Thread: Valdez Pinks, it's "whats for dinner"

Default Valdez Pinks, it's "whats for dinner"

Freezer is about bare, rivers are muddy, and I'm tired of canned food so I'm desperate for fresh fish and I will eat Pinks. Give a shout when they are hitting in Valdez and I'll do my part in utilizing their flesh.

Technically this should have been in Saltwater forum…but even if they are starting, give a holler

Where are you located? Pinks are fun n all and taste OK fresh but this year reds are doing fantastic and make for much better table fare. Seward in the salt water and the Russian river are producing nicely and within the next few days the Klutina should start to plug up with reds as well.

Also, assuming you are an Alaskan resident, the copper river dipnet fishery should be doing fantastic and if you want to will up the freezer with 25 reds or more depending on the size of your family and potentially a king I would reccomend exploring going that route.

got the resident part covered but didn't get the subsistance permit by the June deadline...next year

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Where are you located? Pinks are fun n all and taste OK fresh but this year reds are doing fantastic and make for much better table fare. Seward in the salt water and the Russian river are producing nicely and within the next few days the Klutina should start to plug up with reds as well.
    The Klutina "plugged up"? lol I would say a few sporadic runs with decent numbers is more like it... just my take fishing it for about 20 years.

curious if there are any reports on Valdez pinks yet? I'm heading there for the 4th and would love to catch a few.

DSCN0411.jpgI caught this hen humpy next to the hatchery today. There was a commercial opener today and a friend plugged is boat twice with pinks.Seiners are doing good.VFDA began ther pink salmon cost recovery on 6-20-13 on 6-28-13 they have harvested 207,000 fish with an average weight of 2.9# and 24% females at Entrance Point.

Quote Originally Posted by pooh View Post
    DSCN0411.jpgI caught this hen humpy next to the hatchery today. There was a commercial opener today and a friend plugged is boat twice with pinks.Seiners are doing good.VFDA began ther pink salmon cost recovery on 6-20-13 on 6-28-13 they have harvested 207,000 fish with an average weight of 2.9# and 24% females at Entrance Point.
    Seems like you figured out the same as I....big ones hang out at the hatchery.

I too don't mind the taste of ocean-fresh pinks (they taste like trout to me) and love slamming them off Allison Point right after low-tide has turned to incoming. The timing varies a bit, but typically within 2 hours after low-tide the fresh ones (I love seeing the sea-lice on their tails) will come barreling in pissed off and hungry. If you fly fish, try throwing some polar shrimp or crystal shrimp in front of a 10ft sinktip with no extra weight while the water is between shin- and thigh-deep. The sinktip will drape across the bed and the fly will tend to float just across the rocky-sandy bottom. Give it some slow and short strips and those hungry pinks will just hammer it again and again. I recommend using a switch or a spey rod if you're doing this if for no other reason than it's easier on your arms while fighting them, because you'll easily catch far more than the folks who are snagging (legally in salt water of course). Last July I was down for three days and caught and released 40+ each day, keeping only the smaller, shiny ones which taste the best.