Thread: New EO for Kings in the Salt on lower Penn.

Default New EO for Kings in the Salt on lower Penn.

Looks like no more king fishing off Ninilchik-Deep Creek - Anchor Rivers after June 15th.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...%20closure.pdf
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Charterboat Operator

wow that sucks! i know it is hard for a lot of people to differ from the spawners and feeders, but the fishing has been rather good in that area for feeders, we have release most of the spawners doing our part to help the runs and still fih
    time to go into Kachamak i guess.

But halibut are still fair game in the inshore zone, the way I read this. I fish for halibut south of the conservation zone markers at Deep Creek, and sometimes at Whiskey Gulch -- and so I'm reading the regs closely. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. Would love to catch a king this year, but I'll have to try other waters for them this year. That's OK -- I want that stock to improve and will do my small part willingly...

Hate to be sarcastic about the serious problem we have with our wild king runs, but I'd like to know what took so long. They knew before the first fish even showed up that this was going to be a bad year. The ADFG are the ones who predicted this but did nothing. I guess the local biologist had family in town and she wanted to make sure they got their fish before closing it.

Charterboat Operator

looks like you better book now for your fall and winter and spring king trips!!! I know people who know people who fish and catch kings all winter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    looks like you better book now for your fall and winter and spring king trips!!! I know people who know people who fish and catch kings all winter!!!
    Ha! No doubt. I haven't even considered chasing kings this summer, but I was just talking with a friend two days ago about booking a trip for November - or prime time, as I was referring to it.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Ha! No doubt. I haven't even considered chasing kings this summer, but I was just talking with a friend two days ago about booking a trip for November - or prime time, as I was referring to it.
    Rodger that!!! Pretty hard to beat November king trolling for sure!!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    so who would you reccomend for a trip??? might have to check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Hate to be sarcastic about the serious problem we have with our wild king runs, but I'd like to know what took so long. They knew before the first fish even showed up that this was going to be a bad year. The ADFG are the ones who predicted this but did nothing. I guess the local biologist had family in town and she wanted to make sure they got their fish before closing it.
    Try and understand the problem before casting stones. ADFG has their hands tied by the politicians and state laws. This closure certainly needed to happen pre-season but the charter industry has a strong lobby, just the same way the guides have kept the river open when most locals are screaming for a closure (me included). The only feel good about keeping the saltwater fishery open is (for me anyhow) is it seems most of the salt charters are run by locals.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these king runs need to start CLOSED and open on EO when escapment is projected to be met. Then what in the world would the peninsula do for an economy...