Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nelchina/40Mile Caribou herds

Default Nelchina/40Mile Caribou herds

So, not sure if anyone else has heard this sad news: With the late spring, the nelchina/40 mile herd(basically same herd, just split different) did not make it to their calving grounds in time to calf. They were dropping calves long the migration route. Then, they did not make it across the copper river in time to be in the right grounds. ADF&G estimates a 100% loss of calves. My guess is hunting will sieze.

Has anyone heard of this, or is it hear-say? Its probably true since I drew a tag
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Well where did you hear it?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

First I have heard of this, did you contact F&G and ask them about it? I didn't see anything on their website about it.

I thought the Calves ran into a pack of yetis.. could be hear - say though.. I finally drew my first nelchina tag.. so with my luck.. its true..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I just got of the phone with the Tok office. They stated the 40 Mile herd didn't reach their typical calving grounds but where they did end up was plenty sufficient to sustain a positive year. No impact to the hunting on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I thought the Calves ran into a pack of yetis.. could be hear - say though.. I finally drew my first nelchina tag.. so with my luck.. its true..
    They did state the Nelchina herd was scattered during their calving season however they don't foresee any negative impacts on their numbers or hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    First I have heard of this, did you contact F&G and ask them about it? I didn't see anything on their website about it.

Rightnow its word of mouth out of Eureka with a guy contacting F&G. That's why I asked here to try for a viable source. they say since calved before the copper and gulkana that calves died crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Predator View Post
    I just got of the phone with the Tok office. They stated the 40 Mile herd didn't reach their typical calving grounds but where they did end up was plenty sufficient to sustain a positive year. No impact to the hunting on them.

They did state the Nelchina herd was scattered during their calving season however they don't foresee any negative impacts on their numbers or hunting season.
    Alright, thats good news. WHEW. Glad I asked here. Good call Ak Predator, rep points your way.

Smile

So the claim I heard up and around Chickaloon that a pack of yetis consumed 90.3% of the 2013 caribou calves was bogus? The nerve of People..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    So the claim I heard up and around Chickaloon that a pack of yetis consumed 90.3% of the 2013 caribou calves was bogus? The nerve of People..
    The only bogus part of the claim is that it wasn't yetis that got em. The yeti's cousin, tundra wookies, is what really got em. 90.3% is spot on though!

I heard it was from tourists DLP'n the cows.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Glad to hear Yeti snaring will be opening and Wookies will be target from the air with drones.

A Nelchina tag is the first tag i've drawn up here, I would have been super bummed.

Same here. I was about to get a little worried.

I've been up and down the Tok Cutoff six times in the past three weeks and have observed about 75% of the caribou WITH a calf in tow. I did see one drowned calf on Sourdough Creek (Richardson).

Sounds like there could be some good float hunting for bears to be had.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Glad to hear Yeti snaring will be opening and Wookies will be target from the air with drones.

A Nelchina tag is the first tag i've drawn up here, I would have been super bummed.
    The new born Yeti yubs are taught how to hunt calves in June. There still may be a drop in bou population to worry about...

Better send in the State to lower the Yeti count. Meat will go tithe villages @$17/lb. Hides will go to auction.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    So, not sure if anyone else has heard this sad news: With the late spring, the nelchina/40 mile herd(basically same herd, just split different) did not make it to their calving grounds in time to calf. They were dropping calves long the migration route. Then, they did not make it across the copper river in time to be in the right grounds. ADF&G estimates a 100% loss of calves. My guess is hunting will sieze.

Has anyone heard of this, or is it hear-say? Its probably true since I drew a tag
    Bogus. I talked to a bio in the Glennallen office last week and he stated concern about the difficulty for them to get to the kind of food they will be wanting to but said nothing along those lines. That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard so far this year.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Keep in mind that the hunters came in 2000 animals under quota last year as well. Also keep in mind that the Nelchina herd grew in number over the 2011-2012 winter, which was far worse as far as snowfall goes. I don't believe any of the horror stories until the bio's do their survey.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post

I sure hope this was an April fools joke on your part and not that you actually believe this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Keep in mind that the hunters came in 2000 animals under quota last year as well. Also keep in mind that the Nelchina herd grew in number over the 2011-2012 winter, which was far worse as far as snowfall goes. I don't believe any of the horror stories until the bio's do their survey.
    New Hunting Reg says it is either sex this year. Higher Harvest %'s are looking good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast