I am taking my GF there this weekend and gonna hopefully get her hooked up on her first salmon. I was planning on using some size 3/0 Gamakatsu with some yarn and 3/4 oz rubber core? But I haven't been there in a while and not sure if this would be the best choice.
    If you are targeting reds, then I would go with a much smaller hook...maybe size 2, but definitely no bigger than 1/0.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    If you are targeting reds, then I would go with a much smaller hook...maybe size 2, but definitely no bigger than 1/0.
    Thanks I will take those hooks back, also kinda leaning to getting some 1/4in solid core lead and doing those over rubber core.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    The kid next door brought home 9 Reds from the Kultina this afternoon. They were fishing at the mouth.
    Thanks for the post, much appreciated.

Heading down this weekend for my first trip on the klutina hopefully it picks up! Does anyone use spinning gear to catch them on ? My biggest fly rod is a 4 wt a bit small lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Heading down this weekend for my first trip on the klutina hopefully it picks up! Does anyone use spinning gear to catch them on ? My biggest fly rod is a 4 wt a bit small lol
    Word is fish are starting to filter in and with the huge numbers lately it will only get better. Leave you 4 wt at home! Spinning rod will work fine, rig it with AT LEAST 15lb, better if you go 20 or more. Should be able to get some fish this weekend.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Word is fish are starting to filter in and with the huge numbers lately it will only get better. Leave you 4 wt at home! Spinning rod will work fine, rig it with AT LEAST 15lb, better if you go 20 or more. Should be able to get some fish this weekend.
    Awesome my spinning rig may be a bit over kill its what I use in the salt in Valdez for yellow eye and ling cod. It has 60lb braid on it right now maybe I will throw some mono on before the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Awesome my spinning rig may be a bit over kill its what I use in the salt in Valdez for yellow eye and ling cod. It has 60lb braid on it right now maybe I will throw some mono on before the weekend
    I would def downsize the line a little. Not because of the fish, but because of snags. Snag a log or rock with the line you got, prolly gonna have to cut it. 20-25 mono will break a lot easier if you snag up and still plenty to haul fish in. Good luck, post a report.

Few questions on this river and fishery if y'all dont mind, this weekend may be my first trip over there.
    U guys floss em(reds)? I do real well on the russian/kenai, for all species and techniques, have all the gear, just haven't fished this area.
    Is this river walk-in, wade-able? I left my cat in Cooper landing, I know its less crowded than the KP, however I feel like I should stick to known fishing areas(safty, girl friend in tow) until I get a feel for the river/area.
    Any areas anyone wants to say? Something like Bings, RR ferry, Dots,on the KP...To compare to.
    Im a trout guy also, any cut throats over there?
    Thanks, Jon...

Quote Originally Posted by lateralus View Post
    Few questions on this river and fishery if y'all dont mind, this weekend may be my first trip over there.
    U guys floss em(reds)? I do real well on the russian/kenai, for all species and techniques, have all the gear, just haven't fished this area.
    Is this river walk-in, wade-able? I left my cat in Cooper landing, I know its less crowded than the KP, however I feel like I should stick to known fishing areas(safty, girl friend in tow) until I get a feel for the river/area.
    Any areas anyone wants to say? Something like Bings, RR ferry, Dots,on the KP...To compare to.
    Im a trout guy also, any cut throats over there?
    Thanks, Jon...
    It's a class 3+ or - river depending on conditions wouldn't want to wade too far out especially since it ispretty silty so it makes it hard to see drop offs etc. I have never fished it but always stop by on my way to Valdez. When I called the campground for my reservations they said fishing is starting to pick up down river closer to the mouth so any day they should be in around the camp grounds. As far as where to go alot of people fish on the campground property and right off the road it is surrounded by private property a bit so know where you are fishing.

and just so im clear on the regs for this area you can keep 3 per day over 16'' and 10 per day under 16''? Never fished this area before so just want to be clear.

While you are technically correct, it is very unlikely that you will be catching any reds under 16". 3 reds per day and if we're lucky they'll open kings up on 1 July.

The fish are showing up good.

6 feet of 25lb test mono attached to a stick will work good. rubber core weights work fine. I have used all kinds of different weights. A 1 ounce bannana trolling weight always seems to work good with a conventional rod set up for me.

I prefer to use an 8wt fly rod with the reel spooled with chuck&duck line. Most time I need no extra weight at all.

looks like it will be a good year for sockeye!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

How do you fish the klutina? Do you floss or something else?
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Floss just like everywhere else.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast