Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hourly shop rate

Default Hourly shop rate

Anyone know what the average hourly shop rate is at the boat shops in Anchorage?

I would guess $90-$110 per hour.

I know exactly how much it is..... $120 at Dewey's
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

too much !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Cheapest I have seen is 90 most is 120 or so. Pretty freaking ridiculous.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks guys, I have a weekend neighbor out on the creek who let his sea ark sink so I have to flush the everything out and haven't took anything to a shop in years. Didn't want to overcharge the guy and more importantly I didn't want to shortchange myself!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Thanks guys, I have a weekend neighbor out on the creek who let his sea ark sink so I have to flush the everything out and haven't took anything to a shop in years. Didn't want to overcharge the guy and more importantly I didn't want to shortchange myself!
    The neighborly thing to do is get it running and in return some rum and a "Thanks a lot I owe ya" should work. If ya gotta charge the guy then leave it at the reasonable rate of $50 an hour. He is your neigbour and might be able to help you in the future.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

It may have worked that way 50 years ago, it sure does not work that way anymore.

It does in my neighborhood!
    We help each other out without expectation of compensation.

BK

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    The neighborly thing to do is get it running and in return some rum and a "Thanks a lot I owe ya" should work. If ya gotta charge the guy then leave it at the reasonable rate of $50 an hour. He is your neigbour and might be able to help you in the future.
    Ok, that's a cheap shot Alaskabliss. he is a weekend neighbor and you know I do a lot for people here as it is. I work for many of the weekenders building for them, hauling for them, odd jobs galore (reason I haven't flown in a month). If anything I am saving him money as it is, as he would have to pay me to haul it Anchorage so Deweys can fix it for $120 an hour. Or should I tell him you'll haul it for free? I have to make a living to and until you tell your boss on the slope that you'll do it for some rum and a thank you I'll expect you to afford me my living too. Besides the guy is a well known developer in Anchorage and I would expect he is expecting to pay the going price for the service. And besides, everyone that says they are going to bring me rum never does anyway, EXCEPT for the weekenders that I am always giving advice and help too because they appreciate someone in the know!

I dont see anything wrong with alexander charging the guy to fix his motor. As alexander stated the guy doesnt have to get it back into to town. Now if the guy just wanted alexander some tips or something like that and he was going to fix his own motor thats different and Im sure alexander would help him without a problem. Anytime Ive had a questing and sent alexander a pm he has been nothing but helpful.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I think you and Bliss have a different definition of "neighbor". I think his is the guy that lives next door and he sees everyday in his yard. Yours is someone who lives occasionally in the same general area who asked you to fix his boat, or you offered to fix his boat for $$. Its a simple mix up, no reason to call him out from some confusion.

In general my experience has been that the farther you are from town the more expensive the fix would be. Figure up what you could be doing with the time you will be working on his boat and charge a price that makes you willing to forgo that activity.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

bkmail, I spend a lot of time picking up neighbors from planes to get to their cabins, loaning tools, four wheelers etc, getting all the so called river runners unstuck, coordinating and helping charter services like Trail Ridge Air when the water is low and such. I am the guy on the creek that everyone comes to, to help figure out logistics on different problems or projects such as getting a backhoe or some other piece of equipment to and fro. There isn't a weekend in the summer where at least four or five weekenders don't call and ask if we need anything before they fly out. You know why, because they appreciate all the things my partner and I do for everyone. If I do a job that takes up my valuable time that otherwise someone else would be paid a $100 dollars an hour for in town then I should expect the same compensation. After all the man with the Sea Ark did request that if I could take the time to fix it he would rather pay me than take it to town. He knows that I am a busy man and expects to pay. This is the part I hate about this forum, you and the other arm chair Quarterbacks cant wait to read something and put your two cents in so everyone knows how smart you all are. There are several members of this forum who know me and how helpful I am.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I think you and Bliss have a different definition of "neighbor". I think his is the guy that lives next door and he sees everyday in his yard. Yours is someone who lives occasionally in the same general area who asked you to fix his boat, or you offered to fix his boat for $$. Its a simple mix up, no reason to call him out from some confusion.

