Thread: How to find black bear in august

Default How to find black bear in august

hey i know that in mid september the bears go crazy for berries hillside but unfortunatley i cant go in september. but i have august off. how exactly can you locate (which types of areas, foods, habits) them and how to increase your odds for success the most in hunting them

Ten-step guide to finding a black bear in August. 1. Fly into Anchorage as late in August as you can. 2. Drive south for an hour to an hour and a half. 3. Stop car, look at mountains with binoculars. 4. Look higher up on the mountain-the black thing way the heck up there is a bear. 5. Start hiking up towards bear, curse yourself for not being in better shape, and curse the bear and the berries for being up so high. 6. If you are in good shape and played the wind, you made it up to the bear. Get closer to bear, which should have his head buried in the berry-patch. 7. Shoot bear, and watch were he rolls to. 8. Walk up to the now expired bear, and realize that he just lost at least 100 pounds during the roll. 9. Skin bear, and put meat and hides into gamebags. 10. Hike back down to car. In all seriousness, it really can be that simple, but oftentimes putting a mile or two between the road and where you are looking can be greatly beneficial, and also more personally rewarding. If you are really in good shape, which means being able to hike a few thousand feet vertically, your goal of a black bear or two is attainable. The hide in late August will be short, but even. I would think if you get enough time on the forum and enough posts, people will send you a few helpful pm's. It will take a bit of planning, but don't get too discouraged, it is fully doable.

Yep..pretty much sums it up.

You could also drive up toward Tok and do the same thing.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

realize that he just lost at least 100 pounds during the roll

Having got my first bear a few weeks ago, I can confirm this. Nobody told me bears shrink by about 50% between the shot and the time you actually walk up to them!
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

shrinkage = real good eating......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Dump one in a creek and it will gain 200lbs from the moment you locate it to the moment you try and drag it out!

ha thanks wykee5 makes my question fully answered. ive just been on this forum a few days and its helpes tons. im feeling pumped now

We call it "letting the air out" of black bears. Funny how they shrink when you poke a hole in them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    We call it "letting the air out" of black bears. Funny how they shrink when you poke a hole in them.
    So true Jake. I have shot two blacks and I am almost getting a reputation as the puny bear hunter. I believe they were talking about the small bears but not sure!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    realize that he just lost at least 100 pounds during the roll.
    100 lbs? I shot my first Black Bear this year and I'm pretty sure he lost around 400lbs.