Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut locations out of Homer for small boat fishing

Default Halibut locations out of Homer for small boat fishing

Hello, My wife (68) and I (70) are spending the month of June in Homer and have been trying to catch some Halibut. We have a 19 and 1/2 foot StarCraft open boat and have caught a couple of small halibuts close to Halibut Cove. Unfortunately the fishing has turned cold the last couple of days and the wind and waves beat us up pretty well when we return to the harbor. Our boat is more suitable for the lakes in Ohio than the waters up here. Can anyone suggest any other locations. Is Peterson cove any good? How about Tutka Bay or the Cove before it? Any place else we could go safely? Thanks....sailcal

All of those places leave you at the mercy of the 3 mile crossing coming back. Not saying don't go, just saying keep that in mind.

That out of the way, forget the coves and start trolling 70' of water west and north of the green can. We used to pick up 10lb. halibut like that in a 16' Klamath. Never anything bigger but lots that size. Fish early and late and you should have a little better water.

i have heard of folks catching fish behind the spit, sort of where the big boats anchor. worth a try, certainly protected.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Lets not fogret the monster that was caught next to the bouys at the end of the spit while the operator was changing his fuel filter...
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

My friends always fish ~1/2 mile out from the old chip dock.
    They don't always limit out and they cxatch a lot of other species. They don't use much gas or get out where their 18' crestliner can't safely go.
    Main street hole directly in front of main street is another spot that holds a few Halibut sometimes.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i have heard of folks catching fish behind the spit, sort of where the big boats anchor. worth a try, certainly protected.
    Dave is right. You can pick up some decent halibut out there even between tides. Generally it is a good bet when the bay is rough and you don't want to beat yourself up on the way back. We have caught some in the 15-50 lb. range out by the barges.
    Assuming the wind is right, you can keep on going down the line toward McNeil Canyon and pick fish all along the way...
    BUT...
    watch your depth and be aware that there are some boulders.

I have fished Homer with a small boat, last year we caught some Halibut in Tutka, we were staying at the State Cabin and it was blowing too hard to go out very far, they were small but keepers nonetheless, we did the best on a outgoing tide, right smack in the middle, under the power lines if I remember right..... We tried it again the next day w/no luck.....but the tide was slack or coming in......

also have done ok right in front of Sledovia, in 120 feet of water, just before it gets deep........actually caught a 50 pounder right there a couple years back.....

Hope that helps and maybe someone will clue me on where and how in Valdez, just got back from a weeks trip and we got skunked.....same boat so we are limited, fished Galena and straight across from Galena, both side of Galena,, entrance to Sawmil, and around Jacks some. Mostly did what we do In Homer but thinking the Valdez Buts are pickier.....it was HOT the whole time and maybe they are deep or just not in that close this time of year.....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Seldova Humps Watch the weather. Fish early and late.If the wind comes up ( and it will every afternoon) just run into seldova.You could do like I did, Take the wife out in a skiff and scare the hell out of her, then she will be very agreeable about buying a bigger boat.
    Good luck
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

Send me a PM my friend and I'll give you some GPS spots.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    My friends always fish ~1/2 mile out from the old chip dock.
    They don't always limit out and they cxatch a lot of other species. They don't use much gas or get out where their 18' crestliner can't safely go.
    Main street hole directly in front of main street is another spot that holds a few Halibut sometimes.
    I have a small boat as well. I was looking at the charts and it looks like the water is about 70 feet deep about 2.5 miles offshore when lined up with Main Street. Is that about the right area, or should I be closer to shore?

Head back behind the spit a few miles and do like people say and find a good underground formation or hill and fish the bottom and the top of the hills. There are halibut all over that get overlooked even close to shore. Biggest thing I have learned is ANCHOR, ANCHOR, ANCHOR it helps contrary to some peoples opinion, getting the scent out there is necessary IMHO. Drifting works as well but usually when there is a lot of fish and those holes are further out. Fishing the unknown holes is more fun in my opinion due to the what if factor. Compass Rose, seldovia humps, flat island and pogy point all have decent chicken patches but that is just what your going to catch 10 lb chickens and after hours of catch and release maybe a 25lber. Explore around back there and find something you can go back to later.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarth View Post
    I have a small boat as well. I was looking at the charts and it looks like the water is about 70 feet deep about 2.5 miles offshore when lined up with Main Street. Is that about the right area, or should I be closer to shore?
    My friends like 35' but I think anywhere between the 35" and 70' should get you some fish if you are anchored and once your scent gets out there.
    I would also make a chum bag or chum bomb to help get a big scent field out there.
    Don't forget to bring some jigs to try as well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I tried to head out to the Main St. area last night but decided to turn around. The wind picked up and combined with some pretty good sized rollers which were too much for my comfort.... I tried two spots near the mooring buoys but didn't have any luck. I noticed several other boats that were similar size to mine fishing the same area, but I couldn't tell if they were having any success. I plan to try for Main St. again this evening.

When we want a halibut for dinner I usually head straight out from the ice rink until it drops off a bit, then put a downrigger just over the bottom. As soon as I start getting hits I stop and jig until I get a fish big enough to feed 3. Almost always a few 10 pounders around there. Not a bad spot to look for silvers in August either

Just wanted to give a quick update. I still haven't been out to the Main St. Hole area, but I did try the trolling as HomerDave suggested. I'm not familiar with using downriggers yet. Thursday night was my first solo attempt. The water was great and we did have fun, but I'm pretty certain that I didn't setup correctly. As a result, I wasn't successful trolling. I think I've got it sorted out for my next attempt...

On a side note, we jumped over to Peterson Pt. area and pulled in some huge cod. Unfortunately, no halibut . I was only able to go out for a few hours. If we would have stayed in that area, I think we would've had a decent shot at pulling some halibut....

@sailcal: I hope your okay, with me sorta hijacking.... I didn't want to start another post since yours pretty much nailed what I was looking for...

Downrigger over bottom till they bite?? Huh? What does that mean?

You can hit the point off of bear island and have the option of ducking into the cove for the bay breeze and do some salmon fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJack View Post
    Downrigger over bottom till they bite?? Huh? What does that mean?
    What i mean is I put a spoon or hoochie behind a flasher, find level bottom just beyond the dropoff and then lower my downrigger until it hits bottom and then bring it up a couple cranks.
    Then troll until I get hits....

Thanks for explanation Dave.

How close are Kelp beds (towards Anchor Point) from Homer? Now that tractor launch's are closed I need to find some new spots for Sept.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast