Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING! regarding Chris' Jigs

Default WARNING! regarding Chris' Jigs

I finally had the opportunity to chase halibut out of Homer. We could not have asked for better weather. (and its still going, amazing weather). We didn't catch anything really big but managed to catch a limit of fish with 4 people fishing. 2 nice fish out of the limit, 64lb and 121lb. We fished bait as well as Chris' jigs. Both bait and the jigs were producing fish. I have to admit I do enjoy jig fishing. That said, I just wanted to warn everyone that has purchased jigs from Chris'.... HANG ON! **** do those jigs catch fish. I bought 10 or so jigs and they all produced. I tried most of them when the tide went slack and the problem that I had was there was one jig that would only catch doubles. The first time I thought it was great. The second time, thinking wow how often does this happen. Third time I couldn't believe it. No kidding, 3 times we got doubles on the skirted jig. We finally lost the jig. My son was trying to gaff 2 fish at once and that proved to be a mistake. Oh well, they all have to learn. But what a day and what a jig! Unfortunately I only purchased 1 of that particular jig. My mistake. Chris you and I need to talk. So again, fair warning those jigs of Chris' are dangerous. They catch alot of fish!

Thanks for the positive review!
    That is my current personal favorite jig the torpedo. Especaially in the glow white color with UV blast clear coat.
    It is a Halibut slayer for sure.
    Glad you liked the jigs! I can always make more for a repeat customer.
    3 doubles in a row is a pretty good feat you must have been in a good fishin hole.

btw maybe I need to make you a single hook version? Or will doubles on a jig become the norm on your boat?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Forgot to Ask how did the jig itself hold up to 3 doubles in a row?
    If you were to find a similiar jig in a retail store it would most likely have brass eyes and cheap made in China split rings.
    The split rings I use are USA made and are rated at 120#.They are a 2x strong size 6 unlike regular 60# rings found on many commercial jigs.
    I also use stainless steel eyes. A store bought jig would have had brass eyes which would not have handled 3 doubles.
    That is one reason I got into jig making. I wanted to use better components than most commercial jigs used.
    I had a similiar jig to the torpedo and the brass eyes kept tearing out. Now I don't have that issue at all.
    Again thanks for the positive review and i'm sorry you lost the jig.

Ok, is there a website for these infamous jigs? Where can I buy a few for my July trip to Ketchikan?

Just stating the facts Chris. I was very impressed. They are fish killers.

I rigged the torpedo with a single 7/0 on a swivel to avoid the doubles.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I rigged this up last night, I'm curious to see how it'll do.

As far as the durability of the jigs, I didn't notice any paint chipping on this one.

Between my son and I we took 4 yellow eye with the jig and I was bouncing bottom hard enough to make the stainless eye on the bottom of the jig no longer round. Most of my painted jigs seem to be missing paint after such use.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    Ok, is there a website for these infamous jigs? Where can I buy a few for my July trip to Ketchikan?
    Sorry no website and for those who have asked no they are not available in retail stores.
    The jigs are handcrafted by me at home here in Alaska. They feature powder paint coatings and quality components all around. I'll try and post a picture of the jig in question. This jig has a nice double skirt in a clear UV with glitter or white.
    I did a jig sale this spring and sorry to say if you missed out you will have to wait awhile as I have fishing to do besides my day job on the slope.
    For those on my jig test crew or repeat customers needing something arrangements can be made.
    I do have a few extra blanks made so I'll send you a PM regarding getting you a couple of jigs since you were the first to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I rigged this up last night, I'm curious to see how it'll do.

As far as the durability of the jigs, I didn't notice any paint chipping on this one.

Between my son and I we took 4 yellow eye with the jig and I was bouncing bottom hard enough to make the stainless eye on the bottom of the jig no longer round. Most of my painted jigs seem to be missing paint after such use.
    Isn't powder paint great Paul?
    You know that jig sort of resembles another Alaska made jig.lol

That powder coat is great stuff, and the glow in the dark is pretty slick. A few years back I picked up some chinese butterfly jig copies. They work quite well, but the paint is severly chipped after not much use. But I can't complain as they are ~1/3 the cost of butterfly jigs and it doesn't hurt nearly as much to loose less expensive jigs to the rocks.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

So this is the jig that was catching the doubles.
    I have sinced switched to an american made eagle claw plated hook and american made 2x strong split rings.
    I also got a new wire tool so the skirts are wired on better.
    The picture shows the jig sans skirt on the top two so you can see how it got its name as it is torpedo shaped.
    The hook are placed to face opposite sides so however they hit it they get hooked!
    A halibut slayer for sure!
    IMAG0030 (1).jpg

To be fair, Chris is selling them below market value. He could market them as "handmade in alaska" lures at $20 a pop and still get it.

