Thread: Car Camping within 3-6 hours drive from Anchorage.

Default Car Camping within 3-6 hours drive from Anchorage.

New to the forum!

moved to AK last year from new york and never looked back!

My sister is coming to visit from Colorado and wants to do some car camping. After looking at Denali's website and reading up on their facilities, I don't want to go there. I have a dog, I want a camp fire, I want to use my car to store stuff etc.

Does anyone know of a place that has camping somewhere up north that would have great viewing of Denali, some hiking and great scenery close by? I stayed at a place in willow, but it was more oriented for RV's and families.

Im looking for somewhere where the neighbors aren't on top of you, and if they have canoe rentals the better.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex

Check out the denali hwy.
    Runs East/West from Cantwell to Paxson.
    BK

My husband and I just returned from Denali on Monday and we had a wonderful campsite at Riley Creek. Put up a tent, lots of other people had tents as well. We had a campfire. There were dogs, but maybe those were in campers, don't know for sure on that part, but I did see dogs and people walking them. Even though there are people around, you don't really see them. Denali is full of adventures and everyone is gone for the most part, just coming back to camp to sleep.

As far as you viewing Denali, good luck with that. The mountain is usually socked in with clouds, but there are times you do get to see it. Unfortunately for us this last trip, we did not see it. We had alot of rain and chilly weather.

There are other campgrounds in Denali and those are probably the ones that will not allow dogs, because they are further into the park.

You do have to keep everything in your vehicles when you are not in camp and definitely at night time. If you don't want to keep your coolers and things in your car, they have storage containers at the facility in each row for storing stuff. They are just trying to keep it a safe environment for campers to enjoy.

I seen other campgrounds along the way that you can stay at as well. Did you do a search in google for Parks Highway campgrounds? This would be your best bet if you don't want to stay inside Denali.

How about Byers Lake? It's near Denali and has the canoe rentals you desire. It's a quiet campground fairly well off the road and has great views of the mountain. If you hike or canoe across the lake you'll be rewarded with a great mountain shot. There is a trail all the way around the lake and it's quite easy. The veteran's memorial is about a 1/4 mile hike from camp and has an info center and viewing area. Be aware it's a pretty beary place though. With no traffic I think we make it there in about 2 1/2 hrs, it's around mile 144 on the Parks Hwy. if I'm not mistaken.

I would vote for Byers Lake as well. The campsites are wooded and not side by side. One of my favorite memories is sitting in the middle of the lake in my canoe, looking at Denali and soaking up some rays. Be "bear aware" and bring plenty of bug dope. Good luck.

The trick is getting there early enough to get a spot. Most campgrounds fill up fast, so you have to get there quick to claim yours!

I always wished we had a little assistant to just run a day ahead of us to secure our site (or two if camping with friends).

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    I always wished we had a little assistant to just run a day ahead of us to secure our site (or two if camping with friends).
    You can't buy them. You can only grow them.

We're working on that! Two little ankle biters with hopefully more to come!