Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baiting Ediquette Question

Angry Baiting Ediquette Question

I have 2 stands set up this year about 600 yards apart. About a week and a half ago i get pictures of these guys looking at my bait station and staring into the game camera. I notice that just after that the number of hits im getting drops to nothing at one station and becomes very sproadic at the other, I am very careful not to spread my scent around my station and do not explore around my stations while hunting. A hunting partner missed a shot on a bear last night and we went looking for blood or other sign that the bear was hit, I find that someone has placed a stand between my two stands and less than 100 yards from one of them, my stands are very well marked and signs posted all around them on all access points.

It really pissed me off- do i have any legal recourse?

There is no guidance on distance from another station, only a dwelling. So aside from it being a hunter etiquette issue, no legal recourse. You should post pics.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by papabuckshot View Post
    I have 2 stands set up this year about 600 yards apart. About a week and a half ago i get pictures of these guys looking at my bait station and staring into the game camera. I notice that just after that the number of hits im getting drops to nothing at one station and becomes very sproadic at the other, I am very careful not to spread my scent around my station and do not explore around my stations while hunting. A hunting partner missed a shot on a bear last night and we went looking for blood or other sign that the bear was hit, I find that someone has placed a stand between my two stands and less than 100 yards from one of them, my stands are very well marked and signs posted all around them on all access points.

It really pissed me off- do i have any legal recourse?
    If it were me... I would take and post my name and # on the guys stand and ask him to please give you a call. Then obviously explain to the guy that you had clearly marked your spot and that you were there first. Hopefully the guy will realize he made a dumb move in trying to slide into the already posted area.

I would think this route would have a much higher chance of being productive than trying to prove him of being in the wrong to any trooper or anyone else..

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    If it were me... I would take and post my name and # on the guys stand and ask him to please give you a call. Then obviously explain to the guy that you had clearly marked your spot and that you were there first. Hopefully the guy will realize he made a dumb move in trying to slide into the already posted area.

I would think this route would have a much higher chance of being productive than trying to prove him of being in the wrong to any trooper or anyone else..
    I also don't believe a trooper or anyone else would even take the time (or have the time) to even try and handle this type of situation..

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    I also don't believe a trooper or anyone else would even take the time (or have the time) to even try and handle this type of situation..
    There's nothing to handle... The intruder pulled a bonehead move, but nothing illegal.

[QUOTE=Frostbitten;1293891]There's nothing to handle... The intruder pulled a bonehead move, but nothing illegal.[/QUOTE

Maybe nothing to handle by the trooper.. But the OP can still try and do his best to resolve the situation by making contact with the "bonehead".

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

[QUOTE=shimano 33;1293893]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    There's nothing to handle... The intruder pulled a bonehead move, but nothing illegal.[/QUOTE

Maybe nothing to handle by the trooper.. But the OP can still try and do his best to resolve the situation by making contact with the "bonehead".
    True that.

About 5 years ago I was looking for a spot to go. I looked around, picked a spot and set my bait. It got hit then the bears vanished. I saw 4-wheeler tracks so I followed them right to a stand that had been there for a long time. I pulled my stand and went somewhere else. A few years later I teamed up with a guy who had established stands and we went in to set the bait the same day a guy was doing the same but the year before he went around and knew where all of our stands were and knew this particular one was our best one and admitted he went into all of our stations. The guy helping him was all kind of pissed when he heard that was what he had done and helped him remove his stuff yelling at him the whole time. This type of stuff is happening more and more. I would do the phone number suggestion and see what happens.

Can someone help educate an outsider on the written and unwritten rules about bait stations up there? When the OP mentions that he marked his area and someone else reiterated that. How much "area" can a person claim? When marking access points, are these just trails off of a parking area or road?

Quote Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
    How much "area" can a person claim?
    NONE..................You can put a bait station 6" from someone else's station. In fact you can chain your barrel to the exact same tree, and put your tree-stand in the same tree. They can Huff'N-Puff about it, but that is it.

No legal recourse whatsoever, it is legal what the other hunter is doing. Troopers would tell you the same thing as there is no laws broken. Best you can do is get in contact with the other baiter, maybe leave your name and # on his stand.

