Thread: African Trophies

Default African Trophies

I'm looking for some information about African trophies. I've never been into taxidermy at all, so I know next to nothing about it.

When I bring back skulls and horns is there anything in particular I need to do for a Euro mount? I've got a small place so a Euro mount is pretty much my only option.

I want to rug a zebra if I'm successful- is that what is referred to as the "back skin"? Assuming I don't need legs and head for a rug...
    Is there anything to be done with the other skins if I don't want mounted work?

Like I said, I know little to nothing about taxidermy
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The skulls will be sent back boiled and cleaned. You will want check and make sure all meat is removed and the brain matter is gone. If not you can scrape it off, if its really bad you may need to reboil it to get it removed, but they usally come back pretty clean and just need a little touch up. The horns will need to be wire brushed and cleaned then mounted back on the cores. Bondo is good for this. If you want the skull to look solid white just paint it with a can of krylon. If want the skull left looking natural, you can give it a coat of poly or a few coats of modge podge or elmers glue or-or-or. Everybody has a favorite skull treatment. They all look good and will work. They boil the stupid out the skulls over there so degreasing is usally not needed. The horns can be sprayed with furnisher polish to bring the color back in them and it keeps them drying out and cracking. The hide will come back dried hard as a rock. Just send it off to the tannery. I would leave the head on the skin. The stripe patterns on the face are beautiful.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm looking for some information about African trophies. I've never been into taxidermy at all, so I know next to nothing about it.

When I bring back skulls and horns is there anything in particular I need to do for a Euro mount? I've got a small place so a Euro mount is pretty much my only option.

I want to rug a zebra if I'm successful- is that what is referred to as the "back skin"? Assuming I don't need legs and head for a rug...
    Is there anything to be done with the other skins if I don't want mounted work?

Like I said, I know little to nothing about taxidermy
    There is no simple answer to this and so much is dependent upon what country the trophies are coming from and from what species. Sometimes it's extremely complicated. Work through some of the more established taxidermy shops who have experience with this and the various exporters in Africa. There's a whole lot of information re: this on Accurate Reloadings forum. Topics, treads and comments include Africa, trophy/taxidermy, rules and regulations as well as others experience. Do some searching and you might find some of the answers you're looking for.http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve My advice, based on experience, is put some time into figuring this out the best you can prior to your trip or work through your outfitter.

OK,
    Lets back up here.

I import & mount over 50 Safaris per year , Some large some just a couple of animals.

First thing you will have to decide what USDA APROVED Facility you will be using to import your trophies to the USA. This is Absolutely required !

Whether you use there taxidermist services or not.

Next thing is YOU dont have anything to do with the trophies being proccessed in Africa except how you want it skinned & if you will have them mounted over there ( NOT A WISE DECISION !)

ALL meat WILL be removed or the USDA will not let the shipment come into the USA, Even to us that have Aproved Facilities.

You WILL have to have a Wildlife Broker clear your shipment for you. This will cost about $390. Plus USF&W inspection fees & shipping. ( I RECOMEND COPPERSMITH BROKERAGE )

Most shipments run about $ 1500. to 2000. Including shipping.

When your skulls & skins finally get to you from the Aproved Facility, ( UNLESS YOU HAVE THEM DO THEM FOR YOU ), The skulls will mostly be white but several times we have had them come in with Grease & excess Salt on them.

This will have to be taken care of before you can just mount them on your wall.

Plus Most of them will have a heavy insectacide on them. You DO NOT want that in your house around childeren or animals.

A lot of guys like to do the work themselves but RAPIDLY find out that it is more of a headache than they really want to deal with.

Thats why there are EXPERTS that you can relly on to do it for you.

Whether you use My facility or one of the other 2 companies that have the USDA Aproved Facility permits to get your trophies into Alaska , you need to call whom ever youi decide to use Before going to Africa, so you wont get a HUGE suprise when your stuff is finally ready.

Go to my website & you will see that I know exactly what I am talking about, rather than getting Misguided info ( Probably unintentional).

ww.protaxidermy

RJ Simington
    907 322 0936 Fairbanks

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Thanks for the wealth of information on this subject, your expertise and experience are invaluable. The point I was trying to make, perhaps not as well as it could have been made, is that anyone going to Africa should investigate and have a plan for their taxidermy work as there are established rules and regulations that need to be followed. Again, many thanks for saying this much better than I did.

I taught taxidermy classes in South Africa in 2002 & 2004 so I was privy to a LOT of things that most all hunters never see.

If anyone has questions about the procceedures & what is required when hunting out of the USA, just email me or give me a call.

RJ Simington
    907 233 0936

Thanks guys- great info. Like I said, I know next to nothing about taxidermy. I wouldn't dream of doing it myself in a million years.

These hunts are too spendy for me to dork up my own trophy!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit