Thread: Trout fishing on the Bases.

Default Trout fishing on the Bases.

Anyone having any luck on the base lakes or Ft Rich? Have fished the past 4 nites with little to no luck at all. What kind of bait are yins using? I have tried eggs, shrimp, and meal worms with not much luck. Am I doing something wrong or is it to early? Thanks for any help.

Dave,
    I've tried all types of spinners and I haven't had any luck at all. I was able to catch a few trout on night crawlers. I saw a few guys catch trout with fly rods but I still have to learn how to do that. I heard that otter lake has pike in it now so they don't stock it anymore. Do you know if this true?
    The lakes are getting fished pretty hard so good luck.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    ......I heard that otter lake has pike in it now so they don't stock it anymore. Do you know if this true?......
    I'm pretty sure it is.

I know that the environmental/habitat folks had a netting project out there looking for pike, and I'd heard they'd found some.

I don't know if that resulted in them not stocking the lake anymore.

Can't comment on the base lakes, but as far as what tackle I prefer, it's eithet a 1/4 oz castmaster or spoon. For castmasters, either brass, brass/green, brass/blue, brass/red. For spoons I like silver, silver/blue, silver green, silver red and white/red. I replace the trebles with single hooks, and usually a relatively large hook to keep the smaller fish off.

I'll start off with either a brass castmaster or silver/red spoon. They seem to be the most effective, but sometimes the other colors work well. And odds are if those colors don't catch something within a few casts, it's going to be a slow day.

I've tried about every combination of spinner in 1, 2 and 3 sizes, and the castmasters and spoons outfish them by far. 6# mono seems to have a decent balance of casting distance and not breaking off of snags.

They should stock them soon. They've cut back on the numbers I believe. Otter lake is the one with the pick problem. It must have been a bad day. The fish in these lakes a usually so easy to catch that it gets old fast.

Thanks for the input. Its just been slow so far this week.

You cannot go wrong with a Panther Martin Black and Gold #9.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Clunie is pretty awesome, get a casting bubble and a scud fly
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.