Thread: Chinook Salmon Casting Rods for Bar Fishing

Default Chinook Salmon Casting Rods for Bar Fishing

I've been bar fishing the Skeena River in BC. We still fish with rods in holders running a spin-n-glo and 12 oz lead. I am looking for some new rods for my family. I have these old 10 foot Garcia Workhorse rods and they are awesome rods. I also have some 10 foot MH Ugly Sticks but they don't have finger grips and can be a little tough for my daughters to hang on.

Any suggestions for the ultimate casting rod? I have been warned to not use rods with too high of graphite content as the 40-60 lbers can be a little hard on them and I sure don't want my family loosing a fish because a rod snapped!!!

Lamiglas Kenai Special is a great rod! I have two, love them to death. Landed some 35+ pound kings with them in some very fast water, they've held up great. Little spendy though...
    Ryan from Wasilla

Graphite rods normally break from being mistreated or overfished, not because they are graphite. I have a Graphite rod built on a Pac-Bay blank that I have fished for years without incident. That being said I don't think I have ever run over 30# test on it. I have been able to land fish in the 30 40# range without any problems. If your daughters are still young find them an Ugly Stick that fits them. They are great rods to learn to fish with. Tougher than hell, and nobody will argue their ability to put fish on the bank.

Sheesh, I have always used cheep rods. One of the rods I used for almost 10 years was a $20 "Mr Bigfish" from Walmart I bought years ago. Landed plenty of 35+ kings on that rod with 20 lb test line. Never forget one year I put 15 lb test on (thinking it was 20, should have checked first hu) on my Mr Bigfish lol, and hooked and landed a nice 44 lb king. Took me over 30 minutes to get her in too, faught like mad.

I think some times people get so wrapped up in using expensive equipment they thing they need top of the line gear. I have always used cheap poles and mostly with either 20 lb test mono or 50 lb test braided. I have never spent more than $80 on a pole and never had a pole snap either. I remember when I was about 18 I watched a guy and his son walk down to the mouth of sheep creek with two poles that were no more than maybe 5-6 feet and obviously something most people would use for trout not Kings. I watched the man land a 56 lb king with his and then his son who was no more than 12 land a 50 lb king on his little pole as well. I know the weight as one man on the bank had a scale and just had to weight those fish as he was so shocked the size of fish landed on such a small pole.

Love my lamiglas red rod. It's short and plenty of power, last year on fathers day weekend it was catch and release fishing at sheep creek for kings I caught 4 kings that were well over 40lbs. one was pushing 70,what a ride he took me on he took 27lbs of drag like it wasn't their.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
    ...and 12 oz lead....
    Hucking 12 oz of lead any distance would eliminate anything we call a "salmon" rod from my list, much less the 10' length while doing it. My heaviest chinook rod is only rated for 8 oz of lead, and I've tried hucking more. Not.

In your shoes I'd be looking at some of the surf casting sites for recommendations. Not so much on the West Coast, but back East the guys are regularly lofting 12 oz and more for stripers. If there was no problem with space for landing fish, I'd even look at longer rods on the order of 12', maybe more. There are bonus points for casting heavy weights with longer rods, as well as for fighting really big fish- just a lot more rod length to absorb shock, whether the sudden load of casting or a quick rush from a big fish. Here is a sampling from just one source, but there are a bunch of them around. I note that a few have trigger grips.

I'm not casting lead all day long, the idea is just to huck it in the river once per hour. We are still fishing and I have cast many peoples rods for them as a favour fromn funny things like a 7 foot ugly stick to a goofy little halibut stick that I couldn't even call a rod! all with 8 to 18 oz of lead, depending upon how heavy the current is. Too light a lead and the rig tumbles into shore so I've been going stupid heavy sometimes to get it in the river and hold it out there a ways.

How do you guys all fish the Kenai River for chinook? from shore without boats? and similar massive water.

I bar fish because my friend that takes me there tells me to do it that way. We boat onto an island with our families and set up for still fishing .

