Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Alaska (fairbanks)

Default New to Alaska (fairbanks)

Hello, I am military and will be moving to to fairbanks next month. I am lucky enough to have some friends up their and found a place to rent right on the chena river. I am an avid hunter/fisher and look forward to my next few years in Alaska. One question I have asked but no one can seem to answer, is it legal to hunt within North Pole city limits? Is it bow only within the city or could I shoot squirrelt/small game in the woods around my home. I am excited to become an Alaskan. If anyone is looking for a hunting partner for this next season just message me!

Just don't shoot any deer in North Pole....would break too many hearts.

You could look up both the ADF&G hunting regs (small game for what you mentioned) and the North Pole laws to see what they say. Two phone calls would also answer your questions, one to ADF&G in Fairbanks and another to the North Pole Police Department. Just ask first what the restrictions are regarding discharging firearms and what the boundaries are and then what the hunting regs are for the area.

Unless city limits have expanded the past year there are no Chena riverfront properties in North Pole. There is a small section that are on the Badger Slough that fall into the limits but not the Chena. If you are in city limits you cannot discharge a firearm within city limits if you are outside the city you are good to go. Not much around you would want to hunt in your yard. You will have moose come through at some point but the odds of it happening during an open season and being legal (bull) is unlikely. In the winter I have had fox and lynx in my yard but never shot any due to having neighbors semi close.

Edit: While your place may have a North Pole address it probably isnt in North Pole. Actual city limits are tiny around 5 square miles. So just because your place has a NP address doesnt mean it is in North Pole

You will not have PM privileges until you have more post, but you can leave me a visitor message once you get here and we can chat. I can provide you with some info to get you started. I'm retired military and know a little about hunting here.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I live quite close to where you describe.... And don't mind helping folks. When you post enough, shoot me a pm. As far as shooting, I regularly hunt squirrels with a pellet rifle.... And practicing bow is fine too.... It seems that there is enough shooting from the base (howitzers are being trained on now) most folks don't give a flying bleep what you do.... Decent catch and release grayling fishing behind badger gas... Nice place for family too... Not many places where the kids can play on the swings while dad fishes!

Maybe I misspoke, the house is on a non-riverfront property, however behind the house is trees, and then the river. So technically is it not river front, but a very easy walk to the river. It may not be 'actually' North Pole city limits. The house is located off of badger road very close to badger gate. Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I'm retired military and know a little about hunting here.

Steve
    Yeah......just a little.

Likes to cook (a little) too...!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    Maybe I misspoke, the house is on a non-riverfront property, however behind the house is trees, and then the river. So technically is it not river front, but a very easy walk to the river. It may not be 'actually' North Pole city limits. The house is located off of badger road very close to badger gate. Thanks for the help so far everyone!
    Ok if your by badger gate you are quite a few miles out of city limits. That is pretty close to where quite a few forum members live. ( myself, stid2677, jcorwin and a couple others) and we are all prior military once you get up here shoot anyone of us a PM and we can point you in the right direction. BTW the first year is always the longest while waiting for that resident status!

Yeah I have looked into resident status already, I'm ready for the first year to be over with! I will shoot you guys a PM, looks like I should be up their around 1 August.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    That's a nice neighborhood. No ice fog and usually ten degrees warmer than town. Wait...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

For your first year... Use yuor military status to hunt Military property (about 3.5 MILLION acres) using the $25 Military license. This gives you access to Caribou, Moose, Black Bear, Grizzlies, and all of the small game.
    As for the squires? PLEASE Shoot as MANY as you like. They are terrible this year getting into roofs, wood piles ect. I currently use a pellet rifle or my bow to try and keep them in check.
    Moose hunting in North Pole (I.E. Fairbanks Management Area) is by Bow only. Bears, wolves, coyotes, and small games "can" be harvested with other gear. I like Ptarmigin with a sling shot from my front door.
    Once again: I also live by Badger Gate (Secong House from it actually) give a PM/ shout out and we can discuss further.

Another thing is to stop in the Gun Shops (I have to mention Alaskan Gun & Ammo on 6th) and ask questions.
    I am accosiatated with the shop, so I keep that brief.

The kings and chums will be in the Chena around the 4th of July, so fishing can start right soon for you.

Come January of 2014, I reccommned that you do NOT buy a license until you have your 365 and 1 days in State.
    No reason the muddy waters, with multiple licenses come August of 2014.
    In December of 2013, i reccommmend that you put in for a few draw hunts also.

Chris

Disabled Veteran

ANd SkinnyD... that ain't funny kidding him like that.
    This here's the valley floor, gets to negative 60 at times, and Ice Fog more than Fairbanks.
    Plus, Ice fog from Ft Wainwright 's power plant.

And yes, I noticed that I can't spell wirht a darn tonight.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    The kings and chums will be in the Chena around the 4th of July, so fishing can start right soon for you.
    It isn't legal to fish for salmon upstream of the dam, but even on the downstream side the salmon are in pretty disgusting shape - spongy flesh and parts falling off. There are grayling in the river now. The chums show up on the upper river in mid-to-late August. Haven't seen a lot of kings but what I have were in mid-July. I give 'em a lot of space and stay out of their spawning redds - more salmon is good salmon.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Ft Wainwright is Downstream from the dam.

Didn't type good to eat, should have typed "available, but not exactly palitable!"

Chris

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    That's a nice neighborhood. No ice fog and usually ten degrees warmer than town. Wait...
    you mean 60 degrees colder bro... colder.. and its not the river.. its the slew.. where many newbies get there very first AWT ticket.. pay attent to regs..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The Kings in the Chena and Salcha can make for decent eating. I try to take the kids on good run years and let them catch a few for the smoker. Are they sea fresh,, NO, but still are fine smoked.

Last edited by stid2677; 06-14-2013 at 22:01.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    Just don't shoot any deer in North Pole....would break too many hearts.
    oh hell let him at them... most are bloated and spoiled and the Cankels have better scores then the rack sizes do anyway..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you mean 60 degrees colder bro... colder.. and its not the river.. its the slew.. where many newbies get there very first AWT ticket.. pay attent to regs..
    Are you sure we're talking about the same Badger community? I've known it to be sunny, warm, and full of clean, well-manicured lawns. No mosquitoes either. Further, it's a regular winter wonderland from October to April because there is no air pollution, no a-holes on snowmobiles in the ROW, and the road is always sanded. Colder? Perhaps, but nothing a warm heart won't fix.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I appreciate the help! I am excited to start hunting, preferably deer/elk/caribou the first year, possibly a moose, but mainly the bigger animals probably next year. That gives me plenty of time to scout around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast