Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Transient Slips

Default Seward Transient Slips

Has anyone ever gort a transient slip in Seward for an extended time? Say a month. We are thinking about doing it next month and after talking to the harbormaster, I'm not too sure it's all that convienient. She said I'd have to raft up to a max of two other boats and move myself in and out eachtime I come or go. Sometimes I'd be on the outside and other in between. I guess there are no procedures to have your boat moved for you and it's up to you to tie up the other boats after you moved.
    The other option is to be put in an empty slip while the renter is gone, but I'd be given 24 hours to move it if they come back. Or they charge me $100 to move it for me.
    So, is all this info correct and is it really worth the hassle or should I just park the boat at Stormchasers or another yard and launch each time. It would still save me a bunch in fuel each way by not towing the boat.
    Ideas????

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

do it all the time during the summer..have stayed there for a couple of weeks with no issues in the trasient parking near the ramp across the street from the Fishhouse and harbormasters office. They send a guy down every evening or early morning that will put your boat reg number in the system. They will either send you a bill or you can pay before you leave. Never been an issue, cheaper than any hotel and have showers and everything right in walking distance. Plus the family just loves the atmosphere in the marina.

I also store it at stormchasers sonetimes for a month or so. Nice enough place and rates are good.

think we pay 25 for a night in the marina..so worth it to us.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

We have good luck sometimes and others it's a pain. For what you pay you might as well pull it and park it. It is first come first serve so expect hassles on Saturday and Sunday nights when you come in. However, you have Thumb Cove, Sunny Cove, Driftwood Bay, Agnes Cove, and others further out if you just want to stay out a couple days and transient park during the week when refueling and such. PM me if you need my number and we can discuss.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I park my boat at stormchasers. Saves me alot of money in fuel. you cant beat the price. $35 a month come and go as you please. no questions asked.

I got a slip for this month, ill see how it works out. It sure is nice to drive down and just walk out to the boat rather than launching it. $35 a month at storm chasers, ill be looking it to that more. Who do you contact there? or just call? Any problems with theft at all?

Just call? I havent had problems with theft. Someones there 24 hours but whether there watching the yard is a different story. Triple check to make sure your boat is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    I got a slip for this month, ill see how it works out. It sure is nice to drive down and just walk out to the boat rather than launching it. $35 a month at storm chasers, ill be looking it to that more. Who do you contact there? or just call? Any problems with theft at all?
    Andy, did you get a permenant slip or is it someone elses that might come back one day and you will have 24 hours to move your boat? It was all pretty confusing over the phone with her today.
    MMSI# 338232859

We were thinking about doing this so we could fish every weekend of July and not have to trailer the boat back and forth. and launch each trip. It's looking like StormChasers is the way to go.

Someone convince me to leave it in the water.......
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    We were thinking about doing this so we could fish every weekend of July and not have to trailer the boat back and forth. and launch each trip. It's looking like StormChasers is the way to go.

Someone convince me to leave it in the water.......
    Considering the time of year and the lack of skills at the harbor masters office I will vote to pull it. They charge monthly transient to people constantly even when there is absolutely nowhere to park. And, they don't give you much time to move if you are in someones slip, certainly not 24 hours...more like right now or be towed at your expense...it's bs. We deal with this every weekend with the Viking...rarely have shore power available and not willing to put a $90,000 paint job up against a tug or something and then have to leave work to scramble down and move cause someone wants out. In the slower times it's fine but I don't think you will see the advantage if you are just weekending down there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Well then. Looks like I'll be parking on dry ground and play the overnight transient slip thing day by day. I'd get a permenant slip there if PWS wasn't so great once you left the harbor.
    MMSI# 338232859

[QUOTE=AK2AZ; We deal with this every weekend with the Viking...rarely have shore power available and not willing to put a $90,000 paint job up against a tug[QUOTE]

Holy cow. $90K?
    MMSI# 338232859

[QUOTE=Rob B;1293514]
    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ; We deal with this every weekend with the Viking...rarely have shore power available and not willing to put a $90,000 paint job up against a tug[QUOTE

Holy cow. $90K?
    LOL, I thought it was silly too but it does stand out compared to the other 2 and it is much easier to take care of the Awlgrip over the gelcoat routine. You only have to wash it once to understand! Last time I washed it thoroughly it took about 14 hours. After the initial season wash it can be done with a trucker brush in the right hands in half an hour.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Just a transient slip, so yeah I'm subject to the 24 hour notice. I was told should be fine and it's rare to have to move but they had to warn me about it. I did go in person so it made it a bit easier!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Just a transient slip, so yeah I'm subject to the 24 hour notice. I was told should be fine and it's rare to have to move but they had to warn me about it. I did go in person so it made it a bit easier!
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see what they say in a few weeks. I might have a hookup in Seward that would move it for me if I can't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    MMSI# 338232859

Yes, good luck remember it goes off calendar month for a slip.

can't get tied up wrong, bashed into or sink on the trailer !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    can't get tied up wrong, bashed into or sink on the trailer !!
    I'm thinking the same thing Steve.
    MMSI# 338232859

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Has anyone ever gort a transient slip in Seward for an extended time? Say a month. We are thinking about doing it next month and after talking to the harbormaster, I'm not too sure it's all that convienient. She said I'd have to raft up to a max of two other boats and move myself in and out eachtime I come or go. Sometimes I'd be on the outside and other in between. I guess there are no procedures to have your boat moved for you and it's up to you to tie up the other boats after you moved.
    The other option is to be put in an empty slip while the renter is gone, but I'd be given 24 hours to move it if they come back. Or they charge me $100 to move it for me.
    So, is all this info correct and is it really worth the hassle or should I just park the boat at Stormchasers or another yard and launch each time. It would still save me a bunch in fuel each way by not towing the boat.
    Ideas????

Rob
    I used to use the transient slips in Seward. Most of the time I was in someone's long term leased slip. Only had to move my boat once. That was over two full seasons, June thru August. They will also charge a monthly rate for each calendar month you're in the slip. Much cheaper than the daily rate. Had one issue about the rates. i wrote the city manager and got a refund in the mail. I thought it was a good arrangement and people were easy to deal with. Now I have a long term lease. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info. My buddy talked to them today and it looks like it would be pretty easy to keep the same slip for next month. I thinkI'll give that a try now.
    MMSI# 338232859

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

There are actually quite a few people that only use their slips when the silvers are running, early
    August through September.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast