Thread: Fishing Juneau- Warm Weather Weekend

Default Fishing Juneau- Warm Weather Weekend

We are going to try and get out for the first time this year. Supposed to be a very warm weekend. Anyone going out and if so, will you fish deeper or different areas because of the temps? We are not the most experienced fishermen so any tips would help!
    Thanks,
    Julia

Would help to know what you're after. I'm hitting the terminal area (Auke Bay and Fritz Cove) for hatchery kings. It's prime time right now.

Suggest downriggers at 30-60 feet. White/white and green/green plastic_flasher-hootchie combos are a good start. Surface rods will catch some fish, but on a hot, sunny weekend, deeper is better. Herring will work too. I prefer a dodger or a metal trolling flasher with a whole herring.

Halibut are on the bottom, so go deep for them! 150-250', or so.

Thanks L.G. I really appreciate your post. We will get anything we can right now. Nothing today but one chum. Will try your suggestions and see what happens. It was a hot one out there today!
    Julia

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fish for Kings this weekend. How was the bite around Auke the last few days?

dammit! Wish I coulda got out. Nice haul though.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    This was a pretty good weekend.
    I say . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fish for Kings this weekend. How was the bite around Auke the last few days?
    Got out early Sun. Fishing in Auke Bay during the high tide. A few kings were rolling at the mouth of Auke Creek. We went in shallow along the beach and picked this one up. Ran the downrigger at 11 feet. The shallowest I've ever caught one, but we were running in water as shallow as 20'. A little dark, but nice flesh. Kings milling and rolling in the Harbor near the lauch for those who know how to work that angle.

After high tide it went pretty dead. Trolled down to the cut at Smugglers, then went over to Fritz Cove. A few chumpys, but no real hot king action. Saw a couple get caught right at low tide. That low tide change always seems to be the best at the head of Fritz.

Grego, why you blot out your pretty face?

Not me, my buddy. Didn't want to plaster his face all over the internet.