Thread: Bringing fish home to vac-pac

Default Bringing fish home to vac-pac

So I finally broke down and bought a chamber vac sealer. Been wanting one of them for, oh, a couple decades
    Most of my reds will come home and get canned or smoked, so no worries there...but I have 2 butt charters lined up and hope to have a good amount to bring home. I don't want to pay for vac-packing up there (when I just dropped big bucks on a good machine!) so...
    I'm a little stumped as to how I'll freeze them, and still be able to seperate them to pack them at home. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    So I finally broke down and bought a chamber vac sealer. Been wanting one of them for, oh, a couple decades
    Most of my reds will come home and get canned or smoked, so no worries there...but I have 2 butt charters lined up and hope to have a good amount to bring home. I don't want to pay for vac-packing up there (when I just dropped big bucks on a good machine!) so...
    I'm a little stumped as to how I'll freeze them, and still be able to seperate them to pack them at home. Any ideas?
    Bring a roll of cling wrap and wrap your pieces individually. The wrap comes off pretty easily without thawing.

Wrapping each piece with butcher paper should work. Another idea would be to put the pieces in the vac bags, freeze, send, and then run them thru your chamber vac when you get home.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Same thing would work with zip-locks as well. It's a bit more expensive than plastic wrap, but if you get them bulk at Costco they're not too bad. As long as you freeze them flat (not folded over), they should seal well in your chamber sealer. Congrats on the purchase - the up-front cost will be a money saver in the long run and will result in much better quality fish and game.

What we do to transport our fish home is much like already mentioned. I have found it best to portion the fish into what is usable as a size you would want to thaw. For instance, I have found that it is silly to leave silver or red fillets whole because I am usually only feeding two people and it is silly to thaw a whole side. So, I find ziplock quart bags to be about the right size. Portion the fish to fit in those bags, then freeze. When you return home you can move to a vacuum bag. We use a chamber sealer too and this has proven to work the best. A little wasteful but works great. Also, portioning into quart bags and keeping the fish flat makes it really easy to arrange in fish boxes and the freezer.

No to hijack the thread, but we used a chamber sealer from Alaska Butcher Supply in Anchorage a couple of years ago. Did an entire moose in an afternoon. Apparently not all chamber sealers are created equal. The Costco ones have plastic impellers, which I was told can eventually spin off the shaft, leaving you with a very quickly-turning spindle without blades. The ones at Alaska Butcher Supply have metal impellers. Huge difference.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    No to hijack the thread, but we used a chamber sealer from Alaska Butcher Supply in Anchorage a couple of years ago. Did an entire moose in an afternoon. Apparently not all chamber sealers are created equal. The Costco ones have plastic impellers, which I was told can eventually spin off the shaft, leaving you with a very quickly-turning spindle without blades. The ones at Alaska Butcher Supply have metal impellers. Huge difference.

-Mike
    My brother, father, and I went in together on one of the chamber sealers from Alaska Butcher Supply a few years ago, and that has been without a doubt one of the best investments I have made. We've packaged an insane amount of meat with that thing in the past few years with nary a hiccup. As I mentioned in my previous post, the up-front cost seems steep, but if you're serious about feeding your family quality fish and meat, there is no other way to go.

Mine is an ARY Vacmaster....not from a discount retailer. Hopefully it's the right one
    My thought now is to actually bring the vac bags and put them in those up there...maybe tape them shut temporarily? Then no switching bags at all and the portions will be right. Sound OK? Gallon storage bags for the reds, as I'll be thawing, canning and smoking soon after getting home.

Which model of the ARY Vacmaster? We have the VP215 (I think that is it) and it runs like a champ.

I fire up the generator on the travel trailer and vac seal on site? Is that a possible option for you?
    I have the Cabela's CG-15 and love it. Yours is definately bigger and better than mine....lol

http://www.homesteadharvest.com/vpcochstvase.html It's a new smaller model, still a bit of a pig at 50 lbs., so it won't be making the trip