Thread: Yamaha outboard help

Default Yamaha outboard help

I have a yamaha 35/50 out board. It runs great at idle. As soon as I go to full throttle to get on step I can run for about 1-2 minutes and then I get an alarm. Im thinking it may need a new water pump and thermostat but Ive never changed a water pump on a boat motor.
    Is this something I could do my self?

Do I have another problem possibly?

The shop is about 2 weeks out and I wanted to use my boat next week. Don't really want to pay 500 dollars or so to have it sitting for weeks.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

The water pump is easy to change out, just drop the foot and replace the impeller and seals. Just make sure you remove all the bolts and it should come off easily or at most require a light tap from a rubber mallet.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

my brand new T8 did the same thing, took it to Dewey's under warranty, they said the carb was gummed up from having had fuel sit in it while it was on the shelf waiting to be sold, they cleaned the carb and it ran fine ever since

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    my brand new T8 did the same thing, took it to Dewey's under warranty, they said the carb was gummed up from having had fuel sit in it while it was on the shelf waiting to be sold, they cleaned the carb and it ran fine ever since
    Its definitely not fuel problem. According to the owners manual the boat will only sound an alarm if you have low oil pressure or overheat. Im thinking that the water pump impeller simply isnt picking up enough water while the boat is at WOT. The outlet stream seems to weaken up while on step and I believe it even stopped once or twice although its hard to see it when your trying to look in front and behind you at the same time. The oil is practically brand new and shows no sign of problem. I took a peak at a you-tube video on impeller change and it seems pretty straight forward. Im going to do it tomorrow morning and then throw the boat in the lake to test it out. If it does it again after the new water pump then Im up the creek without a paddle I guess. I have a feeling this will work though.

Rule #1, outboards "MUST" always be pissing - always. Depending on the amount you use your engine, your water impeller should checked each season or at the least every other season. Higher RPMs, stronger pee. Get someone to help you if you can't check it on your own. You should also have a spare impeller with you at all times as well, if not a full water pump. And you should practice how to change it out (even on the water) if time allows. Plus keep a few extra nuts with you too. Don't ask how I know all this...
    Tony

I changed the pump impeller and all the guts out today. Problem fixed. Confirmed with about 20 minutes of WOT running out on the lake. It was actually very simple and I am going to pick another kit up so I can do it on the water if necessary.

There is a plastic ring on the inside of the rubber impeller for my outboard and those two pieces separated so a higher RPM the plastic inside portion would just spin around inside of the rubber pump impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Rule # You should also have a spare impeller with you at all times as well, if not a full water pump. And you should practice how to change it out (even on the water) if time allows. Plus keep a few extra nuts with you too. Don't ask how I know all this...
    you and I must have taken the same class on water pumps....~~

Its really easy youtube how to change thermostat on yamaha outboard and the samethingfor the water pump all your gonna need is a rubber impeller and a thermostat its gonna be 40$ for ecerything thermostat is a 10min jon and the impeller is about 20min

Didnt see your comment nevermind.