Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denali Hiway Griz

Default Denali Hiway Griz

2013 Grizzly.jpgI was externally blessed on my last minute grizzly bear hunt and was happy to report over 40 moose(almost all cows with at least one calf) , 100's of caribou, & absolutely beautiful Alaska mountains and weather. I shot this guy @ 100 yards while I was glassing off the Denali hwy. I was perched on a ridge watching the valley below when I turned to see blond out of the corner of my eye. It takes a millisecond for the bear and I to realize what the other was, then it was off to the races to see who could run away or who could jack a round of 325 wsm into his Kimber Montana. My Kimber has never let me down and it didnít today either, it all happened so fast! The boar took off dead run (literally with no lungs leftJ) and piled up 60 yards. Absolutely beautiful blond grizz with ivory claws. I saw 4 griz in a day and half. I saw a 7' sow with an 8' boar right behind her, chasing caribou calves knee height. There were moose & moose calves all around and hopefully I saved a few of em. This crazy day was not over yet when I got home & there was a 6' Grizzly getting into the neighbors garbage 15 feet away as I was showing off my grizz to my friend with his 3 year old daughter and my 4 year old boy. Wow what a sweet start to summer, Best of luck to all bruin chasers! Take care, God Bless, & God Speed after them bruins!

Congrats! Lots of animals thanking u too.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Congrats! But.....................why didn't you shoot the 8' boar instead? Just curious is all.

It sounds like you were in animal shangri-la! Congrats on your bear hunt and thanks for sharing.

Awesome bear!! Thanks for sharing. I wish I was up there now.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

What a great report! Being that he is an interior animal, will you eat any of the meat?

Nice coat, congrats man..thanks for sharing rhe story.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Trust me , I wanted the 8 footer and tried to cut off the mating pair but they were hauling the other way. I got 800 yards away at the closest. I would have taken that big boar no hesitating within 400 yards with the right conditions. unfortunately like they do this time of year, the move fast & was uphill going on a mountainside. I hear'd you could make breakfast sausage out of it so we'll try that and see.

Awesome job man!! I was lucky enough to take a unit 13 grizz as well monday night with a 325 WSM as well....looks like they were clones of each other color wise atleast.

Congrats again....I sure hope we are helping out the moose and caribou calves stand a better fighting chance!!! Thanks for doing your part as well.

Congrat,s on the bears .Those are some nice looking hides.That will save a few calves

Nice bears guys! Thanks for sharing the pics and a story. Good looking bears.

I took a unit 13 grizz in 2002 when I still lived up there.

image.jpg

I will forever remember this hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice job on the grizzles there boys but wait a minute! Back in 05 they told us the 325wsm was just another wiz-bang "tweener" "wanna-be bigbore" that would surely be a passing fad... and then there are those Kimbers..... all you have to do is read the internet and one can find out how bad the actions are and how they don't shoot.... oh wait.... I have something to add...

found this guy headed toward our moose camp one evening. He met up with a Kimber 325 wizbang Good thing he was a little guy or I'd have needed a bigger gun

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Hell Ya!
    "That 325 WSM in not a big bore caliber, is not as popular or has readily available ammo like the 30 Cal which will not catch on, & should not be considering for hunting dangerous game that bites back."

325 Kimber WSM Smacks again, we all are defying the odds. All Nice looking bears! 3 griz w/ 325 wsm on the Denali hiway... coincidence? I think not If we canít take em with the 325 WSM we might as well stay home. The only way Iíd get rid of that 325 wsm is to bury it 6í under with me @ the happy hunting grounds itíll be in my hands on all my hunts. Good Hunting Fellaís.

Quote Originally Posted by doogiehauz View Post
    Hell Ya!
    "That 325 WSM in not a big bore caliber, is not as popular or has readily available ammo like the 30 Cal which will not catch on, & should not be considering for hunting dangerous game that bites back."

325 Kimber WSM Smacks again, we all are defying the odds. All Nice looking bears! 3 griz w/ 325 wsm on the Denali hiway... coincidence? I think not If we canít take em with the 325 WSM we might as well stay home. The only way Iíd get rid of that 325 wsm is to bury it 6í under with me @ the happy hunting grounds itíll be in my hands on all my hunts. Good Hunting Fellaís.
    I think Snyd's was north of fairbanks a few years ago not the Denali, nice looking bear though. Yep really like the 325 WSM....there is another Browning Mnt Ti on gunbroker right now for $1300 that I am trying not to buy for my wife

Ya, we were moose hunting a way off the Steese. We saw no bulls and 3 griz in 5 days. Tried to stalk a good sized one that didn't pan out, this one was walking towards our tent one evening. Glad I saw him when I did, 165yds from the tent and headed our way.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

As most threads on here, this one has taken off on a tangent for the 325 wsm. I have to add my .02. Grandson shot his Kodiak bear last year with the 325 wsm. I shot my moose last fall with the Browning Mountain TI in 325 wsm and shot 2 bears near Dillingham this spring with the same 325 rifle. I really enjoy shooting it. Too bad it is too small and just a fad.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    As most threads on here, this one has taken off on a tangent for the 325 wsm...

Randy
    Are you saying I had an ADD.... I mean AOD moment

I believe their is a forum memer still looking for his 325 WSM, I believe it took a drink in a creek up north and never re surfaced.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast