Thread: launching Friday night in Whittier / Kids Need Fish!

Default launching Friday night in Whittier / Kids Need Fish!

Well I am going to attempt a 9:00pm launch or so tonight with my large boat. i feel confident me and the girls can do it just fine. I am hoping to launch late tonight to miss the commotion at the ramp tomorrow morning giving my less that perfect launching crew.
    By doing this I am correct right, should be pretty quiet right?
    I will be doing some shrimping and in search of a some Halibut just like everyone else.
    If I am unsucessful I really need to put the kids on some action fishing, even if its Pinks. Can I fish out near Esther Is or will the Commercial boys have it blocked up this weekend?
    Thank gentlemen for any info you may have.

I doubt the ramp will be quiet on a Friday Night. Last weekend we went through the tunnel @ 2:30pm and there were a dozen boats lined up behind us. With the weather the way it is, I'd expect Friday night to be rather crowded.

As far as fishing, I know you can get the kids on some rockfish drifting the Bay on the East side of the N end of Culross passage (I don't see a nam on the chart). The fish aren't big and the fishing isn't read hot, but you can get them on fish there. That bay is also a nice spot to duck out of any chop that might have kicked up in Wells passage. If you want to head a bit further out, S end of Perry in South Bay is also good for rockfish.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Well I am going to attempt a 9:00pm launch or so tonight with my large boat. i feel confident me and the girls can do it just fine. I am hoping to launch late tonight to miss the commotion at the ramp tomorrow morning giving my less that perfect launching crew.
    By doing this I am correct right, should be pretty quiet right?
    I will be doing some shrimping and in search of a some Halibut just like everyone else.
    If I am unsucessful I really need to put the kids on some action fishing, even if its Pinks. Can I fish out near Esther Is or will the Commercial boys have it blocked up this weekend?
    Thank gentlemen for any info you may have.
    We fished out by Esther Island when the commercial fleet was out. The commercial fleet was concentrated on the southwest corner of the Island when we were out so once we got by them, it was open around the entrance to the Hatchery. The chum fishing was a blast and it should only get better. We had best luck running downriggers in 50 and 100 ft down in anywhere from 150 ft to 400 ft of water. We did get strikes several times at 30 ft or so as we were adjusting the stacking on downriggers so a diver or 8 to 16 oz trolling weight would probably do the trick. Green Label herring behind a flasher outperformed brads plugs 4 to 1 that day. We had about 30 fish on with 4 rods in four hours time. We only managed to land half but we had tons more strikes and it was great practice. About two thirds of the time would produce multiple strikes which is always chaos and a blast! There are quite a few jumpers so I think trolling shallower and higher in the water column could still produce results though we tried to flat line lures out a few times and we never did get a strike.

We also caught some nice rockfish in the area though the fishing was pretty slow and we had to move after awhile as the only fish we were hitting were yelloweyes and quillbacks.

Another quick thing to check out with kids is the possible herring fishery right off the ferry docks. Use your sonar, find the school, and jig sabikis. great bait and great fun for kids (and adults). The only problem is too early in the year, you are going to be jigging up salmon smolts and small pollock and cod. Last year, I did manage herring around June 30th in decent numbers. But if you are looking for just tugs on a rod for the kids, the pollock and cod are virtually sure bets in that area. If the herring are in, they tend to be found in the first 30 ft or so of the water column with the pollock hanging out below them. Cant miss them if you have a sonar and they are there.

Halibut remain very elusive for us out of Whittier. We seems to be able to catch a few but they don't seem very big and its very spotty. Our group tends to stay closer to Whittier and not run to Knight Island or even Montague.