In general my experience has been that the farther you are from town the more expensive the fix would be. Figure up what you could be doing with the time you will be working on his boat and charge a price that makes you willing to forgo that activity.
    Alaska Bliss knows me very well and he is just trying to get under my skin, ie: he is messing with me like always. I will get even the day he gets that Thunderjet stuck behind my house. Maybe I'll grab a lawn chair and watch until he gets her close to unstuck! I live here year round and know full well how it works in the bush. My time is as valuable to me and my neighbors appreciate me very much. If akbliss would spend more than one night out here a summer and share his d### Rum every once and awhile he would know that!

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I dont see anything wrong with alexander charging the guy to fix his motor. As alexander stated the guy doesnt have to get it back into to town. Now if the guy just wanted alexander some tips or something like that and he was going to fix his own motor thats different and Im sure alexander would help him without a problem. Anytime Ive had a questing and sent alexander a pm he has been nothing but helpful.
    Dang skybust, I knew I forgot something! There is a fee for my advise, that fee is the satisfaction that I helped some one out with something! The same goes the other way for me when someone helps me out! Thanks!

Ok guys, I have to go out and make a $100 an hour and get something accomplished. All your arm chair quaterbacks can have sometime to think about what you know and I'll get back with you later!

Double that being off the road system.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

First off I didn't mean to get under anyones skin. We all admit that the current price for a mechanic is a joke and is pratically theft. My point was why transfer that to a "neighbor". Instead ask for a fair amount...
    Second, Don't hold your breath in anticipation of me getting stuck...
    Third, I HAD a bottle of rum to share but you decided not to come over and help with it. I should be mad at you for it since I had to drink it all and not feel the best the next morning.
    If he needs it hauled out I have no problem bringing it out with me he can pick it up at the house. He is your neighbor, therfore I will do what I can to help. If ya need Mike, When I get home I can run out and fix it for ya so you can keep making the $100 an hour. I would flood the motor with diesel to push the water out and keep the cylinders from rusting till I get there... Need me to bring you some rum too? Just let me know Buddy
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Alexander,
    My comment was directed at McGyver, NOT you Alexander. You run a business, I understand, just like my friend Larry Heater. I use him for a day and pay him what he wants. My bad for not clarifying that.
    However, I help my neighbors out on the river all the time. I haul freight for them, groceries, fuel, etc...and they have hauled me out when my boat broke down, they keep an eye on my place when I'm gone, and so on.
    It's how we do it on the deshka....but I have a full time job that puts food on my table. The rest is just for fun!
    Settle down and enjoy the weather....I'm not your armchair quarterback 'ol boy!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    bkmail, I spend a lot of time picking up neighbors from planes to get to their cabins, loaning tools, four wheelers etc, getting all the so called river runners unstuck, coordinating and helping charter services like Trail Ridge Air when the water is low and such. I am the guy on the creek that everyone comes to, to help figure out logistics on different problems or projects such as getting a backhoe or some other piece of equipment to and fro. There isn't a weekend in the summer where at least four or five weekenders don't call and ask if we need anything before they fly out. You know why, because they appreciate all the things my partner and I do for everyone. If I do a job that takes up my valuable time that otherwise someone else would be paid a $100 dollars an hour for in town then I should expect the same compensation. After all the man with the Sea Ark did request that if I could take the time to fix it he would rather pay me than take it to town. He knows that I am a busy man and expects to pay. This is the part I hate about this forum, you and the other arm chair Quarterbacks cant wait to read something and put your two cents in so everyone knows how smart you all are. There are several members of this forum who know me and how helpful I am.

Sorry bkmail, I suppose I read you wrong. Your right I run a business and the person with the Sea Ark in question is as I said a neighbor but only a summer time neighbor who expects to pay the price for my work. They tied their boat to the second tier of the retaining wall in high water with out putting out a back anchor and you guessed it, the down stream current and the lowering water caused the boat to tip over on the first wall when the water went down 2 ft. Of course they didn't tell any one for a while and then when the water dropped enough for the motor to be out of the water it was nearly a week before they called me so we will see what kind of shape it is in. And like you I understand what it is like to be out here. I do a lot for others with out asking for anything in return and you are right, I earn my living out here so when it comes to business I charge the going rate. Larry Heater or Ron VanWavern would do exactly the same! It's called Capitalism!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast