Thread: My son's first trip for reds: Suggestions please

Default My son's first trip for reds: Suggestions please

I'm hoping to take my son and his neighbor friend out for some reds, I have a few concerns though.

Foremost, I'm no red slayer and am limited in knowledge outside of my Russian trips below the sanctuary. I believe the neighbor would be more agreeable to a long day trip as opposed to an overnighter and if possible I'd like to keep the hiking to and fro under 4 miles or so.

Can I find some space for the kiddos within that range by just hiking further down from the ferry? I'd love some suggestions so I can get a plan worked up and take a day off with the boys.

The Eyak is fishing great!
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

If I where you I'd go the other direction and hike up the Russian, you can easily keep the trip within your stated mileage, and have better conditions and less people to deal with.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Take a look at coming on down to the Gulkana in July. Lots of fish and few fisherman. The Gulkana is best fished from a raft due to the limited access.

walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

Id hike up the river. its pretty easy going and the crowds taper off the higher up you get