But I can't complain as they are ~1/3 the cost of butterfly jigs and it doesn't hurt nearly as much to loose less expensive jigs to the rocks.

OK you guys have got to stop catching fish on my jigs and reporting about it on here.
    I keep getting requests for jigs everyday and it is the middle of fishing season for cripes sake.
    I think I may have to request you all leave the jigs I made you in your tackle boxes to avoid catching too many fish.
    I think that leaving them out of the water is the only guaranteed way to avoid catching too many fish and reporting those catches on the forum.
    That way I won't recieve any more jig requests andme and my wife can spend our summer fishing,camping,gold mining and plain ole enjoying what Alaska has to offer.
    Please consider this request and have a great summer everyone!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    OK you guys have got to stop catching fish on my jigs and reporting about it on here.
    I keep getting requests for jigs everyday and it is the middle of fishing season for cripes sake.
    I think I may have to request you all leave the jigs I made you in your tackle boxes to avoid catching too many fish.
    I think that leaving them out of the water is the only guaranteed way to avoid catching too many fish and reporting those catches on the forum.
    That way I won't recieve any more jig requests andme and my wife can spend our summer fishing,camping,gold mining and plain ole enjoying what Alaska has to offer.
    Please consider this request and have a great summer everyone!
    Chris
    Fat chance! I will be fishing them for the next 4 days and they will probably be in a highlight reel. We appreciate ya Chris.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Fat chance! I will be fishing them for the next 4 days and they will probably be in a highlight reel. We appreciate ya Chris.
    Darn you anyway!
    OK OK I get it. But you have to admit making jigs instead of fishing in the prime of the season can be a bummer. Especially when you guys post up reports and videos of all this great fishing going on.

Didn't your mamma tell you, if you make jigs you need to make enough to share with everybody

I'm thinking of rigging the torpedo jig with assist hooks. I'm sure there's no problem with the hooks torquing off the side of the jig, but I like the direct connection between the rod and hook with assist hooks.

Didn't your mamma tell you, if you make jigs you need to make enough to share with everybody

I'm thinking of rigging the torpedo jig with assist hooks. I'm sure there's no problem with the hooks torquing off the side of the jig, but I like the direct connection between the rod and hook with assist hooks.
    I think my momma taught me to fill my freezer while the fish/game/berries are available and uneccessary things can wait until the larder is full.
    I have plenty of jigs in my boats. I am sure you do as well.
    Those who were late on the ball during the jig sale are the ones you should be preaching to.
    Be prepared is a common theme I hear. Some of us bought jigs (or the molds and supplies to make them)preseason and some did not.
    I will eventually have a jig sale again I suppose. But there is a lot to do inbetween.

I have looked at many ways to rig the torpedo but the standard rigging works well enough I haven't considered changing it. It should work well for you that way though. Then again with a single assist hook it does become hard to catch a double on one jig.

Ok, my bad.... on bringing up the jig discussion. Sounds like Chris has gotten too much attention on his crafty jigs. I guess that is a good problem to have. Paul, I like the way you, think I may try a trailer hook too. I am looking forward to getting after the flat fish again this weekend. Film at 5:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    Ok, my bad.... on bringing up the jig discussion. Sounds like Chris has gotten too much attention on his crafty jigs. I guess that is a good problem to have. Paul, I like the way you, think I may try a trailer hook too. I am looking forward to getting after the flat fish again this weekend. Film at 5:00.
    No biggie Mark it is all good and I'm glad you are having some good success with the jigs.
    My guess is some people weren't on here enough to catch the sale or wanted some positive reports before committing their $$. It is understandable but like I said these are handcrafted jigs that do take some time to make.
    I could make them quicker and cheaper with cheaper components but you can buy those in the store all day long.
    You know I never intended this hobby to lead me to selling jigs. I really just wanted some unique and quality jigs for my own use and for family and friends.
    Once the busy summer season slows down I plan to hit up an accountant to figure out everything I need so I can legally sell larger amounts of jigs. I do not plan to sell them in a retail setting but maybe an annual spring jig sale here and a flea market or two throughout the year.
    You know uncle barrack wants his excise taxes.
    I really only want this to pay for itself and so my personal jigs are free but not to make any real money at it. Thats why I have a day job.

Chris- Have you ever thought of trying stinger style hooks with your torpedo's? Not that it sounds like you need better/more hookup rates, I was more curious on how well they compare to what you are doing now! PK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast