Thread: Liner socks

Question Liner socks

During the course of preparing for hunt my Alaska I have been breaking in my new boots, building fitness and testing some of the gear I have.

Up till now I have been using a liner sock and smartwool light hikers, but I have doubts about the warmth factor.

Is it necessary to wear a liner sock if wearing two pair of light hiker smartwool. I didn't think so but, I thought I would put it to the mass

What ever wicks the moisture away from your feet the best and keeps you from getting blisters. I wear fairly thick merino wools socks and a thin pair socks over them. It just works for me, my feet and with my boots and the way they fit.

Default Fox River Xstatic liners

I'm sold on wearing Fox River X-static sock liners under a good quality sock such as smartwool or lorpen.

I wear this set up year round and have found it to be very effective. I'm not a rep and certainly not an expert so I'll try to describe this in my layman's terms...

The sock liner combats odor and bacteria growth. I've found dramatic difference in foot odor on a multi day trip. No scientific testing here it's just obvious when sharing a 5lb two man tent w/ your partner.

The liner sock has a particluar weave. The outside of the sock is REAL slick in the boot and takes all the chaffing and rubbing which combats hot spots and blisters - While the inside of the sock actaully grips the foot. I learned the hard way that wearing them inside out creates hot spots real fast. It was dark, cold and early morning.. I did'nt realize the sock was inside out... I put it on and with in 10 minutes had to stop and check it out... That's when I learned the above....

They wick great and are very durable.

I have been wearing a wig wam liner sock when training with a smartwool light hiker sock over it, seems to work.

Do we think 1 pair of light hiker smartwool's is going to warm enough in the wood river catchment in Sept. It will be a horseback hunt, I don't know how much walking to be done. A good bit I would think
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default Two pairs of socks, one heavy wool

As you know most people find their feet will do better if they wear two pairs of socks. A common combination is a wool sock over a liner sock.

For colder weather, it is vital that your boot/sock combination does not fit too tightly. If it's too snug your circulation will be cut off and your feet will get cold. Personally, for cooler temps with hunting boots in Alaska, I like a boot that fits well over two pairs of heavy Smartwool socks. For warmer weather hiking or backpacking, I like liner socks under one pair of mid or heavy weight Smartwool socks.

As long as they are warm enough, your feet should do fine with two pair of light Smartwool socks with no liner. I'd go with a heavier sock if it doesn't get too tight. As for your feet being warm enough, it depends on the weather, your boots, how much sitting or riding you do, and how warm/cold your feet tend to be in cold weather.