What would you do instead?

My advice to you is to consider a change in sinker styles.
    If you could tell us what style sinker you are using we could make a recommendation on what sinker to try.
    I can tell you from my surfcasting experience(limited as it is) that changing sinker styles can make all the difference.
    While I have had trouble with say an 8oz sinker of one style holding another style will hold better even though it may be only 6oz.
    If you are looking to hold bottom in current I might suggest a storm sinker or maybe even a frog tongue sinker. Booth are designed for surfcast fishing in heavier currents.
    If you can't find some of those sinkers to try let me know as I own the molds to make these and several other sinker styles and I could send some to you.
    If you can get by with a smaller sinker and still get the job done then it opens up more rods options for sure.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I used to use pyramids but they tumbled way too much, then switched to flat tapered bars. The last few times we went, the river was roaring high and barely fishable so that didnt help.

It seems often that unless the run is heavy that we are missing fish by not having our gear far enough out. Most people dont try to fish as far out as I attempt to, so they are holding their rigs with less weight. Most people huck their rigs in with a short pitch and they likely tumble very little due to mild current.

So ya, I'll have to try your suggestion with different weight. I'll have to see what the tackle shop has when I get there. But a very, very long drive! Maybe i should just order from you, so i have what i need. Do the flat rate boxes work for Alaska too? I have a USA address you could ship to.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
    I used to use pyramids but they tumbled way too much, then switched to flat tapered bars. The last few times we went, the river was roaring high and barely fishable so that didnt help.

It seems often that unless the run is heavy that we are missing fish by not having our gear far enough out. Most people dont try to fish as far out as I attempt to, so they are holding their rigs with less weight. Most people huck their rigs in with a short pitch and they likely tumble very little due to mild current.

So ya, I'll have to try your suggestion with different weight. I'll have to see what the tackle shop has when I get there. But a very, very long drive! Maybe i should just order from you, so i have what i need. Do the flat rate boxes work for Alaska too? I have a USA address you could ship to.
    Flat rate works anywhere in the USA including Alaska. I don't believe Canada counts though.
    Different sinkers for different conditions definetly holds true.
    If you cant find sinkers to try in your area I can ship you some. $6 anywhere in the USA for the small flat rate box. Quite a few sinkers will fit in that size box.

How heavy of weights do you recommend? In heavy current? How heavy do you make them? How much? I am close to the US border and have stuff shipped to a USA address all the time.

I would start with say 4 oz and work my way up from there. If I had to go over 8oz then I would try a different style sinker. Or you could spend an hour or so trying all the different sinkers and seeing which holds best with your setups.
    Each river is different with a different bottom composition so I really couldn't say what style would work best in the Skeena.
    In a storm sinker I make them from 2oz to 8oz in the hilts claw sinker mold I also make them up to 8 oz.
    The frog tongue mold I bought makes sinkers in 4,5,6,7,8,10,and 12 oz
    I.ll send you a PM on sending sinkers to you.

Your asking questions about a method I've never seen utilized in Alaska, I'd suggest trying to find a forum the Columbia river guys use, they are bank fishing for kings like you are.

I never got that last message, I would like a box of sinkers. I'm leaving in 3 weeks. Please PM me and let me know how to order or your phone number. I got your prices but no contact info.

Thanks

I'll send you another PM Bob.
    I do see the point that Limon32 makes. Lots of good king fishermen here but there probably is a forum somewhere with fishermen trying the same techniques in similar rivers.
    I did try switching weights the other day while surf casting. I had on a 5 oz storm sinker and it was holding well. I switched to a 5 oz bulldozer sinker just to see how it held. It didn't hold at all. So I switched back and again the storm sinker held well.
    As the tide neared high tide I had trouble holding with the 5 oz storm sinker. I upsized to a 6 oz storm sinker and again it held well.
    Had there been less current, less surf(it was very windy out) or a different bottom type a different type sinker may have been better and I may have gotten by with even less weight.