Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian river

Default Russian river

Heard many mixed results of oppening day, what do you have?

Me and my partner limited in about 2 hours, if you know what your doing there were enough fish moving through while we were there to produce constant action. I probably had a total of 10 fish on before I finished. Found a great new hole too which was a nice bonus.

Awsome! Great to hear ppl are catching fish! I imagine alot of ppl, hoping to do some fishing after work the next few days. Broke my hand last week so i need to figure how to reel with a cast on!
    fish on!

Got my limit in about 4 hours. Took me a bit to get into a spot with an eddy, where the fish were sitting, once I got into that hole it took me about 45 min to get my limit. I landed 3 and lost two. It was pretty nice in the afternoon, there was only about 20-30 people out there and spread out quite a bit. And the fish look really healthy this year, I got one that was pushing 10 pounds!

The road construction down there is crazy this year. I think I counted 8 construction zones, which added about 40 min to the drive.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Got my limit in about 4 hours. Took me a bit to get into a spot with an eddy, where the fish were sitting, once I got into that hole it took me about 45 min to get my limit. I landed 3 and lost two. It was pretty nice in the afternoon, there was only about 20-30 people out there and spread out quite a bit. And the fish look really healthy this year, I got one that was pushing 10 pounds!

The road construction down there is crazy this year. I think I counted 8 construction zones, which added about 40 min to the drive.
    i like to fish across the ferry on the kenai. think its worth going down for that?

We walked down below the ferry yesterday and it was very slow going. Saw some hook ups but pretty sparse. Not to say fish aren't pushing up now. Was a lot of wildlife guys down there yesterday. Talked to a few and they made it sound like there are a lot more fishing coming.

Figure I'd add a bit more about our trip. I didn't start fishing until after noon as I had friends in town and I was trying to help them. Issue we had was the water level. Its VERY high. I recommend anyone going, bring a friend and a net! The normal holes had fish and saw some good spurts going up river, not huge like in years past but 2s and 3s, enough to put fish throughout the river but with the water level places to bank the fish just were far between. I struggled a bit to finally dial in the fish (lots of foul hooks) but once I adjusted my leader a bit I had my last 2 fish in about 5 casts.

Guys fishing around me were questioning releasing fish. They kept saying "It's in front of the gill plate its good!" I'm like no, read the regs, it clearly states INSIDE the mouth under the jaw does not count as inside the mouth...

For people who know the river and know how to fish it, you will get your fish. Helping newbies.... I'd wait for the water level to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashesta View Post
    Issue we had was the water level. Its VERY high.
    Absolutely right about the high water. The key to fishing it is finding somewhere that the fish are squezed through a narrow part of the river.

Word is there is a trooper dedicated to the construction zones from ANC to Sterling so drive safe!

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    i like to fish across the ferry on the kenai. think its worth going down for that?
    Abosolutely, you can't catch fish with no line in the water!

I was fishing downstream from the tree that hangs out over the water, once you find a spot where they stack up it's pretty quick to get a limit.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

We arrive on sunday, and the plan is to spend a couple days in Seward, not hitting the Russian till wednesday. Now these early fish have me rethinking... Think it would be better to head straight to the Russian sunday afternoon? Is the high water from rain, so maybe it'll be dropping soon?

Thanks for the updates guy. I'm headed down tonight after work. Not sure if we will hit up the Russian or go down river of the ferry.
    I'll report back in the morning.

Travlere, the high water is due to higher temps melting all the snow up in the mountians and pushing more water down. Both choices are good, would reccomend going to seward first and fish nash road and snag reds, then head to the russian wed.

With the EO that just went into effect for the lower Kenai peninsula waters closing, does that mean Russian River will become packed ??

Yep...just like there was 40-50 boats at the mouth of the Deshka at 0600 trying for the few measley Kings trying to get through

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    Yep...just like there was 40-50 boats at the mouth of the Deshka at 0600 trying for the few measley Kings trying to get through
    Only 40-50? Probably more than that.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Any fish in the Russian yet. I was thinking of hiking from the falls down with the fly rod.

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    Any fish in the Russian yet. I was thinking of hiking from the falls down with the fly rod.
    Go on over to AOJ...KK posted up a nice video a few days ago about the reds your questioning about

thanks akruss. Thats the current plan anyway, I plan to hit the reds in Seward too, thats why I originally planned to head there first. Just not sure how long the reds stay in the Russian...I mean in the lower river/confluence area.

Plan is to Dipnet about 35/40 pounds of Filets next week at the Falls.

Lol good luck.

Lol good luck.

Subsistence Permits, Thanks for the wish of luck. We get them in the freezer then go back for another load. "So Yummy in the Tummy"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast