Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just moved to fairbanks

Default just moved to fairbanks

I just moved to fairbanks and I am looking for some good sport river/lake fishing for this time of the year I know about all the local lakes and what are in them, but i really want to get into river fishing im not sure how to chena river or salcha river is this time of year or where some good fishing spots on these rivers are.

Fly fishing is good on the Chena and the Chatanika rivers. Read your regs if your new to Alaska. Haven't done the Salcha (yet) so can't say much. Just look around all these fishing threads. You'll learn more than might imagine. I don't lake fish much. Mostly fly fish.

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    Fly fishing is good on the Chena and the Chatanika rivers. Read your regs if your new to Alaska. Haven't done the Salcha (yet) so can't say much. Just look around all these fishing threads. You'll learn more than might imagine. I don't lake fish much. Mostly fly fish.

I haven't tried fly fishing yet I really want to get into it though it seems like that's where all the fishimg is here

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    I'd give the Chena another week or two. There are fish all the way up but they're not very well-distributed so it's spotty, and if you're new to the river you're likely to be frustrated unless someone tells you exactly where to go (which ain't too likely). ADF&G just stocked a lot of the local ponds and lakes, so that's something. Or, drive up to the rec area and give the river a shot, and if it's not working for you move to the ponds.

The river should be easier to fish in another week or so, I think, but it's been a very, very weird year.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

yea that's what I've been hearing is that the China river is still muddy. I keep waiting for it to clear up and every week it doesn't seem to change so hopefully not to long it will be cleared up do you know any good spots for the river once it is cleared? I know there's the rec center on China hot spring road and there's all the river access turn offs just wondering if there's spots I'm. missing

Quote Originally Posted by mikemasoner View Post
    yea that's what I've been hearing is that the China river is still muddy.
    No, it's really cleared up a lot in the last two days - the water is really nice and the water level is good, but the fish are podding up in a few locations. Usually by now there's fish everywhere, but it could be another week. Look for deep holes on outside bends, spots under trees, etc. But fishing is still a little weird. I was looking at this one conduit today that's used by grayling to move into the river once it drops and warms up, and it's completely clogged. Also, gravel bars and holes have moved more than they usually do during breakup. One spot that was full of fish two days ago had only a few smaller guys today - the bigger fish are on the move. So, we aren't quite to summer fishing, but soon.

This is from today (it was really hot but the water was too cold to wet wade, so from time to time I stretched out to cool off). The water was very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    No, it's really cleared up a lot in the last two days - the water is really nice and the water level is good, but the fish are podding up in a few locations. Usually by now there's fish everywhere, but it could be another week. Look for deep holes on outside bends, spots under trees, etc. But fishing is still a little weird. I was looking at this one conduit today that's used by grayling to move into the river once it drops and warms up, and it's completely clogged. Also, gravel bars and holes have moved more than they usually do during breakup. One spot that was full of fish two days ago had only a few smaller guys today - the bigger fish are on the move. So, we aren't quite to summer fishing, but soon.

This is from today (it was really hot but the water was too cold to wet wade, so from time to time I stretched out to cool off). The water was very clear.

nice pic I will hopefully get to the river next week I went down to some ponds on chsr this weekend plenty of grayling there just smaller because they recently stocked them I would really like to find a good location on the river where wading is nice and the water is not to fast

Quote Originally Posted by mikemasoner View Post
    nice pic I will hopefully get to the river next week I went down to some ponds on chsr this weekend plenty of grayling there just smaller because they recently stocked them I would really like to find a good location on the river where wading is nice and the water is not to fast
    The stocked fish are little rainbows. At the mile 48 pond they dumped them into the pond on the right. The pond on the left is full of graylings that were spawned there - they haven't stocked graylings in the CHSR ponds since 2009. They just grow small there. Anyway, what the heck: go up to the West Fork and have a poke around. There's some easy wading and some okay fishing, and it's really pretty.

The stocked fish are little rainbows. At the mile 48 pond they dumped them into the pond on the right. The pond on the left is full of graylings that were spawned there - they haven't stocked graylings in the CHSR ponds since 2009. They just grow small there. Anyway, what the heck: go up to the West Fork and have a poke around. There's some easy wading and some okay fishing, and it's really pretty.

where is this west fork you speak of 0.0 ive seen the north fork down chsr but have no idea where the middle or west forks are i heard they are both good

Middle fork is not really accessible on foot. West fork crosses under the road between 52 and 53. Also take a look at the satellite images on Google and Bing maps. If it looks fishy it probably is (at least once the fish have distributed).

Middle fork is not really accessible on foot. West fork crosses under the road between 52 and 53. Also take a look at the satellite images on Google and Bing maps. If it looks fishy it probably is (at least once the fish have distributed).

OK nice thanks a lot I'll most likely hit that up this weekend and see what happens

Water was clear and fishing is picking up. We floated from 44 mile and my 6 year old caught 6, outfished all of us.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

"I just moved to fairbanks"

Are you being punished? Only kidding....

Come on down and fish the Upper and Lower Tangle Lakes. Lakers and lots of Grayling, need a canoe. Always fun.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    "I just moved to fairbanks"

Are you being punished? Only kidding....

Come on down and fish the Upper and Lower Tangle Lakes. Lakers and lots of Grayling, need a canoe. Always fun.

Walt
    i just got stationed here lol not punished the army just needed more people here lol but i really want to get down to the river for some nice grayling and learn more about river fishing and fly fishing. Also would like to land some nice salmon next month that would be fun

Just fished the past two days and found some nice sized grayling hanging in various holes around our campground. Probably caught 6-7 on bead-head nymphs and 1 on a mosquito pattern. Only caught 1 on a small spinner (yellow with red dots and silver spinner). Wasn't as hot of fishing as I have had in the past on stretches on the Chena but not bad and the weather was perfect (actually a bit hot).

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Just fished the past two days and found some nice sized grayling hanging in various holes around our campground. Probably caught 6-7 on bead-head nymphs and 1 on a mosquito pattern. Only caught 1 on a small spinner (yellow with red dots and silver spinner). Wasn't as hot of fishing as I have had in the past on stretches on the Chena but not bad and the weather was perfect (actually a bit hot).

yea I heard those nymph are dead on for grayling. which mile marker was your campground at? do you use aa split shot rig when in the river or just keep it sinkerless when spinning?

First post but have been a lurker for a few months. I got up here in November, stationed at Eielson. Anyways, I ventured up the Chena this past Saturday for the first time. I first picked up a fly rod 2 weeks ago, first time fishing the Chena River, and I had a blast! Found a nice little hole off the road and caught 25 grayling in 2 hours, biggest was around 17\18 inches! Just get out there and enjoy this great state man!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Frosty, congrats man and welcome to the forum. That is a heck of a haul with limited experience on a fly-rod. Glad to hear you got right into the fish for whatever reason it took me a while to find them once I moved up here in fact wasn't until getting on this forum that I really started getting a handle on Alaska fishing over-all.

Thanks man! I chalk it up to beginners luck! I have also been doing real good on Chena Lake and Pile Driver for anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by frosty31 View Post
    Thanks man! I chalk it up to beginners luck! I have also been doing real good on Chena Lake and Pile Driver for anyone interested.
    man thats great frosty i would love to get into the fly fishing i will probably be investing in one soon where would you suggest goign about finding a good hole in the river? the corners where the river turns? im not much a of a river guy so dont know much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast