Thread: CVT or Honda automotive style trans...

Default CVT or Honda automotive style trans...

Anybody have opinions on which is better? I have only ridden CVT quads, no Hondas with the automotive style transmission. Just wondered if maybe the honda is more durable? CVT seems real easy to me though, just change the darn belt if you burn it up, maybe change your clutch for a lil more performance. What do you guys think?

From what I have gathered the Rincon only has three gears and lacks the low end balls most people in the utility market are looking for. I really like the CVT designs on the market. For the most part they are simple and can be easily adjusted to your performance needs via a clutch kit. WIth the Kawi CVT it may not be the most reliable but I have literally DOZENS of different springs and weight combos for just about any type, size, or weight of tire I am looking at. But I replace the $60 belt once a year just to be safe. CVT's with a wet clutch typically have more expensive belts in the $250 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    From what I have gathered the Rincon only has three gears and lacks the low end balls most people in the utility market are looking for. I really like the CVT designs on the market. For the most part they are simple and can be easily adjusted to your performance needs via a clutch kit. WIth the Kawi CVT it may not be the most reliable but I have literally DOZENS of different springs and weight combos for just about any type, size, or weight of tire I am looking at. But I replace the $60 belt once a year just to be safe. CVT's with a wet clutch typically have more expensive belts in the $250 range.
    And,
    I think Honda recommends a two dollar oil change every couple of years. Most can go for four or five years. Gears vs rubber Hmmmm. Some like to tinker with things. Some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    And,
    I think Honda recommends a two dollar oil change every couple of years. Most can go for four or five years. Gears vs rubber Hmmmm. Some like to tinker with things. Some don't.
    Yamahas wet clutch system and belts last for years. No tinkering unless you want to add a clutch kit. While honda is stuck in the past with DRUM brakes that need tinkering and 3 wheel drive on an underpowered machine.
    No contest in my book.