Maybe the other guy was there first? Hope it all works out nicely.

Baiting is/has become a dog eat dog world. Cutthroat to get the good spot close to the bears and not far from town. I spend a lot of time in the woods between Willow and Talkeetna, any path near the highway is strewn with bait stations. I see a lot of crappy stations, many that don't reflect the rules/regs.

Obviously you have traffic, and likely more than the guy who set station nearby. I'd call it a wash and find a better spot for next year with no traffic.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
    Can someone help educate an outsider on the written and unwritten rules about bait stations up there? When the OP mentions that he marked his area and someone else reiterated that. How much "area" can a person claim? When marking access points, are these just trails off of a parking area or road?
    I think the confusion is that there is a difference betweeen "marking" an area/stand and "claiming" an area/stand. Bear baiters are required to mark their bait sites for a few reasons, including to have identifying information for authorities but also to make it obvious to other people out in the woods that there is a bait site there and likely bears coming to that location for bait (safety concerns). Marking the site isn't claiming an area as your own and nobody else is allowed in there, just saying that you are there.

Most ethical hunters would give another bait site some room rather than go sit on his front porch and mooch off his work. Lazy hunters would just set up right on top of him and shoot the bears that he has started to bring in already.

While there is no legal stipulation as to proximity between bait stations or tree stands, similar to how there is nothing to say you can't go set up your hunting camp right around the same campfire that someone else is already at, there is just the hunter's ethics that would generally say to give others some room. If they were there first, then maybe go a little ways away rather than crowd right on top of them.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I think the confusion is that there is a difference betweeen "marking" an area/stand and "claiming" an area/stand. Bear baiters are required to mark their bait sites for a few reasons, including to have identifying information for authorities but also to make it obvious to other people out in the woods that there is a bait site there and likely bears coming to that location for bait (safety concerns). Marking the site isn't claiming an area as your own and nobody else is allowed in there, just saying that you are there.

Most ethical hunters would give another bait site some room rather than go sit on his front porch and mooch off his work. Lazy hunters would just set up right on top of him and shoot the bears that he has started to bring in already.

While there is no legal stipulation as to proximity between bait stations or tree stands, similar to how there is nothing to say you can't go set up your hunting camp right around the same campfire that someone else is already at, there is just the hunter's ethics that would generally say to give others some room. If they were there first, then maybe go a little ways away rather than crowd right on top of them.

For the record...........I have visited a fair amount of Bait Stations......and only "ONE" had any notice/warning (Only One). What baiters call "Marking" is posting a copy of their permit.

WHAT is the proper "ETHICAL" distance.....??? The OP claims the new guy is 1/6 of a "MILE" from either of his stations. So what is the proper spacing.......20 miles.....1 mile.......1/2 mile.......What.....???

This will get you-all going.......why bother with a bait station.......???? Just find the stations and use a electronic predator caller. That way they can't snivel about you being too close.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    WHAT is the proper "ETHICAL" distance.....??? The OP claims the new guy is 1/6 of a "MILE" from either of his stations. So what is the proper spacing.......20 miles.....1 mile.......1/2 mile.......What.....???
    Actually, he said it was less than 100 yards from one of his stations.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Actually, he said it was less than 100 yards from one of his stations.

Well then that makes it 500 yards from his other station, which is well over a 1/4 mile.

Regrettably, incidents like this can only be fixed with additional regulatory restrictions. This is what happens when common courtesy is not so common. Honest mistakes are one thing, but when the action is deliberate, you have to look to force through additional restrictions.

Until that happens, you have to find another spot and let the chuckleheads have at the old one...

Same goes for anyone who would deliberately hunt near a bait station, even though they are not baiting.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Two questions...

1.. how long have you baited that site?

2... did you make sure HE was not there first?

Edit.....

okay 3... questions

Why the hell would you have two baits 600 yards apart? your cutting YOUR own throat thats a 3 minute jaunt for a bear.. your on one.. hes on the other.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good reason to just make the long haul in... and set up your spot where most people won't want to make the long trek in.

I'm 3 miles in and on the other side of a nasty swamp.. it is a pain to get to, but also peaceful once there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast